Remove Advertisements

[25] Auraiya post pull

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Auraiya post pull

Postby Belarkan » Mon May 18, 2009 12:53 am

Hi all,

So yesteday, we managed to kill Auriaya on 25 mode but we had a couple of issues.
Pull is mastered so there's nothing much to say about it. Our troubles are post pull.

First, how do you deal with the defender ? Do you kill him 3/4 times or do you focus directly at the boss ?
If you kill him, how is the raid positionned and who does a focus on the defender ?

We killed the defender 3 or 4 times yesteday but hit the enrage timer.
Belarkan

Re: Auraiya post pull

Postby amh » Mon May 18, 2009 12:59 am

We ignore it for the most part. It takes a lot of damage from the pseudo melee-aoe, so you´ll have to pay a bit of attention to it. When it drops down to 20-ish percent, try to stun it away from the raid and burst it down. We kill it 1-2 times per boss-kill.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Mon May 18, 2009 1:14 am

Just have one, and ONLY one tank handle it. With the "cookiecutter" build you can keep it taunted or stunned almost full time while his jumping around but if someone else throws a stun or a taunt on it, the DR kicks in and you can't do squat.

Just burn the boss with one of the tanks handling the defender, once the defender is at ~ 20-10% health call out in vent and move out of the raid, taunt + stun and finish it off before it goes off.
Seloei

Postby Belarkan » Mon May 18, 2009 3:21 am

Seloei wrote:Just have one, and ONLY one tank handle it. With the "cookiecutter" build you can keep it taunted or stunned almost full time while his jumping around but if someone else throws a stun or a taunt on it, the DR kicks in and you can't do squat.

Just burn the boss with one of the tanks handling the defender, once the defender is at ~ 20-10% health call out in vent and move out of the raid, taunt + stun and finish it off before it goes off.

I'm a bit curious how you can tank it.
I noticed you only have a 2 or 3 seconds every 10 or 15 seconds where you can taunt/stun it.
Otherwise, the defender is taunt/stun immune.
Belarkan

Postby Mozen » Mon May 18, 2009 5:16 am

From my personal experience dealing with the Defender...half the time he's running rampant on our raid. Just by doing HoJ everytime he pounces around, the stun diminishes to half a second easily. HoRec will pull him to you for half to one second then he's off to chew on someone else again.

In the end I save my HoJ and HoRec for times when the raid is in danger of loosing somebody; or when Auriaya is casting her fear. Then I stun him or taunt him, to avoid putting undue stress on the healers. The rest of the time we just rely on the healers.

Think of the Defender not as an add to the fight. Think of him as a raid-wide damage aura. Then you're fine. (Of course when he dies---and he will die to incidental AOE---you need to move the raid away.)
Mozen

Postby theothersteve7 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:29 am

We had the Warrior tank put Vigilance on me and spam taunt the defender, it helped a little.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Seloei » Mon May 18, 2009 5:41 am

i don't "tank" while his jumping around, worded it a bit wrong.
Each time he stops jumping around he gains a target with 1000k threat. When that happens, you taunt him and he sticks to you until he starts jumping again in about ~5 seconds, the jumping around does minimal aoe damage to the raid.
The 'cooldown' for taunt DR as i know is 15 seconds, so after one jump phase, you can stun him for 8 seconds. Since he jumps around for about ~5-8 seconds the DR from taunts will have fallen off.
Rince and repeat with a 40s stun hammer and taunts and he should only be immune to taunts very rarely.

The most important thing is, that if his at 30% or lower, NOONE uses any kind of stun effect on him or he will become stunned just for 4/2/1 second depending on how many there are using it, he will pounce around a fair deal and your taunt may become immune just heal it through and hope it's not a clothie. If his on a plate / tank i just let him be there before he does his next 'jump'a'round'.
Seloei

Postby inthedrops » Mon May 18, 2009 7:19 am

We have pally tank or DK dps get to a good spot where we want the void to be once the defender gets low. Taunt/Death grip/whatever and stun/chain/whatever. And hope that it actually dies there. We completed the nine lives achievement and this worked fine for doing that. Sometimes it'll just die in a bad spot, just have the raid move if that happens (we clump up in corners basically).
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Sober » Mon May 18, 2009 8:52 am

Spam taunt the defender when it comes up, stun it. Our DK tank stands off to the side and Death Grips it out of the raid just as its about to die. Was perfect last week, the defender died 6 times (due mostly to melee) and 5 of them landed perfectly out of the raid. People inevitably get pounced or spell locked from it, just try to contain it as much as you can before it dies.
Sober

Postby Belloc » Mon May 18, 2009 10:49 am

The Feral Defender doing "minimal" aoe damage to the raid also includes a 10-15k hit on the first target.

If you've got the healing, you can leave the defender up. My group, however, starts losing players fast if we don't burn it down when it spawns. I recommend other groups do the same.
Belloc

Postby rokkon » Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Belloc wrote:The Feral Defender doing "minimal" aoe damage to the raid also includes a 10-15k hit on the first target.

If you've got the healing, you can leave the defender up. My group, however, starts losing players fast if we don't burn it down when it spawns. I recommend other groups do the same.

Where did you get the 15k number from? Wowhead (and WowWiki) lists all of the feral defender attacks, and the most damage it can do is ~4k in 25 man (not including the seeping feral essence) and it does less damage each time it re-spawns. I talked to one of our healers and he didn't notice anything like an initial 10-15k damage. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if this is the case I'd like to know the specifics behind it, what the attack is called, if it is interruptable, etc.

Killing the defender doesn't do much good because it just spawns again (at the cost of 1 stack of Feral Essence). Even if there was 15k initial damage each time you killed it and it re-spawned you'd have to deal with that attack again, so in no situation does killing it on purpose make sense to me. You can't off tank it, so we heal through it and at 10% I run out of the group, taunt, stun and call for ranged to bring it down to create the seeping feral essence zone outside of the group. Otherwise everyone is DPSing the boss.

We've only run it on 10 man so I'd like to know more about the initial 15k damage if possible (maybe it's a 25 man only thing). We are set to run her tonight on 25 man.
rokkon

Postby Belloc » Mon May 18, 2009 4:18 pm

rokkon wrote:
Belloc wrote:The Feral Defender doing "minimal" aoe damage to the raid also includes a 10-15k hit on the first target.

Where did you get the 15k number from? Wowhead (and WowWiki) lists all of the feral defender attacks, and the most damage it can do is ~4k in 25 man (not including the seeping feral essence) and it does less damage each time it re-spawns. I talked to one of our healers and he didn't notice anything like an initial 10-15k damage. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if this is the case I'd like to know the specifics behind it, what the attack is called, if it is interruptable, etc.

Killing the defender doesn't do much good because it just spawns again (at the cost of 1 stack of Feral Essence). Even if there was 15k initial damage each time you killed it and it re-spawned you'd have to deal with that attack again, so in no situation does killing it on purpose make sense to me. You can't off tank it, so we heal through it and at 10% I run out of the group, taunt, stun and call for ranged to bring it down to create the seeping feral essence zone outside of the group. Otherwise everyone is DPSing the boss.

We've only run it on 10 man so I'd like to know more about the initial 15k damage if possible (maybe it's a 25 man only thing). We are set to run her tonight on 25 man.

Feral Defender Feral Rush hits Yukora for 14353 Shadow.
Feral Defender Feral Rush hits Syleris for 4385 Shadow.
Feral Defender Feral Rush hits Anxty for 4446 Shadow.
etc.

Feral Defender Feral Rush hits Nephpy for 14057 Shadow.
Feral Defender Feral Rush hits Syleris for 4327 Shadow.
Feral Defender Feral Rush hits Laurey for 4488 Shadow.
etc.

Schizophreni suffers 3571 Shadow damage from Feral Defender Feral Pounce. (1580 Resisted)
Schizophreni suffers 3571 Shadow damage from Feral Defender Feral Pounce. (1580 Resisted)
Schizophreni suffers 4082 Shadow damage from Feral Defender Feral Pounce. (1053 Resisted)
Schizophreni suffers 4593 Shadow damage from Feral Defender Feral Pounce. (526 Resisted)
within 5 seconds.

Feral Defender melee swing hits Civrock for 10154 Shadow. (1199 Resisted)

So, yeah, the Feral Rush always hits for around 14k on the first target. Feral Pounce deals a big chunk of damage over 5 seconds. Melee swings can hit really hard. The 10-man numbers are nowhere near comparable to the 25-man numbers, nor do they have the initial huge damage hit on the feral rush.

As you suggested, it is a 25-man only thing. And believe me, it's not fun. If you can manage to heal through it, do it. If you start losing people to it, however, you will have to kill the defender. You will probably hit the enrage timer if that's the case (our first kill was just after she enraged... it gets easier :) ).
Belloc

Postby rokkon » Mon May 18, 2009 4:29 pm

So it looks like it might be wise to have shadow resist aura up. Also I wonder about the initial aggro can it be taunted by an off tank so the first blow would go to someone with 40k health? I'll have to give that a try.

Those numbers are way higher than what wowhead lists for the feral rush and feral pounce for 25 man Auriaya. I wonder if there is some kind of buff or debuff going on there? Or maybe wowhead just hasn't updated it.
rokkon

Postby Belloc » Mon May 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Wowhead and wowwiki have never mentioned the initial huge hit, as far as I can recall. It can't be controlled, either. Even if you've just taunted the defender, he'll rush at a random target with your fixate still on him.

It's just there to make him more dangerous. Also, note how the feral pounce has damage resisted whereas the feral rush doesn't. Feral rush is going to hit that hard no matter what. Resistance helps for the other elements of the fight, but you're probably going to have to kill the defender either way.
Belloc

Postby Belarkan » Tue May 19, 2009 3:27 am

Belloc wrote:As you suggested, it is a 25-man only thing. And believe me, it's not fun. If you can manage to heal through it, do it. If you start losing people to it, however, you will have to kill the defender. You will probably hit the enrage timer if that's the case (our first kill was just after she enraged... it gets easier :) ).

We also finished it while she enraged (/love rogue evades and hunters tanking) which is why I'm asking advices on how to deal her.
Belarkan

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon