[10]I need help with ulduar 10 and tanking pls.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10]I need help with ulduar 10 and tanking pls.

Postby Crazyknight » Sun May 31, 2009 9:16 pm

Well help and opinions , right now whenvr I get to tank cuz we got a new DK tank and to be honest who needs warriors and paladins if you have the almighty DKs tanking :(. Don't get me wrong I like the guy cuz unlike most dk he can play well and some stuff is way more easier with him tanking , or idk maybe it is because almost all heals go on him as MT I forgot how that feels :D. The point is we already clear the Antechamber and went to try hodir , not actually an official try but we had time left on raid and we just wanted to explore.

Thing is what I'm I missing in my gear as far as stats cuz it seems like if I switch to MT what he tanks even with almost same stats he has and skills ,idk I go down faster and harder unless I manage my cooldowns carefully like the JC trinket, valor medal dodge trinket , bubble, indestructible pot, and so on. I keep ss and holy shield up all the time also.

Do I need an upgrade on my stats? is not like I'm way behind on stats compared to him to be honest. he is blood atm with points in other trees.

And what about the boss Hodir do I need something else? we try to 2 tank it with my being the OT taking the blazing frost or however its called and he MT , I went down like in 1 or 2 hits with belt,chest and boots resist frost gear plus frost aura. Did the healers were slow , I miss cooldowns or do I need more gear? I think I could use bubble but is not like he will wait for my cooldowns everytime to hit me.

Keep in mind this is for 10 man raid with 10 man gear , we are not doing it with 25 man gear and raiding 10 man, some of us do have some old 25 man gear from Naxx , Maly and emblems but not from 25 man Ulduar.

And also we only tried it once we didn't really got to try again to see what happend but I still want to get sure if I'm good or does pally and warriors suck a bit more atm compared to DKs and druids on ulduar?
Crazyknight

Re: [10]I need help with ulduar 10 and tanking pls.

Postby Crazyknight » Sun May 31, 2009 9:18 pm

Opps forgot armory link

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... razyknight

dammit it shows me on holy gear atm so I hope when you guys check it out is updated .
Crazyknight

Postby Crazyknight » Sun May 31, 2009 9:21 pm

But while it refreshes I have around

29k unbuff health

29% dodge buff

17% parry buff

17-19% block buff without holy shield

So buff I have more than the avoidance macro and 25k+ armor

I eat hit rating food .....have around 34k-36k buff health depending on fight and classes on raid....
Crazyknight

Postby Faro » Sun May 31, 2009 11:01 pm

Without a link to your protection gear on armory I can't help too much with achievable upgrades, but just based on your stats it sounds about right for entering 10m Ulduar. You *are* harder to heal than a dk through no fault of your own. You are *not* impossible to heal, and there are fights where it's more appropriate to have one of you tanking than the other.

Just as an example, the DK is really good for adds on Ignis, so if your healers can handle it you should be tanking Ignis. I'd let the DK tank XT because he's easier to heal and you can handle the assault bots reasonably well. I'd put the paladin on Steelbreaker, and the dk on Stormcaller/Runemaster just because you can cleanse yourself.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Teneb » Sun May 31, 2009 11:31 pm

Armory still shows holy gear so I can't help there. I can however offer a few useful tips. I noticed you didn't mention salvation in your cooldown list, try the glyph out. Some people love it, some people not so much. 3pc frost resist and aura is more than sufficient to tank hodir. We normally just use one tank with those and he tanks the whole fight. However, why are you tanking the heavy damage phase if he takes less damage than you? Makes no sense IMO. If you're going to be stuck as the FR tank then use 4 pieces, can't hurt. One hit should never kill you in Uld, but if I take two hits without a heal my healers know that the incoherent mumbling on vent is a tank that's about to be looking at his combat log. Cooldowns are also not required for frozen blows, they just help.

Also as the previous poster said, some things are beter for certain tanks. Ignis adds for the normal strat, a dk is amazing. If you zerg it, the pally is amazing. Steelbreaker=pally for the cleanse. Frozen blows=dk for the magic cds. XT adds if using two tanks=pally for the block value.

I treat my cooldowns as a cycle. Bubble Wall, Salvation, and both trinkets. This will give you a cd every 40 seconds which will generally catch a lot of the timed burst attacks. Hope this helps.
Teneb

Postby Seloei » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:15 am

also, hodir deals considerably more damage during frozen blows to the raid and to you than he does while it's normal mode. Theres a lot of aoe damage going on and you are taking a whalop of a beating.
Seloei

Postby Crazyknight » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:28 am

Teneb wrote:Armory still shows holy gear so I can't help there. I can however offer a few useful tips. I noticed you didn't mention salvation in your cooldown list, try the glyph out. Some people love it, some people not so much. 3pc frost resist and aura is more than sufficient to tank hodir. We normally just use one tank with those and he tanks the whole fight. However, why are you tanking the heavy damage phase if he takes less damage than you? Makes no sense IMO. If you're going to be stuck as the FR tank then use 4 pieces, can't hurt. One hit should never kill you in Uld, but if I take two hits without a heal my healers know that the incoherent mumbling on vent is a tank that's about to be looking at his combat log. Cooldowns are also not required for frozen blows, they just help.

Also as the previous poster said, some things are beter for certain tanks. Ignis adds for the normal strat, a dk is amazing. If you zerg it, the pally is amazing. Steelbreaker=pally for the cleanse. Frozen blows=dk for the magic cds. XT adds if using two tanks=pally for the block value.

I treat my cooldowns as a cycle. Bubble Wall, Salvation, and both trinkets. This will give you a cd every 40 seconds which will generally catch a lot of the timed burst attacks. Hope this helps.

Sorry I don't think I remember or know what you are talking about salvation. Where in here can I look that up?
Crazyknight

Postby Faro » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:06 pm

Crazyknight wrote:

Sorry I don't think I remember or know what you are talking about salvation. Where in here can I look that up?

They're talking about this.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Jasari » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:16 pm

It always raises a red flag whenever I read a post with ridiculous internet slang like "cuz" and "idk" and with terrible punctuation rather than actually taking the two seconds to make yourself sound intelligent. So based on your inability to write in any kind of comprehensible fashion I can assume the DK is being chosen over you because KEEP IT CIVIL.

So to make this post "constructive criticism": Please, please, please, take the time to not sound like a retarded monkey when making posts. It might not help you with the specific tanking problem you're having right now but it will help you a lot in life.

Jasari.

You know how you should be posting. That last line in your first paragraph really wasn't helpful at all. I've edited it.

-Guillex
Jasari

Postby Corpsicle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Jasari wrote:So to make this post "constructive criticism": Please, please, please, take the time to not sound like a retarded monkey when making posts. It might not help you with the specific tanking problem you're having right now but it will help you a lot in life.

Even if you don't use correct grammar or make spelling mistakes, using capitalization and not using idk, whenvr and other internet idiocies would be a great start. Sounding like a mature person instead of an idiot kid will make many you will encounter take you much more seriously.

On topic to your post, you should double check your defense rating. In your current gear you sit at 687 defense rating, or 539 defense skill, which is below the defense minimum. If you are not sitting at 689 defense rating, or 540 defense skill, it is possible you got crit by Hodir, which would indeed be a fast way to an unpleasant death. You should also check out the various threads on Hodir, as well as the stratfu.com guides and the like. There are many things you do NOT want to do on Hodir, such as standing in bad things, standing still, standing still in bad things, etc.
Corpsicle

Postby Splug » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:45 pm

I've always kind of felt compelled to point out typos in a line correcting someone else's presentation of text.
Jasari wrote:So based on your inability to write in any kind of comprehensible fashion I can assume the DK is being chosen over you because you KEEP IT CIVIL.

(Sorry - it was there, and it stood out to me. I know your motive was really to help him... but I read it and had to comment.)

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Crazyknight » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Jasari wrote:It always raises a red flag whenever I read a post with ridiculous internet slang like "cuz" and "idk" and with terrible punctuation rather than actually taking the two seconds to make yourself sound intelligent. So based on your inability to write in any kind of comprehensible fashion I can assume the DK is being chosen over you because KEEP IT CIVIL.

So to make this post "constructive criticism": Please, please, please, take the time to not sound like a retarded monkey when making posts. It might not help you with the specific tanking problem you're having right now but it will help you a lot in life.

sigh well sorry but maybe just maybe my first language is not english so even if I don't think I have to ask for forgiveness for not being good with english in typing I just want to say it should not affect the "constructive criticism" I am looking for. I am a capable tank and been only having problems on Ulduar and not that much is just I see DKs as a better class on some fights but I still want to know if it is the class or gear.

BECAUSE <--- :P I don't want to level a deathknight and just tank my way easily to end content.Well I just don't like the class period.
Crazyknight

Postby Corpsicle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Crazyknight wrote:sigh well sorry but maybe just maybe my first language is not english so even if I don't think I have to ask for forgiveness for not being good with english in typing I just want to say it should not affect the "constructive criticism" I am looking for. I am a capable tank and been only having problems on Ulduar and not that much is just I see DKs as a better class on some fights but I still want to know if it is the class or gear.

BECAUSE <--- :P I don't want to level a deathknight and just tank my way easily to end content.Well I just don't like the class period.

If you want specific advice to the fight you had issues with, do you have a log handy? It makes figuring out what went wrong where much easier. Also, if you have read the various threads in this subforum that deal with Hodir, on 10 and 25 man, it should be clear that paladins can solo tank him quite effectively on both 10 and 25 man normal and hard modes. There should be no need to consider rolling a DK to be a capable tank in Ulduar.

And as I said already, check your defense rating.
Corpsicle

Postby Crazyknight » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Corpsicle wrote:
Crazyknight wrote:sigh well sorry but maybe just maybe my first language is not english so even if I don't think I have to ask for forgiveness for not being good with english in typing I just want to say it should not affect the "constructive criticism" I am looking for. I am a capable tank and been only having problems on Ulduar and not that much is just I see DKs as a better class on some fights but I still want to know if it is the class or gear.

If you want specific advice to the fight you had issues with, do you have a log handy? It makes figuring out what went wrong where much easier. Also, if you have read the various threads in this subforum that deal with Hodir, on 10 and 25 man, it should be clear that paladins can solo tank him quite effectively on both 10 and 25 man normal and hard modes. There should be no need to consider rolling a DK to be a capable tank in Ulduar.

And as I said already, check your defense rating.

Ok sorry for my ignorance but isn't the minimun def rating 540? or is it higher for Ulduar? I always drink a defense pot for raids so is at least on the minimun that I think it was.
Crazyknight

Postby Corpsicle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:25 pm

You want 689 defense rating which gives 540 defense skill. If you are drinking a defense pot you are fine, you only need to get another 2 defense rating (which gives 1 defense skill) above what is listed on your armory. Now, if you die and get battle rezzed remember to drink another pot before taunting a boss back on you! :) (Totally something I'd forget). There is a flask from TBC that gives hp and defense rating, might be worth considering as an alternative to using pots, at least for progression nights where pots can get quite expensive quickly.
Corpsicle

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon