Paladins geared to be bears

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Paladins geared to be bears

Postby Rudegirl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:38 am

Are there any out there?

When i healed, what i loved about druids was the consistent and slightly lower damage they took - even without being uncrushable. And also the high threat.

With 2.3 coming out, we will have more HP then warriors when a certain gear requirement is met - so i was wondering if it is a good idea to gear myself to be an uncrushable bear.

Aiming for:
20k armor raid buffed (should be around ~65% physical dmg reduction)
~20k HP raid buffed (decent imo)
~30-35% combined evasion (parry, dodge and miss)
~600 block value (10% dmg reduction on a mob that hits for 6k dmg)

On any mob that hits for ~6k dmg - that would make me an uncrushable druid.
Mob hits for > 6k , i still got 6% from RF to help.
Mob hits for < 6k , i'll be way better then a druid.

Keep in mind, 20k armor is hard to get - but there is a cap which druids hit fairly easily, i could be at 18k and hit 20k with pots/motw/GoA/devotion aura.

A good start toward the armor cap would be ses 3 shield, t5 and the new badge loot is good for blockvalue. Imo, those stats are obtainable.

Anyone else thinking like this out there?
Rudegirl

Postby Mouse » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:49 am

35% avoidance is pretty low for a "goal" I think my dodge/miss/parry is a little low for my tastes, and it is around 45% if memory serves.
Qapla <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 Tank DK

EnsgnBlack <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Postby Gerilith » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:04 am

Your focus should be to survive worst case scenarios (all swings in a given amount of time hit, parries etc.). And I think with a gearlevel like this, there are far better opportunities for boss tanking. It is perfect for ae-tanking, though.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Futtah » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:46 am

The beauty about being uncrushable is whenever you get hit, you're 100% sure its gonna be a block. Which would be the only reason i would stack block value. With this setup, you're "wasting" alot of points into something you're not sure will reduce the incoming damage.
Futtah

Postby Rudegirl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:28 am

Yes but thats the entire point futtah, block value means that whenever the boss doesnt miss or get dodged/parried - it`s a guaranteed block which reduces the attack by 600 if i have that amount of blockvalue.

On a 6k hit, 600 blockvalue = 10% mitigation - just like the extra 15k armor does for druids.

The "idea" here is that you take MORE damage, but it is lower and more consistent then building around dodge/parry like most tanks do - with less hp, less block value and less armor. Which is currently the way druids are working, except they take crushing blows also - which i wouldnt.

In my opinion, a dodge or a parry only results in overhealing in the encounters where a "worst case scenario" is fairly common - taking less, BUT consistent dmg would work against that end in just the same way? Also, stacking evasion over armor/blockvalue/hp leaves exactly the kind of gimped stats that allow worst case scenarios to happen - in the instance you DON'T dodge or parry, you take more damage and have less hp. Most likely catching your healers off guard also
Last edited by Rudegirl on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudegirl

Postby Gerilith » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:31 am

But it's not like people not stacking BV in first line do not have it at all...you will sacrifice many, many itemlevel you could have used for stats more useful. In bossfights at least.
Gerilith

Postby Rudegirl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:39 am

Gerilith wrote:But it's not like people not stacking BV in first line do not have it at all...you will sacrifice many, many itemlevel you could have used for stats more useful. In bossfights at least.

Thats true, but as an example:
-I'd use gnomerang autoblocker over say, the dodge trinket from moroes
-I'd use T5 over t4, or other random parts
-I'd pick up the tanking legs from badges in 2.3, for blockvalue. Chosing those over other pants.
-I'd also use burnoose of the shifting ages over a cloak with low armor/no block value.
-I'd pick rings with block value, armor or block rating over rings with dodge.
-I'd also use ses 3 gladiator shield wall over whatever else is out there, just for the armor.

And last but not least, i`d socket all my gear with stam instead of a mix of stam and evasion sockets.

All in all, you get ~35% combined evasion from random stats and talents to begin with. With say, full t5 - 600 block value should be fairly easy to obtain

edit: For example, farstrider cloak from badges is exactly what im talking about - fairly high hp, high armor and alot of blockvalue
Last edited by Rudegirl on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rudegirl

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:39 am

Rudegirl wrote:Yes but thats the entire point futtah, block value means that whenever the boss doesnt miss or get dodged/parried - it`s a guaranteed block which reduces the attack by 600 if i have that amount of blockvalue.

On a 6k hit, 600 blockvalue = 10% mitigation - just like the extra 15k armor does for druids.

The "idea" here is that you take MORE damage, but it is lower and more consistent then building around dodge/parry like most tanks do - with less hp, less block value and less armor. Which is currently the way druids are working, except they take crushing blows also - which i wouldnt.

In my opinion, a dodge or a parry only results in overhealing in the encounters where a "worst case scenario" is fairly common - taking less, BUT consistent dmg would work against that end in just the same way? Also, stacking evasion over armor/blockvalue/hp leaves exactly the kind of gimped stats that allow worst case scenarios to happen - in the instance you DON'T dodge or parry, you take more damage and have less hp. Most likely catching your healers off guard also

The greatest thing on controlling the damage better having most of them going through high blocks is that it makes it easier to the healer to time his healings better, which is a great mana source to boot.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:39 am

I'll always stack avoidance over mitigation (block value) for boss fights. Sometimes it comes hand in hand though.

People need to stop gearing like warriors or druids and start gearing like paladins. Give it a whirl.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Rudegirl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:12 am

So, quick calculations revealed this to me:

4x Piece t5 (not legs) = 121 blockvalue
Strength on charactersheet = 6 blockvalue
New badge legs = 59 blockvalue
New badge boots = 30 blockvalue
Girdle of the guardian = 33 blockvalue
TK ring = 24 blockvalue
gnomerang autoblocker = 59 blockvalue
Badge cloak (an example) = 38 blockvalue
Bracers from 1st boss KZ = 33 blockvalue
Season 3 shield = 167 block (value)

== Something
+30% from talents (It DOES stack with blockvalue?)
== 741 total blockvalue

If i'm right in the assumption that shield specc stacks with blockvalue, then by these few pieces you'd get 141 more blockvalue then i set out to get. So thats > 10% mitigation out of of a 7k hit, which is alot imo. With 4 piece t5 also, you'd get the 100 blockvalue 6/10 seconds against bosses = 60 extra block value in average = 801 blockvalue.

Not to mention, you'd probably have 20k armor and at least 20k hp raibuffed in 2.3 like this.

ALL IN ALL
65% mitigation from armor
10% mitigation from blockvalue on a 8k hit
20k HP
uncrushable
~30% evasion

Now, the same gear is imba for trash - and drasticly improves if the boss you are tanking hits for a lower amount but has a faster attackspeed.
Rudegirl

Postby Lore » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:26 am

I stack 2 stats: Stamina and Block Value

Everything else comes naturally.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Gerilith » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:27 am

Lore wrote:I stack 2 stats: Stamina and Block Value

Stamina prior to BV, isn't it? ;)
Gerilith

Postby Kombo » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:28 am

the 30% bonus works for all BV except what comes from str, the formula is (BV * 1.3) + str/20
Kombo

Postby Rudegirl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:29 am

Lore wrote:I stack 2 stats: Stamina and Block Value

Then i love you, how much blockvalue u got atm?
Rudegirl

Postby Lore » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:36 am

Somewhere around 535. I can break 750ish (>1000 when I pop trinket) but I have to gimp myself pretty bad in other areas to do it.
Lore
Global Mod

Next

Return to General