Remove Advertisements

Paladins geared to be bears

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby YoYoMa » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:37 am

I don't get how this is "geared to be like a bear"? You are 40% or so short on armor and on dodge.

On the other hand, the stats you are going for, high stam, high block value, high armor should be natural selections anyway. I'm swapping dodge and parry now for those other stats where applicable now.
YoYoMa

Postby Rudegirl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:44 am

Armor has diminishing returns, the armor cap is at 35k with 75% damage reduction - which bears in decent gear hit fairly easily. With 20k armor however, you would have aprox: ~65% dmg reduction.

(If you look at lore, 64% dmg reduction with 18,7k armor)
Rudegirl

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:48 am

I have like 16.8k armor unbuffed and 375 block value. This is at the T4 level, more or less stacking armor and bval.

Lore has better gear because he is Lore. :p
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby guillex » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:52 am

Sabindeus wrote:I have like 16.8k armor unbuffed and 375 block value. This is at the T4 level, more or less stacking armor and bval.

Pfft. Lore was an experiment gone awry in the Blizz test labs. He now runs rampant through the game, and every day he must guess whether or not he is attuned to drops or not.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Whitewolf » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:55 am

I like the idea, Rudegirl. Definitely would have to get like..S2/3 Gavel for +Spelldmg though to keep threat gen.

Definitely would be awesome on boss fights having 20K armour/20K HP.
I think raid buffed i'll have about 16.5-17K armour, and 20-20.5K raidbuffed HP in my stam gear - but I still need to re-socket a few things. I can't wait until the new badge rewards though.
Whitewolf

Postby Lore » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:59 am

Guillex wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I have like 16.8k armor unbuffed and 375 block value. This is at the T4 level, more or less stacking armor and bval.

Pfft. Lore was an experiment gone awry in the Blizz test labs. He now runs rampant through the game, and every day he must guess whether or not he is attuned to drops or not.

This is me IRL
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Zhalseran » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:02 am

If you want to be a bear, go roll a bear imo. The tank mechanics are totally different, and a Paladin needs a different balance of stats in order to be successful.
Zhalseran

Postby guillex » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:27 am

Lore wrote:
Guillex wrote:

This is me IRL

I swear, if ever I win the lottery ... That'll be me ... Except fit, because I can't stand eating a lot.

Though I'm kind of inactive as it is ... Being 6'2" and 220lbs an' aw... LOL
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Widdox » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:37 am

Its an interesting idea, but I would stay away from it until they make the cooldown of HS a little quicker than the duration of the spell, so you can make sure HS is up all the time.
Widdox

Postby Rudegirl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:55 am

Widdox wrote:Its an interesting idea, but I would stay away from it until they make the cooldown of HS a little quicker than the duration of the spell, so you can make sure HS is up all the time.

Well this is actually better for that reason, it's not like stacking avoidance will make any of us passive uncrushable anytime soon - at least the way i plan it, i will have the HP/Armor to soak it.

Whitewolf wrote:I like the idea, Rudegirl. Definitely would have to get like..S2/3 Gavel for +Spelldmg though to keep threat gen.

Well, part of my plan was using 4part T5 for the blockvalue - so i will have enough +dmg to cause imba threat. Also, i'll be stacking blockrating for "cheap" uncrushable (as far as statvalues go) and that means bosses hit my HS alot more.

Btw, how come everyone says T5 is useless? isn't blockvalue abit underrated?

Zhalseran wrote:If you want to be a bear, go roll a bear imo. The tank mechanics are totally different, and a Paladin needs a different balance of stats in order to be successful.

From lack of better arguments?
I think you better elaborate, cuz as far as i can see - my thought is just a preference of taste that achieves the same thing in the long run.
Rudegirl

Postby Zand » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:26 am

I believe I'm hitting the "what do I need more avoidance for" stage in my gear as well.

Just snagged my tier 5 legs and the VR Bracers, and my anti-crush shot up to 108% buffed. With 2.3 i'll be snagging the badge BP (Nightbane hates me) and eventually the legs (holy stamina batman!)

What Dodge, Parry, Block ratings do you all generally run? I try to keep Dodge and Block at 20%, Parry is usually enough to cover the rest, but I don't try to really stack it.
Zand

Postby Lansky » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:40 am

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the damage reduction in the character screen for a same level target and not a boss? With ironshields, inspiration, etc, I can get a ton of armor but I'm still not capped, or anything close to it really.
Lansky

Postby SmurfZG » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:59 am

Rudegirl wrote:Armor has diminishing returns, the armor cap is at 35k with 75% damage reduction - which bears in decent gear hit fairly easily. With 20k armor however, you would have aprox: ~65% dmg reduction.

(If you look at lore, 64% dmg reduction with 18,7k armor)

Armor does not have diminishing returns. 35k armor is exactly twice as good as 17.5k armor, because for any given hit the piece of meat with 35k armor will take half as much damage as the piece of meat with 17.5k armor.

Armor has flat returns, avoidance has increasing returns. Blockvalue has increasing returns if you compare against an equal hit.

On the subject of "gearing like a bear". Bears stack their armor to cap at 35k, get a good chunk of stam, and then they start stacking agility for avoidance, and strength for threat. A bears avoidance can easily get past 50% raidbuffed while maintaining the armor and stam. (disclaimer: i don't actually have a bear, but I'm fairly certain that this is what they do)

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that saying you're gearing like a bear is a bit off; instead, I'd say you were a firm believer of the effective health theory, which means stacking mitigation (armor and blockvalue) and health above avoidance.
SmurfZG

Postby Dorvan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:35 am

...and yet, I still have a better cloak (just thought that wound hadn't gotten much salt recently :twisted: )
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Re: Paladins geared to be bears

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 am

Rudegirl wrote:Are there any out there?

When i healed, what i loved about druids was the consistent and slightly lower damage they took - even without being uncrushable. And also the high threat.

BTW, against bosses this is a common misconception about druids. They actually take the most burst damage over a given time frame because of crushing blows, and by far have the most inconsistent damage. Druids, can take less damage overall, while still taking the biggest single hit, so their damage taken varies quite a bit. Their high health can often give an appearance of that not being case and does generally give the healers the feeling of fairly consistent damage, simply because it all tends to be a smaller percentage of their total health.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General