[DK -PVE] Dual-wielding question

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[DK -PVE] Dual-wielding question

Postby Flipthebird » Fri May 29, 2009 6:28 am

So, I'm trying out a dual-wielding spec for my DK and was wondering about weapon speeds.

1. Do they matter?
2. Should main-hand be faster/slower than off-hand?
3. Is there any pertinent information I should know that I probably don't about dual-wielding with a DK besides 'Don't do it'?

Thanks.
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Re: [DK -PVE] Dual-wielding question

Postby Nightsbane » Fri May 29, 2009 8:38 am

dont do it. Frost DWing is going to be alot of buffs come the 3.2 patch. thats already been confirmed by Ghostcrawler. Since we dont know in what way or shape those buffs are coming in there really isnt a point to be playing around with DW at the moment.

Patience grasshopper, DW will be back in vogue soon enough
Nightsbane

Postby Splug » Fri May 29, 2009 9:14 am

While there haven't been any specifics for their plans with dual wielding, the devs have stated that it may be easier to just rebalance one tree to be intended to function as a dual-wield spec (probably frost). Some examples listed were having obliterate hit with both weapons, or frost strike (or both). Nothing specific has been stated except that we should look for changes in the next major content patch to address dual wield.

For now, it's going to basically be a damage / threat loss no matter what you do. The only possible justification is to pull extra mitigative stats off a pair of tanking weapons, and with the high EH demands of ulduar stoneskin gargoyle makes even that plan somewhat questionable.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Flipthebird » Fri May 29, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks for the responses!

I'm actually doing a DW-unholy build... Phlipthebird - Tortheldrin if you want to armory the build. My work internet hates the armory, hence no link. Also, ignore the items and everything...i just hit 80 last night and havn't run anything really.

I know it's a decrease in dps, but I still want to try it. And, if they are going to buff DW, I don't think it's a bad idea to try it out now.

I asked the questions in my OP b/c my shaman friend needs a slow off-hand, and faster main-hand (iirc, that is) and I was wondering if that's the case for all DW'ers, or just something in shaman talents/skills that works better that way.
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby sapientialb » Fri May 29, 2009 9:34 am

Flipthebird wrote:
I asked the questions in my OP b/c my shaman friend needs a slow off-hand, and faster main-hand (iirc, that is) and I was wondering if that's the case for all DW'ers, or just something in shaman talents/skills that works better that way.

Unless I missed something very recently, I believe Slow/Slow (2.6/2.6) is the current best setup for Enhance Shammys. They changed the way FlameTongue works so having a fast weapon to apply it doesn't result in a dps gain anymore.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby Splug » Fri May 29, 2009 10:56 am

sapientialb wrote:
Flipthebird wrote:

Unless I missed something very recently, I believe Slow/Slow (2.6/2.6) is the current best setup for Enhance Shammys. They changed the way FlameTongue works so having a fast weapon to apply it doesn't result in a dps gain anymore.
I believe that's correct. The offhand speed is much less significant than the mainhand speed, but slow speed for both is ideal.

-Splug
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri May 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Most of what I have read says

Slow MH
Fast OH

and that Unholy is currently the best DW tree. I'm leveling as DW on my Ally DK.
Shoju

Postby Gracerath » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:48 am

I keep picking up all the fast 1h's that no one else wants just in case. If the rogues aren't going to take them, I aint gonna let them go to waste! (well sorta, they are wasting away in my bank, but you never know)
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Robin de tolens » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:48 pm

Dual wielding DKs, aside from the usefulness of this choice, just look meh. I love my 2H-axe-swinging orc female. Would hate to trade it to DW =/ What's more... there isn't a single fucking 1H axe in WoltLK, as far as I've seen and heard ='(
Robin de tolens

Postby Argali » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:53 pm

Ever since they changed killing machine to be a ppm, your offhand speed doesn't matter. MH you still need a slow weapon for your abilities that are based on weapon damage.
Argali

Postby Splug » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:27 pm

Robin de tolens wrote:Dual wielding DKs, aside from the usefulness of this choice, just look meh. I love my 2H-axe-swinging orc female. Would hate to trade it to DW =/ What's more... there isn't a single fucking 1H axe in WoltLK, as far as I've seen and heard ='(
Gladiator weapons and Last Laugh come to mind, but I don't recall any pure-melee-damage 1h axes in pve.

-Splug
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:39 am

There's one off one of the Yogg's but that's about it.

Currently the only competitive DW spec is deep Unholy, and DW tanking is long since dead.

Slow/Fast is the weapon set up for Death Knights, but I believe the offhand speed is off limited importance, and DPS is a much bigger factor.
Levantine

Postby Constantíne » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:45 pm

+ Threat of Thassarian: New 3-point talent. When dual-wielding, your Death Strikes, Obliterates, Plague Strikes, Blood Strikes and Frost Strikes have a 30/60/100% chance to also deal damage with your off-hand weapon. Off-hand strikes are roughly one half the effect of the original strike.

How viable will this new talent make DWing when compared to the boatload of nerfs alot of other DK talents are getting? Any thoughts from experienced DK's?
Riposte wrote:Building threat isn't rocket surgery.
Constantíne

Postby Falibard » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:53 am

Constantíne wrote:
+ Threat of Thassarian: New 3-point talent. When dual-wielding, your Death Strikes, Obliterates, Plague Strikes, Blood Strikes and Frost Strikes have a 30/60/100% chance to also deal damage with your off-hand weapon. Off-hand strikes are roughly one half the effect of the original strike.

How viable will this new talent make DWing when compared to the boatload of nerfs alot of other DK talents are getting? Any thoughts from experienced DK's?

From what I understand DW Frost should be viable in the next patch. I was going to link to the dk.info thread that was talking about it, but I can't seem to find it now... = /
Falibard

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes