3.1 Talent Spec Guide

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 3.1 Talent Spec Guide

Postby kywirelessguy » Mon May 11, 2009 8:09 am

halojones wrote:I'm a little confused, with all the data available why is this the most popular spec http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZE0tAbuMGsIufdxb

Ds/Dg just doesnt seem worth it unless it stops raid wipes. Or have paladins been reduced to off tanks.

Are you just saying that is the most popular spec or is this based on some website that reports what spec people are using?

I think anybody that has read a little bit will know that if you are going holy you should get imp loh, otherwise stick to ret for threat talents, and divinity is pretty crappy.

That being said I'd be interested to see what the majority of paladins are actually speccing. Is there a website for this? I seem to remember there being something like it for BC.
kywirelessguy

Postby Jasari » Mon May 11, 2009 8:15 am

Even if you are the "MT" you're still not always going to be tanking something.

For example:

Mimiron P2 - I honestly think it's worth speccing into DS/DG just for this. If you have a ret pally, or any other pally spec'd into it also, you can chain them together to mitigation an enormous amount of the AOE damage during this phase.

Thorim - When the other tanks picks him up blow both of these to give the tank and the rest of the raid a huge mitigation boost.

Freya - have another tank taunt Freya during the exploding flower adds and blow DSDS when you start killing them off. We me do this during the first set, and our ret pally does it during the second set.
Jasari

Postby Sala » Fri May 15, 2009 2:19 am

Dorvan wrote:
Divine Sacrifice/Divine Guardian -- These talents are focused more on the utility side of things. Divine Sacrifice redirects 30% (40% with Divine Guardian) of the raid's damage to yourself. Currently, the 150% damage cap seems to be based on the amount of damage you take, making the it absorb unlimited damage with Divine Shield up. It certainly situational, but can be very powerful for fights where you're not tanking the whole time. Divine Guardian is useful primarily for the extra damage absorption from Sacred Shield, which is especially useful if you're keeping SS on yourself. Even if a Holy Pally is around to put SS on you, I highly recommend keeping it up on someone else in the raid if you have DG.

They stack, so it should be changed to "I highly recommend keeping it up on yourself in all cases" =)
-Sala-
Sala

Postby Pythoansis » Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 am

Cool site and members. I'm always looking for top-of-the-line info on WoW related classes etc. Seeing my main is a tankadin and I was highly informed/suggested to visit this site - I'm glad I did!

My talents and build was a little off. Thanks for the info guys! :D

I'll be venturing into 10 mans starting tonight. So I had to get some facts. :D
Pythoansis

Postby EchoEtch » Tue May 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Having issues...

I want my Unyielding Faith full spec with Stoicism, but don't wanna lose my PoJ from ret... cant decide on either of something to sacrifice from my prot tree or, at least, what to spend my last 5 points on... though I'm pretty sure Divinity... Mostly trying to improve myself as a MT for the guild.. and my survivability sucked.. but also found out that speed increases are good for that Arachnid quarter naxx boss.

Really could use some hand re-building my talent tree for threat, survivability, and diversity.. I love having the reduced status effects so i can be ready to save the group when a fear bomb hits.
EchoEtch

Postby Koatanga » Tue May 19, 2009 7:50 pm

EchoEtch wrote:Having issues...

I want my Unyielding Faith full spec with Stoicism, but don't wanna lose my PoJ from ret... cant decide on either of something to sacrifice from my prot tree or, at least, what to spend my last 5 points on... though I'm pretty sure Divinity... Mostly trying to improve myself as a MT for the guild.. and my survivability sucked.. but also found out that speed increases are good for that Arachnid quarter naxx boss.

Really could use some hand re-building my talent tree for threat, survivability, and diversity.. I love having the reduced status effects so i can be ready to save the group when a fear bomb hits.

If you are talking about the first boss in Arachnid, I think he's actually easier if you just stand there and take his beating during locust swarm. We don't kite him in either 10 or 25.

See other threads regarding Divinity. I think "of questionable value" is the general consensus.

I am also not a big fan of Unyielding Faith. Back in the old days, when mobs dropped aggro if you were feared, reducing/eliminating fears was a pretty big deal. Now, not so much. Besides, as a Human I have a fear break anyway.

I went with 0/53/18, taking Crusade in the ret tree.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby EchoEtch » Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 pm

There.. totaly revamped my pally!! unfortunately it hasn't updated on wowarmory...

If you'd like to take a look and provide some feedback you can look it up on wow-heroes.. i think their a little faster with the updates.. otherwise wait till it shows my shield and chest with the + def enchant to be sure...
EchoEtch

Postby laisee » Sun May 31, 2009 2:17 pm

kywirelessguy wrote:
halojones wrote:I'm a little confused, with all the data available why is this the most popular spec http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZE0tAbuMGsIufdxb

Ds/Dg just doesnt seem worth it unless it stops raid wipes. Or have paladins been reduced to off tanks.

Are you just saying that is the most popular spec or is this based on some website that reports what spec people are using?

I think anybody that has read a little bit will know that if you are going holy you should get imp loh, otherwise stick to ret for threat talents, and divinity is pretty crappy.

That being said I'd be interested to see what the majority of paladins are actually speccing. Is there a website for this? I seem to remember there being something like it for BC.

I'm new to tanking and I've been curious the same. I don't really know much about being Protection, as I've been Holy & Ret most of the time. I was looking for a good and solid build to start tanking and Google showed me up with http://www.talentchic.com/Paladin/Protection. 0/53/18 or 5/59/7 ? What is the reasoning for taking/not taking Divinity?
laisee

Postby kywirelessguy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22069&hilit=divinity

Should give you some ideas why. Really its just not that great compared to DS/DG which will get lots of action since sacred shield stacks somewhat.
kywirelessguy

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 am

0/53/18 is your best bet for threat.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Just logged on my Tankadin today for the first time in 6 months...good to see you still at it Dorvan! Thanks for the talent advice :D now to catch up on everything else I missed...
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Levantine » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:00 am

it's Jen!

[Edited out your F bomb - Modus]

[Zomg a mod that tags their edits! - Lev]
Last edited by Levantine on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levantine

Postby Jensaarai » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:24 am

Indeed...it's been awhile. I did 3-4 bosses in Ulduar 10 the other day, pretty cool...basic, though. I'm going to try to do the entire instance this week =p
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Good to see ya Jens. Yeah, I'm still kicking around, though I must confess in terms of actual play I spend much more time Ret than Prot these days :P

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Sands » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:09 am

Can anyone explain the benefits of taking conviction over seals of the pure? Realise conviction applies to ALL your spells but wud just like to see some theory craft on both as OP didnt say anything about them in his mini guide :)

Thanks in advance
Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents