Remove Advertisements

[Mage] Fun to play after paladin?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Mage] Fun to play after paladin?

Postby Chivalry » Fri May 22, 2009 12:26 am

Yes, this thread is stupid.

Then, maybe I am.

I just rolled a mage alt on alliance side, to try something different after a year of playing my Paladin.
And I find myself so incredibly useless that it makes me bang my head on the wall.

I've never really understood people who play "pure" DPS classes, so in the end I decided to try one just to see the fun of it that possibly eludes me. Now, when me and my wife are questing together, I find myself a liability. The class seems to lack just so many tools that made the paladin fun to play. I can't bring anything that turns the tide in a battle, and the draenei racial HoT is on a 3 min CD.

The most fun moment so far was pulling a 6 camp of Gnolls in Westfall, with some sheeping and clever freezing to do. The draenei HoT gave us the edge, and it just shows how much more useful a healing capable class would have been.

Did anyone else experience similar feelings when trying to roll a mage or another pure dps after a paladin?
Does it become more fun at later levels?
Or should I just re-roll?

P.S. I already had an alt, an elemental shaman. It doesn't feel this way.
Chivalry

Re: [Mage] Fun to play after paladin?

Postby Kwelzenda » Fri May 22, 2009 2:41 am

Chivalry wrote:The most fun moment so far was pulling a 6 camp of Gnolls in Westfall, with some sheeping and clever freezing to do. The draenei HoT gave us the edge, and it just shows how much more useful a healing capable class would have been.

This is why I play my mage. I have found that I am a very good AOE player. Not sure what it is about my play style, but I always seem to be capable of finding ways to AOE with any class that has some capacity for it (frost mage, prot pally, DK).

As a frost mage, I find it quite enjoyable because there are so many options for control of the battlefield and enemies most of the time. I've tried a fire mage and did not enjoy it whatsoever. I was putting out about the same DPS but I did not have near the level of survivability. I've also tried Hunters, Warlocks, and Rogues as far as pure DPS classes go and found that the 'lock and rogue I can never seem to get past level 19-20 before I just get bored with the character.
Kwelzenda

Postby hoho » Fri May 22, 2009 2:46 am

Locks are indeed a bit boring for the first 50 levels, after you get your felguard it becomes much nicer. Just use a dot on something and send in FG, dot up a second target and fear it, dot up a third and have your FG start tanking it. I was chainkilling mobs like that pretty much from 50->80 :)

ATM at level cap with half-decent gear I'm pretty much threeshotting normal mobs. Being able to chain incinerates and soulfires makes it twoshotting, though it only works with reasonable amount of mobs in running distance.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Diocaska » Fri May 22, 2009 5:31 am

I found a mage awful to level, but I leveled as fire upto 70, and come expansion went frost (which was alot more fun to mess about with).

In regards to solo content, mages don't appear fun, but I adore them in raids. Invisibility, Mirror Image, Ice Block, great aoe and single target damage, and portals. Its strange going to a class with what I believe hass less utility than a Paladin, but great dps with a good enough threat dump, and immunity ability, sold the class to me.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby Madylyn » Fri May 22, 2009 6:36 am

Prot pally and Elemental/Resto Shammy, ftw. Levelling Ele was a pain until certain talents and spells kicked in. I would've appreciated Hex a lot more levelling than I do now. (I only use it while healing as resto now in big trash pulls, and mostly as a LOLmoment...especially when the tank thinks all the mobs are down. ;) )

My next two alts will be my blood DK and a S/D priest.

I got bored out of my mind on my hunter. Probably will never go to another pure dps class. The only one I would consider is a lock. There's something about the omgshitineed2healmyself toons that I like. Soloing vanilla raids ftw!
Madylyn

Postby Doogiehowser » Fri May 22, 2009 6:45 am

I actually find mages quite fun to play. It's nice to turn off the brain for a few minutes and just dps.

Leveling frost is probably the best way to go since you have many more survivability buttons. The dps difference is negligible between frost and fire at lower levels. Blink, Ice Block, Frost Nova are all wonderful tools. Sheep as well when you're running solo.

Plus, once you get your teleports, you have no idea how nice it becomes at later levels when you're doing the whole Tanaris>Ungoro>Hinterlands>Felwood>Winterspring>Darnassus circuit. I bet 1/10th of my leveling time on other characters in the old world is merely due to flight paths.

Mages can be fun. They're fun on BGs too. Mix it up a little.

They might be a little dull when running around solo, but they're fun when you're with someone else (Err. . .I guess that might always be the case :) )
Doogiehowser

Postby uke » Fri May 22, 2009 7:16 am

I know it's all personal preference, but I did not enjoy my mage at all, and was unable to take them past level 25. Maybe they got more fun later on, but I wasn't feeling it. I was just way too squishy.

Now for pure dps classes, I've been having a blast on my lowbie 46 hunter. It's like you're a tank, dps, and healer all rolled into one (well, you can heal your pet at least). After I got access to Volley and Thunderstomp for my pet, I can run around picking up 6-8 mobs at a time with my pet, volley them down, go to Aspect of the Viper while I skin them, and rinse and repeat with no downtime. Even more efficient than my kitty druid, which I thought was crazy-efficient.

Not to mention the plethora of tools hunters have to get out of trouble. Even moreso if you're a nightelf (lolshadowmeld)
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby Nikachelle » Fri May 22, 2009 7:22 am

I think my mage is about level 40. I'm leveling as fire, so I die, a LOT. I know it's not as efficient as frost, particularly for leveling, but I've become used to fire so I stick with it.

It does feel pretty odd to not have the ability to heal at all. My high level characters, paladin, priest and DK could all self heal. Not being able to... is weird. For that reason I wish I had made my mage a Draenei and not a human.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Snippy » Fri May 22, 2009 11:29 am

I've had mages for like four years now. I have a troll and a space cow.

I love both dearly and enjoy playing them.

They are pure dps yes... however some of the fun things about them... you get to stand back and see the entire fight. I find starting at a bosses knees to get boring at times. There's also fun in it taking a certian level of skill to plan how you're going to enter battle and finish off a target solo. The whole goal of playing a mage is to not let anything touch you ever. And dude, whats more fun that dualing someone and turning them into a pig or a turtle or a bunny or a sheep (who actualy has sheep these days?)?? Mages are especially fun in PvP! AV is probably one of the best battle grounds for mages.

There's also alot of fun in AOE farming. Again, this takes skill and planning and thinking on your toes to complete.

And not every class should be able to heal themselves. That's not really the point. If every class could heal, how boring this game would be.
Steph - 80 Paladin
<Infernal Regions>
Server: Lothar
www.wowgirlsgonewild.com
Snippy

Postby Dorvan » Fri May 22, 2009 12:36 pm

I definitely enjoy my mage, he has both strengths and weaknesses relative to a Paladin....especially in a group environment. You also didn't say what level your mage is. Mages really pick up around level 30 or so, once you have shatter and have all kinds of control tools as frost. Who cares if you can't heal if the mobs can't even touch you? :P

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Chivalry » Wed May 27, 2009 1:32 am

Thanks for the positive words guys.

However, after some more tedium with the mage, I just couldn't carry on and rerolled a Priest.

Even now, at the sorry level of 11, it is countless times more fun than the mage ever was for me. I'm once again enjoiying the game, and as much as I was on my paladin. (Geez, playing the mage just felt like hard work, with some distant rewards maybe. Found what was bothering me finally, lol.)

I guess it's just a "different classes for different folks" thing. Not all people who play paladins are similar, it seems.

Thanks again from a happy noobie priestling.
:roll:
Chivalry

Postby DanimalEQ » Thu May 28, 2009 11:51 am

I enjoyed many of the same things here that people mentioned about mages, and they do have a fair set of tools for controlling a situation.

The only thing I couldn't stand, was all the down time. Kill 3-4 things, then stop and drink. Kill 3-4 things, then stop and drink. It just killed me having to sit constantly. I've switched to a feral druid now, and am much happier with things :)
DanimalEQ

Postby Bastien » Thu May 28, 2009 1:35 pm

My first toon was a mage. Leveled him as POM/Pyro, and yes the downtime and squishiness were a pain.

Started a hunter shortly after and had a lot of fun with the pets. Never did much with that one, just used her as a farming toon.

Got both to 70. Raided on the mage through SSC and kinda sucked at it. Maybe it was lag, maybe it was gear, maybe I just didn't get the mechanics.

About this time I rolled my shaman. This was the most fun I'd ever had with a toon. I leveled as enhance, and raided through BT as resto. Loved it.

My paladin was my last 70, but my first 80. The paladin's versatility just makes it loads of fun, for me.

The hunter is stuck at 70, the mage at 73. I'm trying to get the mage to 80, but the spark is lost, it just feels like work.
ImageImage
Bastien

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes