Freaky Taunt Misses on Thorim

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Freaky Taunt Misses on Thorim

Postby Kihra » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:02 pm

This could just be incredibly weird RNG, but when tanking Thorim, my Righteous Defense has an incredibly high miss rate (like way out of proportion to how much it should be missing). Last night on Thorim I had to taunt off the other tank 4 times, and it missed all 4 times. Previous weeks I've encountered the same thing (>50% miss rate). My Hand of Reckoning always hits and my Righteous Defense practically always misses.

It's probably just freakishly bad RNG luck, but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed anything similar.
Kihra
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:01 pm

Re: Freaky Taunt Misses on Thorim

Postby Kezia » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:34 pm

You sure it's not taunt diminishing returns?
Rhetoric of the Nightfall - Alterac Mountains (US)

Guild Master, Virulent // www.virulentam.wowstead.com // www.twitter.com/virulentam
Kezia
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Freaky Taunt Misses on Thorim

Postby Kihra » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:36 pm

Kezia wrote:You sure it's not taunt diminishing returns?


Yeah, we're talking "Miss" not "Immune". I am not spell hit capped and don't use the Righteous Defense glyph, so it's probably just freakishly bad luck.
Kihra
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:01 pm

Re: Freaky Taunt Misses on Thorim

Postby Corpsicle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:50 pm

I suppose a solution when you have both hand of reckoning and righteous defense miss at the same time would be to Hand of Protection the other tank. I am reasonably sure that my co tank and I are at the #1 and #2 spots on Thorim because of taunt swapping so if it worked, it would force Thorim to you for the duration of Hand of Protection. By the time HoProt was done, you'd likely have had a chance to taunt again.
Corpsicle
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Freaky Taunt Misses on Thorim

Postby Kezia » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:26 pm

Kihra wrote:
Kezia wrote:You sure it's not taunt diminishing returns?


Yeah, we're talking "Miss" not "Immune". I am not spell hit capped and don't use the Righteous Defense glyph, so it's probably just freakishly bad luck.

Just making sure ;)
Rhetoric of the Nightfall - Alterac Mountains (US)

Guild Master, Virulent // www.virulentam.wowstead.com // www.twitter.com/virulentam
Kezia
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Freaky Taunt Misses on Thorim

Postby Belloc » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:25 pm

Corpsicle wrote:I suppose a solution when you have both hand of reckoning and righteous defense miss at the same time would be to Hand of Protection the other tank. I am reasonably sure that my co tank and I are at the #1 and #2 spots on Thorim because of taunt swapping so if it worked, it would force Thorim to you for the duration of Hand of Protection. By the time HoProt was done, you'd likely have had a chance to taunt again.

If your other tank is a paladin, I strongly recommend against doing that. If my co-tank BoP'd me, I'd be very pissed when I found out that I couldn't use divine protection.
User avatar
Belloc
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Silent Earth

Re: Freaky Taunt Misses on Thorim

Postby Rhazi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:47 am

Belloc wrote:
Corpsicle wrote:I suppose a solution when you have both hand of reckoning and righteous defense miss at the same time would be to Hand of Protection the other tank. I am reasonably sure that my co tank and I are at the #1 and #2 spots on Thorim because of taunt swapping so if it worked, it would force Thorim to you for the duration of Hand of Protection. By the time HoProt was done, you'd likely have had a chance to taunt again.

If your other tank is a paladin, I strongly recommend against doing that. If my co-tank BoP'd me, I'd be very pissed when I found out that I couldn't use divine protection.


Well, Divine Protection won't help when you are dead from a crit. Either you use it when you realize the other tank isn't taunting off you fast enough, or you let yourself be BoP'd. The latter is the better choice anyway since that gets Thorim off you.
Rhazi
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Freaky Taunt Misses on Thorim

Postby Corpsicle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:11 am

My co tank is a DK so wouldn't be an issue with Divine Protection or not. If I had a pally co tank, I'd probably ask him to Divine Shield Thorim off in Vent (assuming he didn't already have forbearance and DS wasn't on cooldown), if it looked like he'd be dead if he didn't and if I had 2nd on threat. It's better than being dead and divine shield is > Hand of Protection. It would also allow him to use Divine Sacrifice at that moment, which would be a nice bit of mitigation for me and for the raid.

I also have a cat druid around me, so even in 10 man a good option is to have the cat go bear for a 5 second period and pull Thorim off the tank with the debuff until I'm able to grab him. I haven't used the BoP trick, I have used my feral druid this way and she lives long enough for the DR on taunt to go away and for me to get Thorim. It isn't something that typicallly comes up - usually tank swaps go off cleanly for us.
Corpsicle
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 pm


Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests