0/41/20 - Boring you say?!

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

0/41/20 - Boring you say?!

Postby Avanaria » Fri May 25, 2007 3:32 am

This is my first post, and I figured this would be the best spot to break my self in. This isn't a typical 41/20 either.

So here's my build:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qZV0tIx0dMgqzVfx00f

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/?#character-talents.xml?r=Dragonmaw&n=Avanaria

Here are some of the differences I notice compared to other peoples specs:

In Prot I have: No Reckoning, Stoicism, Precision, or Guardian's Favor.

In Ret I have: Added Imp Ret Aura, and Crusade

It's a pure spell damage build. Not based around melee at all. And I still picked up all the mitigation talents (besides Imp Devotion.)

When I look at this build I see no wasted talent points. And considering all our threat is from spell damage, this build seems like it would be top notch.

But yeah, tell me your thoughts. I'd love to hear them.
Avanaria

Postby Lorath » Sun May 27, 2007 3:40 am

Looks kinda interesting, but you do trade off a good deal of seal damage this way. 3% for melee hits means those missed hits won't proc a SoR/SoJ refresh, and with no Reckoning you won't get those extra 4 hits. If you can make up for this with the extra stuff in Ret... good question.

I'd be very interested in hearing some numbers comparing this spec with a traditional 49/12 :)
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Avanaria » Sun May 27, 2007 5:45 am

Lorath wrote:Looks kinda interesting, but you do trade off a good deal of seal damage this way. 3% for melee hits means those missed hits won't proc a SoR/SoJ refresh, and with no Reckoning you won't get those extra 4 hits. If you can make up for this with the extra stuff in Ret... good question.

I'd be very interested in hearing some numbers comparing this spec with a traditional 49/12 :)

I'm not really a numbers type of person, so I couldn't really tell you all that technical mojo. If anyone wants to go ahead and get numbers, that'd be neat. I've probably gone through every Tankadin spec you can think of, including Hybrid builds. This one just stands out in front of the crowd for me.

My raid tanking experience isn't vast (as a Paladin,) mainly Kara right now, but I've never had a problem with SoR/SoJ refreshes. Reckoning procs on the other hand, are based on luck. For me.. putting talent points in to something that *might* help over something that *will constantly help* doesn't make any sense to me.

I'd be lying through my teeth though, if I said it was "for sure" better than every other spec... but that's what I feel after using it for a little over a week.

Plus if you think about it... 8% extra damage on Holy Shield, plus the extra 35% threat on top of it is a ton of extra threat. Holy Shield is our Sunder. Except... ours scales (way) better. And is quite overpowered to be honest.

After playing a Warrior pre BC since open beta, and raiding hard core I can tell you tanking as a Paladin is exciting and fun, and less of a pain in the ass.

I'm glad I rerolled a Paladin, that's for sure. Tons of flexibility.
Avanaria

Postby Rhastago » Sun May 27, 2007 6:40 am

I'm very tempted to try out that build. :o
Though I'd drop imp sotc, perhaps. D:
Rhastago

Postby Lorath » Sun May 27, 2007 1:33 pm

Avanaria wrote: I've never had a problem with SoR/SoJ refreshes. Reckoning procs on the other hand, are based on luck.

Didn't say anything about SoJ stack refreshing, but I agree - I don't have a problem with it using a 49/12 spec. Using SoR tho means you get 2x the dmg for 4 hits, very nice.
As for reckoning being luck based, that is somewhat true of course but I find Reckoning to be up alot. I mean very often even against raid bosses. Considering uncrushability and the amount of reckoning procs I'd say it's no question that reck procs from blocked attacks aswell, if the damage is higher than your block value. If it didn't, it would never proc :)

I personally cannot live without Reck since I enjoy 2H facesmashing too and reck makes it possible. I even took one point from imp judgement and got SoC now just for the heck of it. Flexibility ftw :P
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Avanaria » Sun May 27, 2007 2:24 pm

Lorath wrote:I personally cannot live without Reck since I enjoy 2H facesmashing too and reck makes it possible. I even took one point from imp judgement and got SoC now just for the heck of it. Flexibility ftw :P

Completely understandable. I was thinking this was more of a raid/full tank spec anyway. Although it is excellent for farming too, I might add. :P
Avanaria

Postby Dorvan » Sun May 27, 2007 5:11 pm

Avanaria wrote:
Completely understandable. I was thinking this was more of a raid/full tank spec anyway. Although it is excellent for farming too, I might add. :P[/quote]

Well, if it's a raid tank spec then you should definitely drop Imp Ret Aura. If you're tanking in a raid, you'll be running Dev or a resistance aura the vast majority of the time. I've really been meaning to just collect data on my threat over a night of raiding to see where it comes from. Crusade is a pretty straightforward 1% boost to threat against applicable mobs, but the benefit of Precision and Reckoning depends on the frequency of procs and the portion of your total threat that comes from white damage and SoR.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Avanaria » Sun May 27, 2007 9:04 pm

Dorvan wrote:Well, if it's a raid tank spec then you should definitely drop Imp Ret Aura. If you're tanking in a raid, you'll be running Dev or a resistance aura the vast majority of the time. I've really been meaning to just collect data on my threat over a night of raiding to see where it comes from. Crusade is a pretty straightforward 1% boost to threat against applicable mobs, but the benefit of Precision and Reckoning depends on the frequency of procs and the portion of your total threat that comes from white damage and SoR.

Imp Ret Aura isn't a raid talent yeah... it is a tanking tool though. If I didn't do so many 5 mans still I'd definitely drop it for Guardian's Favor. But it's pretty awesome for 5 mans, and AoE farming. Which I also do a ton of. :lol:
Avanaria

Return to Basic Training & Talents