Remove Advertisements

PVP retri - help needed inside

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

PVP retri - help needed inside

Postby Lkcynric » Tue May 12, 2009 9:16 am

Hi there,

I like to do BGs (never been into arena) and as i tank of course i suck, or maybe i just suck and blame being tank spec XD
The point is, as a tank i lack a lot o things, my heal suck so i cant heal or im oom, cant do much dps since im defense focused (even if it is a must in AV bosses) so i always wanted to go holy or ret as off spec for bgs.

Yesterday i found i had hit 75k honor which is the maximum you can get or so i was told so I have to spent then, I decided to go ret so I can kick some butts, but im a tank since before lvl 10 so i really need help.

Now we dont need BG badges to buy the gear right? you only need honor/arena points right?

Well i intended to link the equips you can get with honor but could find them at wowhead.. so, its the guy Zar'shi in hall of legends. The question is, that are really good pvp equips? or can i get better? (remember i dont do arena, so exclude those please).

What weapon should i use? I was thinking one at the tournament or maybe from WG but I have no idea.
About enchants gems and all that, what should i get for pvp? str or ap? stam? what else? agi? get resilence? I really have no idea :p

Oh a good ret spec would also be nice, but that i can do myself ^^

Thanks for the help and sorry to ask so many questions, but i didnt find this info anywhere even in other forums and since i trust people here, though it would be better to ask.

EDIT!! START READING HERE!!!

I have left the original post as it is just for additional info.

Well I have been asking in spam channel, i mean trade, and was going from vendor to vendor in game and see by myself since no site was good enough for me (not wowhead nor alakazam) since they always show arena rating stuff.

To begin with, the equips are just for BGs, maybe someday for arena, but i dont really think so.
I have no ret equips at all. I want to spend my honor since its already at 75k.

So what should i get?

It seams the only honor stuff i can get is this set:
Hateful Gladiator's Scaled Chestpiece
Hateful Gladiator's Scaled Gauntlets
Hateful Gladiator's Scaled Helm
Hateful Gladiator's Scaled Legguards
Hateful Gladiator's Scaled Shoulders

Theres also Deadly set, but I cant find it in the game and in wowhead it says you need rating for that, SO i excluded it, but theres a few pieces to complement Hateful set wich are:
Deadly Gladiator's Bracers of Triumph
Deadly Gladiator's Girdle of Triumph
Deadly Gladiator's Greaves of Triumph

Theres also rings back neck and trinkets at that vendor in org Hall of legends.

With that will I be able to kick asses in BGs or should i get other stuff? if so what should i get? are WG stuff better? and what else there is besides WG stuff?

Is this weapon any good? Greatsword of the Sin'dorei
If not what weapon should i get?

Well thanks a lot for the help.
Lkcynric

Re: PVP retri - help needed inside

Postby bub64882 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:27 pm

I would get the Hateful Scaled stuff, complement it with the boots and belt from WG (just 30 tokens for both), and use any honor you have left for cloak/trinkets/bindings/rings/etc. One WG trinket and your horde trinket w/ honor, and your good there. Together I think they are worth roughly 180 resilience.

Ret is one class/spec that doesn't suffer too much from PVE pieces, since they are dripping stam and strength. Look for rep items that may fill some holes, such as the Epic boots from Ebon Blade rep, or the leather bracers from Wyrmrest rep. Also you can pick up a ret libram from 1 day's worth of Venture Bay dailies in Grizzly Hills.

Don't forget you can turn your Stone Keeper's Shards into honor, as well as your BG tokens.
bub64882

Postby Lkcynric » Tue May 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Ok thanks, thats what i just though, now i only need a good 2h to start with, any advice on that?
Lkcynric

Postby bub64882 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm using the Titansteel destroyer while I work on the Arena Rating needed for the PVP weapons. Whatever you got that hits hard, use that. :) If it has a ton of stamina on it, hey, even better. :)
bub64882

Postby Lkcynric » Tue May 12, 2009 8:19 pm

Ok, thanks for the help.

Already got 4 equips, 2 honored and 2 from wg. tomorrow ill get a weapon and start powning, thanks for the help ^^
Lkcynric

Postby Fedaykin98 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:12 am

I just set up my PvP gear this weekend as I'm starting Arena this week, btw. I reviewed the Armory profiles of four of the highest Arena ranked Ret pallies to come up with my spec, glyphs, enchants, gems, etc.

As you probably know, Furious and Deadly set pieces require Arena ratings and points to get - although you can buy Deadly stuff with Emblems of Conquest, if you are farming Ulduar.

You can get Hateful Scaled set pieces for Emblems of Valor, which is how I got my shoulders; Naxx25 is pretty easy to PUG or whatever these days. You can also get them for a combo of Arena points and Honor, but if you have no Arena points then I'm pretty sure EoV is the only way to go.

Furious accessories require Arena ratings, whereas Deadly accessories do not. Many of the accessories (rings, necks, cloaks) are not itemized with STR, which has led many better Ret pallies I observed to stick with PvE items with STR when possible. I'm wearing a PvP cloak since my PvE cloak doesn't have STR (waiting on an Ulduar drop), and I'm wearing a PvP ring that replaced the EoV ring which is also not itemized for STR, paired with Ruthlessness.

I would very carefully consider what to spend your points on first. Obviously, the current version of the PvP trinket would be a high priority for any non-human (the one that lets you escape from CC), probably the first priority.

If you are interested in the best gear, Furious accessories start with a rating of 1400, and I believe Furious set pieces start at 1600.

Hope that's of help to someone! :)
Fedaykin98

Postby Bozie » Wed May 13, 2009 8:28 am

This is what my PVP-Ret set is starting to look like, I gemmed str/hit to get 5% Hit witch it hit threshold for PVP. I also do not know if expertise plays a part in PVP, maybe someone here can answer that question for me? If so I will switch out my + 27 str gems for +27 expertise gems to get to that cap. I would also suggest trying to run 10 man uldar for first boss to get Ironsoul, It is a awesome starting weapon.

Link to my gear / glyphs / spec http://www.chardev.org/?template=182198

Link to what i want to be my final set up in PVP http://www.chardev.org/?template=182347

PS - You will see the above link takes in to account MotW and Bok, cause I run 2s with a resto Druid

PSS I would start gearing as follows, assuming your starting from no gear.

Med of the Horde ( Trinket )
Hateful Gloves
Hateful Shoulders (Yay 2 Sep piece bonus)
Hateful Helm (meta socket)
Hateful Chest or Legs
Then fill in the rest as you see fit.

** Number one is a weapon that hits hard like Betrayer, Ironsoul, Death axe of 10 man Naxx (don’t remember name), Jawbone **
Bozie

Postby Angelarc6570 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:48 am

BG's PvE gear is OK to use, and in some arenas depending on your comp. Ive noticed that while running with my shaman and I, they have been trying to focusing me down a lot more so I try to wear as much PvP gear as I can without sacrificing too much Damage.

Currently, I am sporting 4 pieces of PvP set gear (3 Hateful set piece/Deadly Gloves) to get the 4 piece set bonus, which is quite nice for that one second Judgement, one of your biggest pieces of burst that we have. Usually run with PvP Belt/Boots/Bracers ect. With one PvP ring and a PvE ring for that extra AP/Hit or whatever is needed. It changes depending on how the games are running, but that is what it has been so far this season.

Being human (haha, Diplomacy rocks) means you get to run with more trinkets, meaning you can get much more burst potential from it, but still makes taking out healers V.S. say a BE pally of course. When picking a trinket, again, look at what you are trying to do, if you need survivability, maybe, even as a human, you should pick up the Medallion to gain that extra resilliance (although, the trinket from WG that gives resil and the AP proc can be a good start, and is fairly easy to get ahold of).

So, it really, as most things with this game, it comes down to what you are doing and what it feels suits you best. There are some basics and standards on which to go by, but usually playing to your stregnths will get you pretty far.

And dont forget that they changed a good deal how the arena system works, its really not that hard right now to get to the 1400 -- 1500 rating, b/c you really can only go up, not down, so pick up a friend and go smash some faces in with them!!!

And weapons are a good thing to look for, Ironsoul, like others have stated, is a good weapon, but dont forget that there are still Naxx weapons to pick up. I ran with Inevitable Defeat for a while, and I still miss that bastard :P
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Fedaykin98 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:14 pm

Question - what do you do against a Resto Druid / X team? In particular, we ran into teams tonight with Resto Druid / plate melee.

My partner is a Disc Priest. We played 6 or 7 matches, got my ranking from 1000 to about 1160.
Fedaykin98

Postby Bozie » Wed May 13, 2009 9:07 pm

When I go up against another druid / x team we kill the druid. I repentance the other person and when it goes I stun and by that time there is a cyclone up on him and the druid is usually dead in that time period.
Bozie

Postby Angelarc6570 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:00 am

Fedaykin98 wrote:Question - what do you do against a Resto Druid / X team? In particular, we ran into teams tonight with Resto Druid / plate melee.

My partner is a Disc Priest. We played 6 or 7 matches, got my ranking from 1000 to about 1160.

Against druid teams, train the druid as much as possible to keep his CC down. When he pops bear form, you can try to switch to his partner, and you may be able to get some good burst down and catch him off guard and get a quick win :o)

I try not get lured too much into a chase, if the druid starts to get away, depending on the arena, you can try switching to his partner. Druids run oom quick, and they have a few good burst heals, but not many!!

Tier List! Supports!!

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Fedaykin98 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:09 pm

What does "train" mean?

EDIT: And another question. I recently read a guide on Arena as Ret/Disc, which is my comp. It seemed to indicate that we want to mana drain the other team and then clean up once the healer is OOM. Last night, I was focused on getting kills ASAP, which would be the wrong approach if we're supposed to be draining and playing the long game.
Fedaykin98

Postby Jasari » Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:What does "train" mean?

EDIT: And another question. I recently read a guide on Arena as Ret/Disc, which is my comp. It seemed to indicate that we want to mana drain the other team and then clean up once the healer is OOM. Last night, I was focused on getting kills ASAP, which would be the wrong approach if we're supposed to be draining and playing the long game.

Your best way to burn a healers mana as ret is to deal as much damage as possible.
Jasari

Postby Fedaykin98 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 pm

That part is clear, but if our actual game plan is to drain mana, then there are things that I would do differently; I would play to survive and draw out the match, rather than hoping to get a perfect string of CCs off on the healer and smacking the DPS the rest of the time. It's more of a chess mentality. And I have no problem with it, definitely. Playing a defensive-minded game while my partner drains mana is very different from the offensive-minded game that I have been playing.
Fedaykin98

Postby Angelarc6570 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Sorry, train, in this sense, means to consitantly attack the druid or whomever the same target is that you have. I talk too much PvP sometimes, just smack me next time lol.

Again, your best bet to is to play to what suits you best, along with your healer. If your healer is consistantly going OOM early on, then switch to some PvE gear and try to blow the other team up quicker than they do to you. If you like being very offensive, then do that, but if you play better (like me) play defensive. Personally, paladins usually do better with being defensive, because of how many ways we have to protect your teammate (HoP, HoS, HoF, ect.), so they seem to excel with being defensive, playing the mana game. If you need to, keep Blessing of Wisdom on your healer, makes it go a bit better, and may even give you that extra edge.

That CC helps to set up some nice burst, and it does help control the fight a lot more, but, for me at least, isn't the whole battle.

*EDIT* Also, you are right about burning mana for a Disc/Ret team. Your priest burns mana with the IWIN button called...Mana Burn, and you Burn mana by forcing the healer to heal your target. So, yeah, essentially, defensive is a good way to go about it! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Angelarc6570 on Thu May 14, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tier List! Supports!!

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes