Remove Advertisements

Advice: MT build.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Advice: MT build.

Postby Venoseth » Sat May 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Thinking this... for my full-MT build. Some reasoning...

I have no trouble with threat, at all. Not threat-capped on any fight, as of yet.
5/5 divinity, while marginally useful, is only replacing threat talents.
2/2 Imp. HoJ. There are some fights that require interupts, or where stuns are helpful. Auriaya / Iron Council / Freya's Snaplashers mostly. In those cases, it's nice to have, but probably the first of the "odd choices" I'd give up for more threat.
2/2 SA - Vezax /sigh

So, in this case, with 4 points left, should I put them into HotC or SotP (I was thinking SotP) and with 6 points left (had I not gotten 2/2 HoJ) would I be better off w/ 2 into conviction, or 5 SotP and 1/3 HotC? :o

Any help, or thoughts would be appreciated. ^^
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Re: Advice: MT build.

Postby Lightstrike » Sat May 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Are there any other paladins in your raid group who are going to bring HotC? IF they are then what's the point in you bringing it? :)

Do you have any other tanks without a blue rage bar that can tank Vezax, seems a little silly that you should completely respec yourself for a single encounter when you could just have someone else tank it, maintank or not it's what is best for the raid heh?
Lightstrike

Postby Panzerdin » Sun May 10, 2009 12:46 am

2/2 SA is a waste, just don't Consecrate on Vezax.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Venoseth » Sun May 10, 2009 9:48 am

Well, I'm not really gimping myself, this isn't my threat build. I'm running w/ two Prot builds atm. A trash/threat (with 18 in ret) build, and this other, that I'm working out now for max survivability.

There are other tanks, but are we really unable to do it? I'm only trying to move 1 point into SA and 2 into imp. HoJ, but I don't think I'll even get Imp. HoJ after talking about it. So 1 extra point for SA.

Guess I'm just wondering if 2 points in convic or 5 in SotP is better. (PMs Theck)
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Postby Panzerdin » Sun May 10, 2009 10:35 am

I'm not Theck, but I'd guess at 5 SotP.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby theckhd » Sun May 10, 2009 8:08 pm

SotP and Conviction are almost identical for threat. 5/5 SotP will easily out-threat 2/5 Conviction.

And yeah, the second point in SA is unnecessary for Vezax, at least on 25-man. Drop Consecrate from the rotation when you're low on mana, sub Exorcism for it if you need additional threat (though with the Crusade spec, you shouldn't).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Dem » Sun May 24, 2009 3:55 pm

54/17 I've gone into Ret 3/5 conviction, 2/3 crusade to get PoJ which I like. Keeps threat up with DPS improving gear so far.

Prot, dropped Divine Guardian which is situational really, especially if you are MTing as you say. Took Imp HoJ. It's not ideal, being on the GCD but there are plenty of fights where it is helpful. Yogg adds is another example. Overall I think this is useful.

I don't take divinity but I do take 2/2 SA as I hate running out of mana, and it isn't always possible to pull enough to get hit enough.

This spec seems quite flexible with enough threat to cope with improving dps gear and at the same time retaining survivability.
Dem

Postby majiben » Mon May 25, 2009 5:00 pm

DG is not situational, you should always be keeping SS up, even if two other paladins are doing it at the same time because they stack. Mitigation is mitigation.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Snickersnee » Tue May 26, 2009 8:45 am

Panzerdin wrote:2/2 SA is a waste, just don't Consecrate on Vezax.
Snickersnee

Postby Lyre » Tue May 26, 2009 10:31 am

^

Even when playing prot deeps I have never had a mana issue when using DP on every CD. (1/2 talented)
Lyre

Postby Akairos » Fri May 29, 2009 8:47 am

Dem wrote:54/17 I've gone into Ret 3/5 conviction, 2/3 crusade to get PoJ which I like. Keeps threat up with DPS improving gear so far.

1% more damage is more significant then 1% more crit as a tank.
I'd say the optimal spec is 0/53/18, takes all the prot talents (divinity is bad) 1/2 SA, and going down to 2/5 conviction and 3/3 crusade, since the 2/2 SA is overkill.

cause if you think about it, what is there really for "survivability?" Sure there is divine guardian or divinity. But divinity isn't that super, usually turning into overheals in a 25m situation or maybe even in a 10m situation.I guess you could just move 2 points from imp HoJ (if you took it) into divine guardian and still have the 18 points in ret for more dps/threat.

edit: correcting mistakes.
Last edited by Akairos on Fri May 29, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The subtle tongue, the decieving guile,
they fail when the broadswords sing
Come in an die dogs...I was a man before I was king!
Maintankadin of <Inconceivable>
Akairos

Postby Cylan » Fri May 29, 2009 9:04 am

Akairos wrote:
Dem wrote:cause if you think about it, what is there really for "survivability?" Sure there is divine guardian or divinity. But divinity isn't that super, usually turning into overheals in a 25m situation or maybe even in a 10m situation. If you have a holy pally with decent gear, his sacred shield would overwrite yours, since his higher spellpower means a much stronger shield.

Different SS casts stack now, so it doesn't matter if your SP sucks in comparison to a different pally's.
Cylan

Postby Conaan! » Fri May 29, 2009 1:14 pm

Akairos wrote:
Dem wrote:54/17 I've gone into Ret 3/5 conviction, 2/3 crusade to get PoJ which I like. Keeps threat up with DPS improving gear so far.

1% more damage is more significant then 1% more crit as a tank.
I'd say the optimal spec is 0/53/18, takes all the prot talents (divinity is bad) 1/2 SA, and going down to 2/5 conviction and 3/3 crusade.

cause if you think about it, what is there really for "survivability?" Sure there is divine guardian or divinity. But divinity isn't that super, usually turning into overheals in a 25m situation or maybe even in a 10m situation. If you have a holy pally with decent gear, his sacred shield would overwrite yours, since his higher spellpower means a much stronger shield. And even as a survivability build you could just move 2 points from imp HoJ (if you took it) into divine guardian and still have the 18 points in ret for more dps/threat.

not like we're warriors, we don't rely "as much" on talents for our threat. IE don't have to spec for it (deep wounds etc.)

3/5 conviction 2/2 PoJ is to GET to crusade, so you cant do 2/5 conviction 2/2 PoJ

and SS now stacks, so its worth it
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Akairos » Fri May 29, 2009 2:52 pm

I was unaware that the shields stacked now. Thank you for clarifying that for me.
I assumed he was taking 2/2 imp mightalso, leaving 2 filler points.
I'm also at work and cannot see the spec tree. >_>
that's what I get for assuming.
The subtle tongue, the decieving guile,
they fail when the broadswords sing
Come in an die dogs...I was a man before I was king!
Maintankadin of <Inconceivable>
Akairos

Return to Basic Training & Talents