[10] Need help for Kologarn

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Need help for Kologarn

Postby Dakiros » Tue May 12, 2009 12:36 pm

We always just take the adds right where we are at the torso, they don't do enough damage to worry about blowing people up.

EDIT: As long as there aren't any squishies nearby. And if there are its their own damn fault for being in the wrong place.
Dakiros

Postby Jasari » Tue May 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Dakiros wrote:We always just take the adds right where we are at the torso, they don't do enough damage to worry about blowing people up.

EDIT: As long as there aren't any squishies nearby. And if there are its their own damn fault for being in the wrong place.

Yeah, honestly I didn't even know they blew up until reading this thread. I've dragged them right through the melee group before when I needed to taunt the body back after our other tank got 2 stacks.
Jasari

Postby Dakiros » Tue May 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Jasari wrote:
Dakiros wrote:We always just take the adds right where we are at the torso, they don't do enough damage to worry about blowing people up.

Yeah, honestly I didn't even know they blew up until reading this thread. I've dragged them right through the melee group before when I needed to taunt the body back after our other tank got 2 stacks.

Haha I didn't either. :)
Dakiros

Postby Hadji » Wed May 13, 2009 4:04 am

Belloc wrote:I think dragging the adds to the left arm would only cause issues.

Dragging the adds to the left arm means that AOE on them will be stifled and that they could be hurting the melee as they move through. I feel that you'd lose more overall damage by wasting time dragging the adds to the left arm. Now, I could see a DK using some ranged AOEs on them to get them to move over, but that just seems a bit convoluted to me.

In my experience, you'll get 3 right arm deaths before the left arm is set to die. At this point, the boss is usually low enough on health that the left arm's death will kill him. Obviously this is dependent on how much DPS your raid is putting out, but I feel that this allows for a much more comfortable flow.

Do what works for you, but keep those things in mind.

Well it's mainly a raid composition/dps output issue. Killing both hands does equal damage to Kologarn, it shortens the overall duration of the encounter and reduces the damage on the MT. Kiting the adds around is not hard at all and you don't have to switch the tanks if Kologarn is handless.
Hadji

Postby Belloc » Wed May 13, 2009 10:20 am

I guess that I was not properly reducing the damage from the 25-man version of the fight. We do both versions the same and I assumed that the damage portions would still be high enough to make that a bad idea.
Belloc

Postby Jasari » Thu May 14, 2009 6:55 am

I didn't want to start a thread for this, but I had an interesting bug on 10man Kologarn the other night.

Right after we killed the right arm, I was somehow gripped by the nonexistent right arm. Basically I just stood where the arm used to be unable to move or cast spells while the adds ran around and wiped the raid. Fun times.
Jasari

Postby Maddok » Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 am

We had an interesting kill last night.

Using the usual kill the right arm when its up strategy. Towards the end (Torso at like 15% ish) after killing the right arm we notice the left arm is pretty low due to collateral damage so we went ahead and killed it. Well killing the left arm kills him, he falls back making the bridge as usual but two sets of adds spawn. They didn't despawn either so we had to round them up and AoE them down. Not a big deal but definitely unexpected.
Maddok

Postby Snippy » Thu May 14, 2009 7:38 am

We had an issue with the OT taunting the adds if they got away... Nice little instant death for the guy tanking the boss.

I've found if I drop concecrate between where the adds spawn and the healers, they will all aggro to me. Easy easy, no taunting. Use the frisbe toss to get the 1 or 2 who somehow just run on by!
Steph - 80 Paladin
<Infernal Regions>
Server: Lothar
www.wowgirlsgonewild.com
Snippy

Postby Candiru » Thu May 14, 2009 7:58 am

Paladin tanks have a unique advantage here:

Bubble / Un-bubble macro will remove all stacks of your Crunch Armor debuff.

If you hit 2 stacks and your co-tank is unable to tank the boss due to
1) 2stacks himself
2) +60% damage debuff from tanking the adds for a while

Then the co-tank should NOT taunt. You should bubble off the 2-stack and carry on as normal.

Only use bubble wall if you have already bubbled off a 2-stack, since otherwise you are preventing yourself from using your most powerful ability on this fight (debuff reset).

If your co-tank is on the boss with 2-stack, and you have 2-stacks left which are about to run out, you can use Hand of Protection on them to keep them alive until its safe for you to taunt. Don't risk taunting with your 2-stack still up, since it might get reset and then you are both screwed.

Divine Sacrifice *can* work to keep the tank alive as well, but you run the risk of Kolagarn doing his AoE left-hand attack which will one-shot you :) So make sure he isn't about to do that. (*advanced users only)

Bear in mind this is only from doing the 25m, but I have successfully 2tanked the 25man version after one of our tanks auto-ran straight through the boss and started tanking his feet :)
Candiru

Postby Salamandra » Thu May 14, 2009 8:05 am

Unless you've done it wrong (as in, one tank gets 1 debuff, other tank taunts, gets one, taunts back, gets 2, taunts back, other gets 2) you should never both have 2 stacks of the debuff, he just doesn't use it that often.
Salamandra

Postby Candiru » Thu May 14, 2009 8:32 am

It is random, and so you can easily end up with both of you on 2 debuffs. Although it won't happen every time.

Remember that the duration of the debuff applied from a one-handed smash is less than the duration from a two-handed smash. This means that if your DPS is good you won't both have 2 debuffs, but if you get a second smash just before the hand dies, you can end up where both of you have 2 stacks.
Candiru

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon