Champions Online

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Champions Online

Postby Ilara » Tue May 12, 2009 10:02 pm

Maybe some of you have seen this before. Myself, I only caught wind of it last night, and I am already puppy eyes for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD1buYCITJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxOjR8rTN8&feature=fvsr

The customization looks incredible. The creators of City of X have grown up, and the result is this. I sat for hours reading about it. they have put an assload of work into it.
http://forums.champions-online.com/show ... hp?t=13693
I have applied to the beta. If I get in, I want to make sure that this game is comfortable for Oceanic users, fix the mistakes that CoX had.

I am so thinking this is finally the game that makes me leave WoW, kids.
/excited fanboy moment
Last edited by Ilara on Sun May 24, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Re: Champions Online

Postby Vanifae » Tue May 12, 2009 10:49 pm

I will try it possibly.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby bub64882 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:17 am

Vanifae wrote:I will try it possibly.

This.
Also, did everyone catch the expansion for CoH? I don't play that game, but I thought this was a brilliant idea...I am envisioning (to put it in WoW terms) an Outlands like zone where you can choose what faction you will fight for...Imagine Nelf and Tauren Druids and Shamans against Gnome and Orc Warlocks...Good times!

City of Heroes first saw a huge expansion with City of Villains (now part of City of Heroes). Today NCSoft has announced their next huge expansion for the super superhero MMO. Titled Going Rogue, this expansion will bring about a mirror universe and a new alignment system. Massively has a brief summary, and a video:
Quote:
For the first time ever, Heroes can become Villains, and Villains can become Heroes. This is yet another groundbreaking game mechanic that the Paragon Studios folks have introduced in a recent whirlwind of exciting new features. Look out Champions Online and DC Universe Online; City of Heroes is raising the standard of superhero MMOs.

Postby Ilara » Wed May 13, 2009 10:28 am

Its funny. Cryptic made CoH. Part of that has broken off to babysit CoH; Paragon Studios. And now Cryptic have moved on to make Champions.
Ilara

Postby bub64882 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:50 am

I can haz moar supah heroez plx? :)

Weren't they working on the Star Trek MMO at one point too? Biting off more than they can chew I think.
bub64882

Postby Lore » Wed May 13, 2009 11:48 am

Game interests me but I'm concerned for the combat system. So far they've said they want it to play more like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, which will bore me within minutes. I don't really want to play a buttonmash MMO.

If they can pull it off, I'll be impressed.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Panzerdin » Wed May 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Champions Online wrote:Vast Universe
Endless exploration: The battle against evil in Champions Online rages across the world into outer space and alternate dimensions. No other MMOG offers players the chance to explore such diverse realms — from the shining skyscrapers of Millennium City and the frozen wastes of Canada to the interstellar gladiatorial arena on the moon, the hidden underwater city of Lemuria and the foul mystical dimension known as Qliphotic.

They're going to do what WAR did and bite off more than they can chew.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Mutley » Wed May 13, 2009 3:59 pm

bub64882 wrote:I can haz moar supah heroez plx? :)

Weren't they working on the Star Trek MMO at one point too? Biting off more than they can chew I think.

They are. http://www.startrekonline.com/
Mutley
Vek'nilash EU
Mutley

Postby bub64882 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Yeah, pretty sure no one this side of Blizzard or EA can support two MMO's at once.

I look forward to being proven wrong, but my prediction would have to be 2X the fail here.
bub64882

Postby Ilara » Wed May 13, 2009 8:36 pm

The EA that gutted the intended release content of thier games just so they could get thier collective penis out?
Shame too, I was originally looking forward to WAR...

I don't know what to expect of startrek online yet, nfi how multiplayer works with away teams and starship play.

Champions though, I am really looking forward to. It sounds like they have really expanded upon what you can do, what you can create. maybe it will flop. maybe it wont. CoH is still going after 5 years, and thats a really basic game by comparison to a lot of others out there.

I suspect as long as Cryptic don't get nostalgic for CoH, this will be a success. Not on the level of WoW, as nothing can beat that until it drowns in its own cesspool of horror, drama and bad.

:) either way, at this point its pretty much guaranteed I'll be on there somewhere.
Ilara

Postby phaqueue » Sat May 16, 2009 2:48 am

CoH/CoV was a disappointment to me... I really wish they would have put in a way to make your character look different as you leveled... kinda sucks looking exactly the same at max level as I did at level 1... also - I think the PVP in that system was kinda disappointing...

I'm really excited for Star Wars: The Old Republic... that will be my next big MMO I think - although I'm pretty sure it's not even in Alpha testing yet... so it will be a while... but it is the team that made KotoR and KotoR 2... so seems promising...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Arnock » Sat May 23, 2009 4:43 pm

phaqueue wrote:CoH/CoV was a disappointment to me... I really wish they would have put in a way to make your character look different as you leveled... kinda sucks looking exactly the same at max level as I did at level 1... also - I think the PVP in that system was kinda disappointing...

I'm really excited for Star Wars: The Old Republic... that will be my next big MMO I think - although I'm pretty sure it's not even in Alpha testing yet... so it will be a while... but it is the team that made KotoR and KotoR 2... so seems promising...

Didn't 2 different studios make KotOR 1 and 2?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Ilara » Sat May 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Yep. first one was Bioware, second was handed over to Obsidian, who also did Neverwinter Nights 2.

Anyway, the MMORPG is being done by Bioware. They have a really good track record for making amazing games. If anyone is as big a contender to take on Bliz scale releases, its them, but a star wars mmo...

Looks like they are gunna go with Light side vs Dark side factions too.

Champions is said to have more and more advanced looking costume parts become avaliable/discoverable as you level up, so I imagine that creativity is really your primary limitation.
I look forward to seeing how well they pull it off.
Ilara

Postby Aeran » Sun May 24, 2009 4:10 am

bub64882 wrote:Yeah, pretty sure no one this side of Blizzard or EA can support two MMO's at once.

I look forward to being proven wrong, but my prediction would have to be 2X the fail here.

I'm confused, NCSoft has Lineage, Lineage II, CoH, CoV, and Guildwars. Or do you mean the studio itself, because its not the same one, they broke off I thought someone said, so that the original CoH people are working on Champions Online?

**furthermore, Blizzard isn't even supporting two games, let alone two MMOs, no matter what they have in development at the moment.
Last edited by Aeran on Sun May 24, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aeran

Postby QuantumDelta » Sun May 24, 2009 7:53 am

NCSoft and Sony were gonna be my chipins too actually ;D
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum