Remove Advertisements

How to Solo Garr: A Guide for Warrior and Paladin Tanks

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: How to Solo Garr: A Guide for Warrior and Paladin Tanks

Postby Tropicana » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Question to anyone who have gotten Garr's bindings:
Do you remember what day of the week they dropped for you on?

I'm 99% sure when I got Geddon's binding, it was a Friday
Another person I know got Geddon's on a Friday
Today(Friday) I and a few guildies zerged through it, again geddon's bindings drop.

I know "random loot is random", but my loot luck has always been terrible, so just a superstition to work off of.
Tropicana

Postby Meru » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:02 am

Really, that sounds so sick. Garr dropped bindings for me yesterday (friday) also!

Fun theory tbh.

Edit: Any theory on which day is best for Geddon? :wink:
Meru

Postby Titanshammer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Tropicana wrote:Question to anyone who have gotten Garr's bindings:
Do you remember what day of the week they dropped for you on?

I'm 99% sure when I got Geddon's binding, it was a Friday
Another person I know got Geddon's on a Friday
Today(Friday) I and a few guildies zerged through it, again geddon's bindings drop.

I know "random loot is random", but my loot luck has always been terrible, so just a superstition to work off of.

I got Garr's on a Friday and today I got Geddon's on a Friday....

2 weeks from 1 year of killing and finally got my TF... goes great with my Bug Suit from AQ
Titanshammer

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:31 pm

Actually, this may not be so strange after all. I've heard a random theory that loot is dependent on time of day that you do the raid/instance. Which explains why that tank never got Moroes Pocketwatch even though he raided every Wednesday night religiously.

Of course, this sounds entirely bogus since it's supposed to be RNG. But I have to admit, once I changed around my own raiding hours I ended up seeing different stuff drop.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Leuthas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:27 am

Just downed Garr a couple days ago, just forgot to post here.

It was a really simple, straight forward fight. He dispelled most of by buffs except RF and SoL, and Divine Plea. I had one Core hound up the entire time, patrolling very close by. His knockback did not get me, as I was stuck right into a prefect corner in the back of the room. Took about an hour for him. Took 2 hours to get to him. The first phase with his adds was tough, I had to use LoH, but once they were dead it was all clear. No binding.

(Level 72 at the time)
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby latchee » Thu May 21, 2009 2:24 am

Finally I got my last binding from Geddon yesterday (after aproximately 25 kills).
:D :D :D :D :D
latchee

Postby Leuthas » Fri May 22, 2009 9:54 am

latchee wrote:Finally I got my last binding from Geddon yesterday (after aproximately 25 kills).

I've been running Molten Core almost weekly since it weas released, and I have only seen Garr's binding, twice.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri May 22, 2009 9:57 am

Leuthas wrote:
latchee wrote:Finally I got my last binding from Geddon yesterday (after aproximately 25 kills).

I've been running Molten Core almost weekly since it weas released, and I have only seen Garr's binding, twice.

Well that's depressing.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Tropicana » Sat May 23, 2009 11:57 am

Leuthas wrote:

When I was raiding MC, we had 2 drop from Garr also, none from Geddon.
Now, since I've started soloing it, 2 from Geddon, none from Garr.
Tropicana

Postby Panzerdin » Mon May 25, 2009 1:25 pm

About the times thing: Numbers are generally selected from a pre-generated list, and I've no reason to assume WoW is different. The time doesn't matter, just what number is due on that list.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Vindicated » Sat May 30, 2009 5:51 am

It isn't a random theory, there was actually a blue post on it a while ago. The RNG loot table is generated on the instant the boss/mob is created, and is time dependent. But there is no way to rig it, as it is calculated in such a minuscule frame(Read: milliseconds) that it is about as close to random as you can possibly get.
Vindicated

Postby Vindicated » Sat May 30, 2009 6:01 am

quoted from http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=5288586197&sid=1

The PRNG in Diablo 2 was seeded by time, but we're talking millisecond time here. And we're also talking continually increasing time, ie 12pm today is not the same as 12pm yesterday, it's 86,400,000 milliseconds later. Blizzard still own all the code for the D2 PRNG, it is a proven algorithm that has been tested heavily, and so it is likely that they used it for WoW too, or at least some derivative.

PRNGs are inherently chaotic, meaning a small change in seed means a very big change in subsequent numbers generated.

They typically take in two values, a seed and a fixed value, to form the "result", the random number you use to look up the loot table.

This random number then normally becomes the new seed for the next roll. It is referred to as a random "stream", as each random number is in turn an input into the next random number. You keep your own random stream, seeded from when you log in, and it is used every time you perform an action with a random outcome.

The fixed number is something that is generated on the object for which randomness is required - for example, when a Boar in Elwynn Forest is generated, it gets a timestamp - down to the millisecond. It carries that number around with it until it is killed. When it is killed, it is used as the fixed value for the PRNG. Your random stream + its fixed value = random outcome, which determines loot and also becomes your next random stream.

Even a millisecond-tuned robot with full awareness of the algorithm would have a hard time manipulating this system. It is very neat. PRNGs are indeed deterministic, but to a human observer, it doesn't have to be "true random" to be random enough - it just has to be unpredictable. And this is.

TLDR version - loot is random :)

Difficult to find the actual blue post I saw this in..
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4311143050&pageNo=3&sid=1#48
Ah. This IS the thread.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4311143050&sid=1&pageNo=6#113
Vindicated

Postby Krazy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:31 pm

After 7 months of garr kills, Thunderfury is finally mine!

I'll third..the Friday thing...this is Friday and Garr's binding dropped. Geddon's binding however, dropped for me on March 22, a Sunday. I've been soloing both of them every week since November. I am actually glad it's finally over :-D
Krazy

Postby Rodulf » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 am

Hello, i'm a Tankadin on german server *Die Arguswacht* and since a few months i take my information from this very informative site.

it looks, that i'm the only Player, that kills Azuregos weekly on our server :wink:

Ok, back to topic, I start my MC id on friday morning und kill Lucifron.
On Saturday early evening I went back to the core and kill the big Corehound and Garr. I was very happy when the bindings drops after Garr and then I leave the core to make some stuff with my guildies. Early on Sunday morning (maybe 3 o'clock) I wennt back to the cor to kill the other bosses, Sulfuron, Golemmag Geddon and Shazzrah. When Geddon dies it was unbelievable, the 2nd bindings was mine in one and the same id. This was my 4t visit in MC and my 2nd Geddon kill i will hope my loot luck will stay for a while (no mounts in zul gurub on sunday :( )

Only Gehennas is unkillable for me at this time, have 432 shadow resist but kiss the ground when he reaches 200k Hp, are there any starts for me or wouldt you say bring a healer to zerg him down? Maybe i can Equip a little more Healequip to lightflash me up when Bubble is on cd?

Thx alot for this nice site, best reagds
Rodulf
Rodulf

Postby sublimated » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Rodulf wrote:On Saturday early evening I went back to the core and kill the big Corehound and Garr. I was very happy when the bindings drops after Garr and then I leave the core to make some stuff with my guildies. Early on Sunday morning (maybe 3 o'clock) I wennt back to the cor to kill the other bosses, Sulfuron, Golemmag Geddon and Shazzrah. When Geddon dies it was unbelievable, the 2nd bindings was mine in one and the same id. This was my 4t visit in MC and my 2nd Geddon kill i will hope my loot luck will stay for a while (no mounts in zul gurub on sunday :( )

I hate you :evil:

No, really.

grats :mrgreen:
sublimated

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats