[25] Deconstructor kicking butt

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Deconstructor kicking butt

Postby rokkon » Wed May 13, 2009 6:35 am

grats on the kill and the loot. I bought a few of those potions off the ah and used one last night, and I'm with you they are going to be a staple from now on.

Our GL made us stick with Ignis until we got it. It was very hard but I think it tuned our whole raid and mindset more to the direction we need to be for the rest of Ulduar.

Have you guys taken a vote on the situation? Maybe more feel the same way you do and that might help convince him. However if more people share his perspective then you may be fighting an uphill battle.
rokkon

Postby Arees » Wed May 13, 2009 7:56 am

I really felt like the ring of FL made a big difference too. It's 882 armor before multipliers (how do you find the base armor to find out how much of it actually gets increased by toughness?), plus it had more str, and therefore more block value (though not by much). It made me want to run naxx some more for that cloak with the armor.

I think as a tank I have way undervalued how good armor actually is. It brings up another question... right now I'm using 18 stam on my gloves... would the armor enchant be more EH? I'm thinking the 18 stam would be better since it also works with magic damage. I'm really hoping to get the Saronite Plated Legguards from Kologarn soon. Those would be a huge upgrade for me, as well as give me a lot of extra armor.
Arees

Postby rokkon » Wed May 13, 2009 8:24 am

I would love to get my hands on that ring, our other tank got it last time so hopefully next time it drops it will be mine. There is a whole thread around here about that ring and and undervaluing armor which is what opened my eyes to those possibilities.

Since armor suffers diminishing returns the best way to find out how much each piece is helping you is to hover over your armor value in your character sheet before and after equipping the piece to see how much your percent goes up.

About your question on toughness, I'm not sure but would love to know as well.
rokkon

Postby sanguineraven » Wed May 13, 2009 8:46 am

Grats on XT-002 kill. We struggled a bit the first few weeks til Tympanic Tantrum was nerfed which helped our healers (who have a tough time sticking to healing assignments). We usually use 2 healers for tank-only healing on XT-002 and similar fights to make sure there is always a heal between melee hits.

As for Ignis, we made the mistake of trying him after Flame Leviathan on Day 1 too and... ouch. We left it a couple of weeks while working on the other bosses and tried him 2 weeks ago. He is SIGNIFICANTLY easier. I think a large part of this is due to the molten requirement dropping to 10 stacks - it means there is rarely more than 1 add up and Ignis's buffs are kept to a minimum. On our first night back trying him since the release day we killed him in maybe 4-5 attempts, getting progressively better each attempt. I've tanked it both as Ignis tank and as the supporting construct tank (DK is getting the construct in position and chaining it, I tank any loose ones in the queue and also pull the molten ones to the pools).

Stick with it. I would say he is probably harder than most of the Siege and Antechamber bosses but it's very rewarding and has some nice loot.
sanguineraven

Postby Arees » Wed May 13, 2009 10:09 am

rokkon wrote:Since armor suffers diminishing returns the best way to find out how much each piece is helping you is to hover over your armor value in your character sheet before and after equipping the piece to see how much your percent goes up.

The amount of damage it reduces scales exponentially but the amount it increases your TTL goes up linearly. going from 5k - 6k increases your TTL the same as going from 23k-24k. I'm pretty sure I've read that here on maintankadin somewhere but I don't remember where.

sanguineraven wrote:I think a large part of this is due to the molten requirement dropping to 10 stacks

I thought they reduced it from 20 to 15? If it is 10 now, then I might be able to convince my guild solely on that... one of the biggest problems seemed to be keeping the adds in the fire.
Arees

Postby Belloc » Wed May 13, 2009 10:22 am

Grats on the kill.

As for Ignis: Explain to your raid that he was hard... but he's been nerfed 2-3 times now and he's easier than everything except Flame Leviathan.
Belloc

Postby Falibard » Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

Belloc wrote:Grats on the kill.

As for Ignis: Explain to your raid that he was hard... but he's been nerfed 2-3 times now and he's easier than everything except Flame Leviathan.

Yes Grats! Glad I could help! :D

Ignis is EASY now. Almost silly easy. Also, he has some good "tanky" drops...
Falibard

Postby oldboyz » Thu May 28, 2009 1:37 am

back on topic, i confirm XT is quite a deadly pala boss

damn it...never afraid on 10, but on 25, quite an another story... this bad boy is ripping me. each time i try, i'm ok until i get 2 shoots in a matter of less of 1 sec. :( so last 2 down, it was less stuffed DK and bear who made it. something wrong when OT do better job than MT1 :(

reading this post, i have to change my meta, and stock more invul. potion
hope it will be enought

we have no Disc. heal, our main healeurs on MT are Pal (and i got a drood last time)
respe a priest would grant a lot?
oldboyz

Postby rokkon » Thu May 28, 2009 6:10 am

I love it when our disc priest is healing me, they have so many abilities to keep you alive it's not even funny.

On XT I was surprised at just how a few gear upgrades across the board for the guild has made a huge difference. I remember the first time I tanked him on 25 man just a few weeks ago and man it was intense, my health dropped under 10%, under 5%, and to the point it looked like I was dead many, many more times in that fight than I was comfortable with! But now that we've gotten a few gear upgrades and our healers and I know what to expect, last time we fought him I don't think I dipped below 25% but maybe once or twice it was much less stressful.
rokkon

Postby Belarkan » Fri May 29, 2009 2:35 am

XT-002 is one of the boss where I prefer our druid tanks it.
He hits really hard and I'm not sure I'll have full time debuffs on him.
Amazingly, our druid has had some survivability issues on the adds.
So it's all fine, on that boss, the druid tanks the boss and I'm on add duty.
Belarkan

Postby Faro » Fri May 29, 2009 3:09 am

WATERBOYsh wrote:I thought they reduced it from 20 to 15? If it is 10 now, then I might be able to convince my guild solely on that... one of the biggest problems seemed to be keeping the adds in the fire.

It's 10, and I believe they stack up quicker. I've Hoj'd a mob in the fire when one of our OTs died and had it come out molten. Have a Dk Chains of Ice it, hit it with anything else, and then Death Grip it into the pool at 10 stacks. If they forget the Death Grip then you're going to lose because they reset aggro when they're molten. Ignis is *definitely* easier than Deconstructor, but the fights are testing different weak points of your raid so that might not always be true. Also, you can have a feral druid bash-->roots them in there and then taunt them out when they're molten.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby rokkon » Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 am

We don't even go that far, we just have two off tanks tank them in the fire until they're molten then kite them into the water.

Here's what I do exactly. I get control of the construct and find a fire that is fairly new. Then I run directly through the fire. As soon as the construct is just in the fire I throw HoJ on him then I go and position myself on the other side of the fire. By the time he gets un-stunned and runs through the fire to me he's almost molten at that point it just takes another second or two, or alternatively if you see the healers creeping up on threat you can toss an avenger's shield his way not only regaining threat but also slowing him down so that he *will* be molten before he reaches you. Once he's molten I run towards the water and toss an exorcism on him to gain aggro and pull him into the water.

For the most part I take very little damage during this process our second off tank is a warrior and he uses a similar procedure. In the event something goes wrong I have no problem just standing in the fire and tanking them in the fire as long as I give our healers warning I'm about to do so, it can be healed through but it's better not to.
rokkon

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon