Remove Advertisements

The use of Sacred Shield as a Tank?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: The use of Sacred Shield as a Tank?

Postby Kelaan » Fri May 01, 2009 11:29 am

if I understand you correctly, multiple Sacred Shields will lead to procs on more hits, but never multiple procs on the same hit?
Kelaan

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri May 01, 2009 12:03 pm

That seems to be the case. The only minor issue is that having one shield consumed while another is up might be resetting the second shield's 6 second cooldown, in which case you won't get the full 1 proc per shield per 6 seconds.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Garath.Gorefiend » Fri May 01, 2009 2:07 pm

When you have two SS buffs on you, they are totally independent on buff timing, the only rule seems to be that you can only have one up at a time...the cooldown on one is tracked seperately from the other and they do not reset each other.

So, you have take a hit, gain SS, take another hit, consume SS and gain the second SS, etc...

The only time, that you will effectively not have a SS up is if two SS charges are consumed in less than a 6 second window.
Garath.Gorefiend

Postby arilink » Fri May 01, 2009 4:42 pm

SS is my way of a much better critical block :lol:
I try to keep it up constantly.
Lailani - Paladin
Vixi - Deathknight
arilink

Postby Dalithe » Fri May 01, 2009 5:41 pm

[quote="arilink"]SS is my way of a much better critical block :lol:
I try to keep it up constantly.[/quote]

It reduces magic damage as well as physical damage which makes it superior considering that physical damage generally doesn't kill tanks, magic damage does.

I use it cause it looks cool....that's a joke btw.

/r
Dal
Dalithe

Postby Eaglestrike » Fri May 01, 2009 7:38 pm

On fights where I'm constantly in danger (which is a looooot of Ulduar bosses so far lol) I keep SS up on myself because every bit counts and losing one gcd per minute from my judgement of 3k threat isn't going to make my DPS catch me. On fights where others are in more danger I'll throw it on them, for instance on the Thorim encounter I throw it on whichever healer seems to be getting jumped by mobs the most that round when in the arena.
Eaglestrike

Postby Spectrum » Fri May 01, 2009 10:37 pm

Eaglestrike wrote:On fights where I'm constantly in danger (which is a looooot of Ulduar bosses so far lol) I keep SS up on myself because every bit counts and losing one gcd per minute from my judgement of 3k threat isn't going to make my DPS catch me. On fights where others are in more danger I'll throw it on them, for instance on the Thorim encounter I throw it on whichever healer seems to be getting jumped by mobs the most that round when in the arena.

Let's say you have DG and you would have done 10k threat with that cooldown. That's 10k threat lost every 60 seconds, or 166 TPS. Not bad for 10 procs of the shield.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Wibu » Sun May 03, 2009 5:51 am

Will start working SS into my tanking from now on.
BigCrit.com - The WoW Raiding Forums ... Coming Soon.
Wibu

Postby Worldie » Thu May 21, 2009 8:08 am

Garath.Gorefiend wrote:When you have two SS buffs on you, they are totally independent on buff timing, the only rule seems to be that you can only have one up at a time...the cooldown on one is tracked seperately from the other and they do not reset each other.

So, you have take a hit, gain SS, take another hit, consume SS and gain the second SS, etc...

The only time, that you will effectively not have a SS up is if two SS charges are consumed in less than a 6 second window.

I'm bumping this old topic cause i experimented a odd behaviour:

As you could notice from my buffs, i got 2 Sacred Shield buffs up at same time. Both of them comes from Holy Paladins, so unimproved. It ended in a 3kish total absorb in the next melee i took. Yes i slacked on my own SS.

Now, would this mean i'm bugged, or someone experienced similar thing?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Garath.Gorefiend » Thu May 21, 2009 5:25 pm

Worldie wrote:
Garath.Gorefiend wrote:When you have two SS buffs on you, they are totally independent on buff timing, the only rule seems to be that you can only have one up at a time...the cooldown on one is tracked seperately from the other and they do not reset each other.

I'm bumping this old topic cause i experimented a odd behaviour:

As you could notice from my buffs, i got 2 Sacred Shield buffs up at same time. Both of them comes from Holy Paladins, so unimproved. It ended in a 3kish total absorb in the next melee i took. Yes i slacked on my own SS.

Hmm, would love to see the log excerpt on that...

While I have seen multiple absorbs on a single hit, I could always attribute them to a PW:S or some other effect...
Garath.Gorefiend

Postby heuvarius » Thu May 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Worldie wrote:I'm bumping this old topic cause i experimented a odd behaviour:

I remember seeing the same sort of things on Mimiron as well. I just dismissed it as combatlog error and/or other shields. Might be worthwhile to take a closer look next time.
Best looking Femtaur-din in the game.
heuvarius

Postby Corpsicle » Thu May 21, 2009 7:54 pm

I swear I've seen a double proc up on me too, but I'm not remembering what sort of absorbs I saw from it off the top of my head. I'll see if I can borrow a holy pally in my guild to go try to force it to happen again while combat logging specifically for it.
Corpsicle

Postby daemonym » Fri May 22, 2009 1:12 am

double proc? hell i've had double kings on me. no idea if they stacked though, but just gonna assume it's a no.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Galoheart » Sun May 24, 2009 10:02 am

I like tanking in a bubble light shield, so often I keep it on my self on a Boss especially a Raid Boss. Since I have DG it's a min duration. Often I cast it right before the fight starts so it starts procing on first hit. I try to keep it up if I can. Less damage is less damage in my book.

I have Sacred Shield macro'd to cast on focus target so I never have to switch target to cast it on a focus target. Often use that in 5 man set to cast on the healer for that macro if needed as needed. DPS can die but I want my healer alive so I cast it on them. If it's not on a healer the shield is on me.

I also have it Macro also to cast on target target so often that's me the tank usually but it could be a MT if I'm OTing as it does happen. But it could be whoever is target of target as a option.

Both Holy and Rets seem to have much more powerful Sacred Shields than Protect as well. When I dual spec as Ret I like keeping Sacred Shield on myself for a few reasons. Using Seal of Blood as Ret the procs from the seal on recoil seem to proc Sacred Shield and that is quite often as Ret it seems as well I think with DS and it absorbs quite a bit of damage which would otherwise be self inflicted. Since dual spec and dualing as Ret I know I've killed my self by self attributed much to self inflicted damage in Heroics. Much easier having Sacred Shield up on myself. I macro cast it via my target target macro on the MT if they need it as well.
http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/ - My WoW Blog.
"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself".
Galoheart

Postby Funkyfart » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:18 am

Hello,

im playin as a holy pally at the moment been a tank for quite some time also, and it get me frustrated as holy healer that many pala tanks, dont bother casting ss on themselves because its a i quote from multiple people when i said to them its better to use ss on themselves "" A HEALERS JOB""
well those people shud use theyre minds :!:

i only can think about 3 good things , if a Tankadin will keep SS on him/herself.
talking about if a Tank is pala :!: ( druid . warrior , dk cant do it so i dont mind to go the extra mile for them to put ss on one )

- Duration increased by 30 secs

- increased absorb ( it aint a major increase but surivivabilty :idea: )

- i wont be restricted to the 1 person only thing if i have to keep it only on him i got room to ss OT or anyone else that might need it , even ret pally shud be making more use of SS on people that need the damage mitigation

remember that it can only be cast on one target per pally at a time,
so if 3 pally would be in a raid , you have 3 ss avaible etc etc etc ,

Tankadins keep ss on yerself :!:
Funkyfart

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations