Remove Advertisements

Having issues MTing 25 man...

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Having issues MTing 25 man...

Postby Serelynn » Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 am

Steelbreaker is great for a paladin to tank, nothing he does favors another class. I can Cleanse the effect within 0.25-0.40 seconds of Fusion Punch completing, another healer, even one that is anticipating it was taking 0.60-0.80 seconds, which could mean a tick of damage if it happened any slower. It also saves a healer from using a GCD which they could use to continue healing. The only advice I could give you is to drink an Indestructible Potion before running into the boss, and then drink another one when the potion expires. Beyond that point, as long as you move Steelbreaker out of the Rune of Power, any failure is likely on your healers.

If there are still problems, having a WWS or combat log snippet would be helpful to look at.
Serelynn

Postby Belloc » Thu May 14, 2009 10:58 am

Serelynn wrote:Steelbreaker is great for a paladin to tank, nothing he does favors another class. I can Cleanse the effect within 0.25-0.40 seconds of Fusion Punch completing, another healer, even one that is anticipating it was taking 0.60-0.80 seconds, which could mean a tick of damage if it happened any slower. It also saves a healer from using a GCD which they could use to continue healing. The only advice I could give you is to drink an Indestructible Potion before running into the boss, and then drink another one when the potion expires. Beyond that point, as long as you move Steelbreaker out of the Rune of Power, any failure is likely on your healers.

If there are still problems, having a WWS or combat log snippet would be helpful to look at.

I agree. Until you're working on the hard mode, Paladin tanks are best for Steelbreaker simply for the free cleansing.

50k Death Knights are where it's at for hard-mode, though =/
Belloc

Postby milabrega » Thu May 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks so much for all the advice and info, guys. It's really helping me :)

And yeah I guess a lot of you are right about the healers... they do need to pick it up >.<...

But really... thanks a lot! The info is really helpful.
milabrega

Postby Corpsicle » Thu May 14, 2009 3:08 pm

Candiru wrote:Tanking steelbreaker should be fine until you get a fusion punch + rune of power combo. This will one-shot you.

What you need to do is have the runemaster in a focus frame, and when you see him target steelbreaker RUN AWAY, since that means he is casting a rune of power on steelbreaker.

Also, self-cleanse spam as soon as fusion punch starts getting over half-way through the cast.

If you see a rune coming which you cannot avoid in time, hit shield wall.

This, but also if you have a wall directly to your back it will be difficult to see Steelbreaker's feet at times. Have an awake dps or healer watch Steelbreaker just to help guard against that toe in Rune of Power = Fusion Punch one hit combo.

For spamming cleanse, make a macro along the lines :
#showtooltip Cleanse
/target=YourNameHere
/cast Cleanse

Something like that should work, no need to swap targets, hold down the alt key, or what not.
Corpsicle

Postby Tiandelin » Thu May 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Candiru wrote:Tanking steelbreaker should be fine until you get a fusion punch + rune of power combo. This will one-shot you.

What you need to do is have the runemaster in a focus frame, and when you see him target steelbreaker RUN AWAY, since that means he is casting a rune of power on steelbreaker.

Also, self-cleanse spam as soon as fusion punch starts getting over half-way through the cast.

If you see a rune coming which you cannot avoid in time, hit shield wall.

An interesting note is that Steelbreaker doesn't seem to stand still while he's casting fusion punch. You can drag him around and he'll follow you even though he's in mid-cast. I'm not sure if Molgeim targets other mobs or the ground where they're standing with his runes, but if it's the latter, then you should be safe if you just start moving whenever you see Molgeim laying down a Rune of Power.

That said, rune/punch overlap seems to be a rare enough event that it's probably best to use divine protection anyway, just in case.

Corpsicle wrote:For spamming cleanse, make a macro along the lines :
#showtooltip Cleanse
/target=YourNameHere
/cast Cleanse

Something like that should work, no need to swap targets, hold down the alt key, or what not.

You don't really need a macro, just have auto self-cast turned on. If you don't like that for some reason, then "/cast [target=player] Cleanse" works without switching targets.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Seloei » Fri May 15, 2009 12:07 am

If your having problems seeing where the rune of power will be cast, put runemaster molgeim as your focus target and when you see Steelbreaker targeted, start running before the cast is finished and the damage buff will be left where he was standing.
Seloei

Postby Maat » Fri May 15, 2009 1:59 am

I don't like having auto self-cast on. Nothing like trying to BoP someome right before they die, them dying anyway, then BoPing yourself.

This is my Cleanse macro:
#showtooltip Cleanse
/stopcasting
/cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead] Cleanse; [help] Cleanse; [target=player] Cleanse

Casts on mouseover, on target if it's friendly, or myself if I'm targeting an enemy and my mouse is over no friendly target.

Getting ownzed by Steelbreaker is just fact of life, but every tank is going to be hit hard by him. Like others have said, just keep Runemaster on focus, and preempt the Rune of Power cast when you see him targetting Steelbreaker.
Maat

Postby milabrega » Fri May 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Great advice, guys! Thanks a bunch to those of you who have contributed.
milabrega

Postby Jtree » Fri May 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Seloei wrote:If your having problems seeing where the rune of power will be cast, put runemaster molgeim as your focus target and when you see Steelbreaker targeted, start running before the cast is finished and the damage buff will be left where he was standing.

Hell, if the Runemaster tank keeps him turned away from Steelbreaker, Runemaster will turn toward the big guy to cast a rune on him. That''ll be warning enough, I should think.
Jtree

Postby Corman » Mon May 18, 2009 8:22 am

Definitely self-cleanse is important. No one wants you to live more than yourself ;) Plus yeah, I'd prefer my healers to heal. I'd let my ret pally cleanse except.... well like I said, for some reason I make sure it doesn't fail. I give up a GCD sadly on my rotation but I'm never at risk of dying (One of two fights were DPS can catch me on threat if they get several opportune Runes of Power, I always walk him so they do, to boot :/ ). If you keep him out of Runes of Power (only happened the first day we tried him as I got used to it) and cleanse instantly, he's a cakewalk.
Corman

Postby Sober » Mon May 18, 2009 9:01 am

Tiandelin wrote:An interesting note is that Steelbreaker doesn't seem to stand still while he's casting fusion punch. You can drag him around and he'll follow you even though he's in mid-cast. I'm not sure if Molgeim targets other mobs or the ground where they're standing with his runes, but if it's the latter, then you should be safe if you just start moving whenever you see Molgeim laying down a Rune of Power.

I haven't seen Steelbreaker not move while doing Fusion Punch. I died assuming I could run him out of the rune as it dropped just as he started casting and I still got one-shot. Or maybe he just has a ridiculous range. Focusing Runemaster (or having that tank call it out) is extremely invaluable as well.

Also it's been 3 times since I got a rune of power landing as soon as a fusion punch hit within 0.5s of each other. Funny explaining the first couple of times at least. Shield Wall is a huuuge saver here (you can even survive a tick if you need to with it up). Only times I've been brezed too, heh.
Sober

Postby earanduin » Wed May 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Worldie wrote:
Milabrega wrote:
Eh, usually my healers cleanse fast enough before I'm able to cleanse...

Actually this might be your issue, since to Cleanse you they are not healing you. Tell them to focus on healing and leave the Cleanse to yourself.

I could not agree more with this statement. The main reason I assign myself to tank steelbreaker is so that I can self-cleanse the dot immediately upon it's application and allow the healers assigned to me to continue to heal. The cast is long (3sec), and towards the end of the cast i just spam my cleanse until there is something there to cleanse, and then continue as per normal from there. If I weren't a pally tank, then I would ask a ret pally to take on the responsibility of immediately cleansing the dot off of me - i.e. let your healers heal. The other critical issue while tanking him is to ensure that no part of his foot lies in the rune of power.
earanduin

Postby Krazed » Thu May 21, 2009 6:37 am

Worldie wrote:Actually this might be your issue, since to Cleanse you they are not healing you. Tell them to focus on healing and leave the Cleanse to yourself.

Was with a paladin that I swear on invis's cbh that was not doing this -_- Caused a few wipes.
Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live - Dream Theater
Krazed

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon