Remove Advertisements

[H] Halls of Lightning

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [H] Halls of Lightning

Postby Baelik » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:57 pm

For the last boss, Loken:

Tell your Shaman to use Nature Resistance Totem or your Hunter to use Aspect of the Wild or get by with the weak resistance from a Druid's Mark/Gift of the Wild. The damage is Nature based and the resistance cuts out a lot of the damage.

I grind heroics with a Holy Priest and find it best to clump together and ride out the storm. But I'm sure with Hunter/Shaman resistance up you can convert it into a tank/spank encounter with any group.

Always killed under 2 minutes.
Baelik

Postby Dracora » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Your Holy priest must be one godly healer. In every pug I tell them to stack on the Moon (me) and follow me everywhere. Usually works 80% of the time.
"Those who are strong have to be right."
~ Wufei Chang
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spinebreaker&n=Dracora
Dracora

Postby Baelik » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:38 am

Yes he sure is. I'm such a 'great' tank I always push him to test his limits :P

Just wanted to add that a DK with Anti Magic Zone is also of great benefit as it will allow you to bide through one of the Lightning Novas without running and without any problems. Probably best used at the later Novas to allow you to burn him down to 0% quicker.
Baelik

Postby Riposte » Sun May 03, 2009 12:48 am

I've never once had a group run out of the novas. I think I've only ever wiped on him once or twice. Even when I was in my initial level 80 tanking gear (uncrit and about 24k health with low avoidance/mit) we just stood there and took it, and the healer healed through the novas. I'm kind of surprised at the difficulty that some people seem to have, but I guess with the wrong healer it could be hard...
Riposte

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu May 07, 2009 6:44 am

Not run it many times, but I and other guildies have found it trivial when you stack on top of Loken and just nuke - seen plenty of people get the 2 minute achievement this way (in fact, the groups I've been with have done every achievement for HoL on every run, though Volkhan's achievement seems to just happen no matter what you do). The runs I've been on have had either a Holy or Disc priest healing.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby zippo » Sat May 16, 2009 7:04 am

thanks for this. did my first run tonight. no problems cheers
zippo

Postby ldeboer » Sun May 17, 2009 9:43 pm

One comment I would make is when people say stack on its not a literal stand on the tanks head.
You still incur extra damage by being too close to others as some of the debuffs chain.

I usually say I will tank him in the middle of the circle going to the back rest of you spread out
around him on the circle. I also instruct the healer to heal the clothies before me he really doesnt
hit hard its only
    the nova that hurts.

When he starts to cast NOVA locks should always start life draining and mages should ice block
    the first one by the second nova he will be almost dead and it doesnt matter if you lose a clothie
    or two you can 2 man him with healer from there.
    ldeboer

Postby Riposte » Mon May 18, 2009 10:40 pm

ldeboer wrote:One comment I would make is when people say stack on its not a literal stand on the tanks head.
    You still incur extra damage by being too close to others as some of the debuffs chain.

By stacking I did mean literally stand on the tanks head. The damage from the debuff is trivial and the nova damage can be healed through pretty easily. The only healer I can imagine having any difficulty here would be a paladin for lack of AoE/HoTs, but I've even done this with merely decent paladins healing.
    Riposte

Postby Doogiehowser » Tue May 19, 2009 3:32 pm

I find that having the healer (which has been me at times) stay outside of nova range and eat the aura damage. It's weak, especially if you have a resist up. All ranged should be outside of nova as well. All melee will stand in the nova and just nuke.

Even with a melee heavy group, (tank + 2 fury warriors and ret pally and me healing) it's pretty easy so long as you have Beacon on someone. When you start to see the nova cast, start prepping a HL on someone so that it hits shortly thereafter the nova hits. Divine Favor + Shock somone, then instant FoL another. At this point, tank is full, most dps are back up to par and you can go back to spamming FoL to top everyone off before the next one.

Melee just need to have more than 15k health in order to survive the blast. Most groups have that by the time you're running HoL. We once did it in 76 seconds. That was fun!
    Doogiehowser

Postby ldeboer » Wed May 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Riposte wrote:By stacking I did mean literally stand on the tanks head. The damage from the debuff is trivial and the nova damage can be healed through pretty easily. The only healer I can imagine having any difficulty here would be a paladin for lack of AoE/HoTs, but I've even done this with merely decent paladins healing.

Abilities Lightning Nova: 20 yard AoE for 6013 to 6987 Nature damage (~12-14k on heroic), 5 sec cast
    Pulsing Shockwave: AoE dealing damge every tick, damage starts at ~800 in melee range increasing to 3000 at about 10 yards, further increasing farther away from the boss
    Arc Lightning: single target attack dealing ~4k damage plus a chance to debuff the target. The debuff deals another Arc Lightning to all players within 10 yards (that is 4k damage plus the chance to get the debuff)

So standing on the tanks head any clothie that wasn't in high level epcis with HP way greater than 16K is gonna die because he faces 12-14K blast + 4K arc damage plus possibly 800-3K debuff

Only a very very good chain healer or a clothie that out gears is gonna survive that ... much simpler to just seperate slightly.
    ldeboer

Postby Baelik » Mon May 25, 2009 4:07 am

Hehe, so much talk about stacking. I never bothered with the spacing to be honest. Though maybe you shouldn't be as ignorant as me.

No one has died so far and my priest healer has always managed to finish casting his AoE heal right after Nova lands. My healer has less than 18k health buffed btw and manages to heal everyone even without nature resistance on these fights.
    Baelik

Previous

Return to General Strats