Remove Advertisements

[Holy-PvP] New arena team help

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Holy-PvP] New arena team help

Postby DanimalEQ » Wed May 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Hey all.

Planning on starting up a 3v3 arena team with a couple friends of mine. I'm typically tank spec, and going to go with a holy spec for the team.

Team will consist of me as holy, a mutilate rogue, and a demo/destro hybrid lock.

Wondering if anyone can offer any helpful advice.

I have a couple of PvP items from nearly hitting the honor cap and just spending it down, so have the hateful gloves and shoulders.

I just ran VoA last night, and picked up the Deadly Gladiator's Scaled Legguards. I know they are ret, but i'm wondering if I should still wear them, since I would gain about 1k hp and 66 resil with them (my current armory has me with them on), and can always gem them for some spell power. I do lose ~100 SP and 1k or so mana by doing the switch.

What upgrades should I prioritize? Should I bother with the blue crafted set of pvp gear Orante Saronite Battlegear? It looks like the whole set only has 300 resilience (350 with the 6 piece bonus), however, it is still more than I have now. My gut tells me it isn't much worth it, and that I'd be better off just grinding out BGs and WGs.

What are the main weaknesses and strengths of this comp (not counting the fact that we are all green to areans, and will get rolfstomped to being with)?

Thanks for any and all advice you guys can give!
DanimalEQ

Re: [Holy-PvP] New arena team help

Postby sherck » Thu May 28, 2009 5:40 am

I warn up front that I don't PvP much because my lack of skilz would just bring a team down.

But a couple of thoughts to help you prioritize equipment....

1. You rarely have time in 2v2 or 3v3 to cast Holy Light unless you are bubbled. Even with a mondo amount of Haste, you will typically be interrupted prior to it getting cast. With 2 DPS partners who are not Hybrids with heals, you will be the focus target of any other team right off the bat.

2. As such, mana is a significantly less issue for your healing in PvP than in PvE. FoL is ultra efficient and even Holy Shock is not bad. You do not need 20k + mana for Arena (however, the more you have is great because Mana Burn sucks...)

3. So, Intellect on gear is not quite as important as it is in PvE. Stam / Crit / Resliliance are the stats to stack for PvE....Spell Power as well but that should come on all your gear.

4. As for seeking out PvP crafted gear, it all depends on what you are replacing. They are okay if you are wearing Item Level 200 or below Holy PvE gear that puts a ton of itemization points into Intellect/Haste/MP5 with only average amounts of Stam. They might not be okay if you are rocking Item Level 213 or higher PvE Holy Gear because the amount of Stam becomes equal and then the other stats (most notibly Crit) outweights the loss of Resiliance. You have to make that judgement choice. I would not equip Prot/Ret gear unless it is just outstandingly itemized and is of a significantly higher Item Level.

5. Highly recommend you separate your "combat" buttons from your "healing" buttons by using an addon like Healbot or Clique/Grid. While you are there to keep yourself and your teammates alive, you need the ability to "burst" Hammer of Justice/Judgement/Holy Shock/Hammer of Wrath when an opponent gets low. I can cast all my healing spells/Hand spells/Sacred Shield/Cleanse/etc from Healbot and then have my 1 through = keys for my combat abilities.

6. I have seen both arguments on how fare to go down the Holy Tree. If you are facing a team without Purge/Spellsteal capability, then having Beacon to put on yourself while you heal your DPS team mates can be a game winner. However, against a Purge team, it is useless. Some only go down as far as Holy Shock and then go into Prot or Ret further. It all depends on why type of teams you face most often.

7. Keep on the move all the time (PoJ helps here), only stopping to cast FoL (when not instance after an IoL proc if you went down that far). ALL your other spells are Instant Cast so you should NEVER not be moving. You can keep out of melee range and you can move out of ranged attack as well. Remember, many times you only need to be within 40 yards of your teammates to heal; not within 40 yards of your opponents. Knowing when to try and stay at distance and when to close for a finishing burst is key to playing a Holy Pally well in PvP.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby DanimalEQ » Thu May 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I do have a couple follow up questions now.

First, if we glyph and talent lay on hands to be under the 15 minute mark, can it be used in an arena match?

For Spec, I you mention there are a few options, either picking up Beacon, or going deeper into prot and or ret.

I played around and came up with this for prot and this for ret.

For a beacon spec, I'd just go wtih the cookie cutter 52/19/0 spec.

I figure for prot, I'd gain a bit of survivability, and ret with AoW procs and Judgements of the wise, I'd have plenty of mana and on the move heals. Just not sure which would be the most beneficial. I figure I'll just give each of them a try for a bit, and see how it goes.

For Addons, is Proximo still the way to go for arena addons? Or is there a new one I should know about?

Regarding gear, should I save up my emblems of heroism and pick up the 2pt7 set? Or should I stick strictly with PvP armor?
DanimalEQ

Postby Angelarc6570 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:38 pm

DanimalEQ wrote:For Addons, is Proximo still the way to go for arena addons? Or is there a new one I should know about?

Gladius, I believe, is what most people, including myself, use for Arenas. Has a lot more options.
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby sherck » Fri May 29, 2009 5:19 am

DanimalEQ wrote: First, if we glyph and talent lay on hands to be under the 15 minute mark, can it be used in an arena match?

I believe that the Arena restriction is based on the "normal" CD of the ability, not the CD that can be achieved through talents / equipment / glyphs. So LoH still should be good to go with a 11 minute CD (-5 min for glyph, -4 min with talents).

DanimalEQ wrote:For Spec, I you mention there are a few options, either picking up Beacon, or going deeper into prot and or ret.

I played around and came up with this for prot and this for ret.

For a beacon spec, I'd just go wtih the cookie cutter 52/19/0 spec.

I figure for prot, I'd gain a bit of survivability, and ret with AoW procs and Judgements of the wise, I'd have plenty of mana and on the move heals. Just not sure which would be the most beneficial. I figure I'll just give each of them a try for a bit, and see how it goes.

Typically, the advantage of DS with DG is just too strong for PvP to go without it. 12 seconds of invulnerability (assuming you are not playing against a class that can break your bubble) to go along with the damage reduction to your team mates is great.

DanimalEQ wrote:Regarding gear, should I save up my emblems of heroism and pick up the 2pt7 set? Or should I stick strictly with PvP armor?

I am God's own definition of a Crit Whore so if I ever got into PvP again, I would probably still go down the Ret tree for Crit even though I just said above that Prot is probably a better tree for PvP. So, for me, the 2 piece Tier 7 bonus of 10% Crit to Holy Shock is too good to pass up for PvP. You will be using the spell EVERY 6 seconds in PvP as you run to either heal or damage so having that extra Crit chance is great.

My two cents.

Cheers,
sherck

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes