Remove Advertisements

Bear Boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Bear Boss

Postby Mouse » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:59 pm

I have only had a chance to run ZA once between raiding, working, and such. My pally is my alt, and I have to dedicate most of my WoW time to my lock (wtb more locks in my guild so i can switch, seriously). I have most gear from kara (need nightbane loot, maiden gloves), and am sitting at 13k hp, 14.7k armor, 260 spell dmg.

I tanked the Bear form, and we 2-shotted him (semi pug, several guildies were on alts, so for the most part we could have fit the "post-prince" mold) The dmg I was taking seemed faily large, is the consensus (if there is one yet) to tank the bear or human form?

This fight mainly seems to be soft gear check as he has a silly amount of HP. Having downed him, I am not worried about being geared enough, especially with the heroic loot I'll grab as soon as 2.3 comes out, but want to make the runs as smooth as possible, soooooo

TLDR: Bear Form or Human Form?
Qapla <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 Tank DK

EnsgnBlack <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Re: Bear Boss

Postby Barwick » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:14 pm

Mouse wrote:I have only had a chance to run ZA once between raiding, working, and such. My pally is my alt, and I have to dedicate most of my WoW time to my lock (wtb more locks in my guild so i can switch, seriously). I have most gear from kara (need nightbane loot, maiden gloves), and am sitting at 13k hp, 14.7k armor, 260 spell dmg.

I tanked the Bear form, and we 2-shotted him (semi pug, several guildies were on alts, so for the most part we could have fit the "post-prince" mold) The dmg I was taking seemed faily large, is the consensus (if there is one yet) to tank the bear or human form?

This fight mainly seems to be soft gear check as he has a silly amount of HP. Having downed him, I am not worried about being geared enough, especially with the heroic loot I'll grab as soon as 2.3 comes out, but want to make the runs as smooth as possible, soooooo

TLDR: Bear Form or Human Form?

According to my warrior Co-tank, he was getting immunes trying to taunt him in human phase. We would just switch tanks every time he went into bear. I would start off tanking then when he dropped into bear, he would be taunted off. The warrior would hold him through human and into the next bear where I would taunt him. Worked like a charm, having downed with tons of time to spare on the enrage timer.
Barwick

Postby Dorvan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:45 pm

Just did this for the first time tonight. The first attempt I tanked the bear form and got stomped at one point. After that we switched roles, but we had a couple more tank deaths before the healers got their timing down so it's not clear whether it mattered what form I tanked. My druid co-tank had 3 taunts resisted during the fight, so BoP and DS were a big help. Got a pair of Jungle Stompers for my trouble :-)
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Mouse » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:36 am

yea taunt resists seem to spell disaster for the encounter. Luckily BoP works for me, and I can DS oiut of both debuffs if the wars taunt resists.
Qapla <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 Tank DK

EnsgnBlack <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Postby reyia » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:19 am

As far as the big hits, it may not be common knowledge that the swipe he does in human form is split between the people in the frontal arc.

We wiped a bunch of times on it when we thought it was just a straight 11k to the face, but he was trivial when we figured out that if we put 3 in front, it's only 3 k to the face.
reyia

Postby dern » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:59 am

Mouse wrote:yea taunt resists seem to spell disaster for the encounter. Luckily BoP works for me, and I can DS oiut of both debuffs if the wars taunt resists.

stoneform may last just long enough to save a wipe, is the debuff a bleed?
dern

Postby Dorvan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:04 pm

dern wrote:stoneform may last just long enough to save a wipe, is the debuff a bleed?

Mangle itself isn't a bleed effect as far as I know, but the bleeds themselves applied by the bear form certainly are.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:41 pm

Yep, Stoneform rocks for this fight.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Axel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:58 am

We tanked the dude with two paladins. This worked like a charm.

- If the dude shifts form the offtank used "Righteous Defense" and becomes maintank until the dude shifts form again.
- If "Righteous Defense" was resisted and the current tank has bleeding effect stacked if the dude chages to bear form, we used the Cast/Cancel "Divine Shield" Macro to remove tthe bleeding effect and keep tanking.
- Using "Righteous Defense" we reached amazing TPS Stats. Maintank and Offtank always were on 1st and 2nd place in threat table.

ZA seems to be a perfect Paladin Tanking Instance. For now, i love this place.
Axel

Postby jere » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:28 pm

Is there an average amount of time it takes to kill this guy. Both myself and the prot warrior that was in the group seemed to handle the incoming damage ok, but our healers were running out of mana at about 50% of his health. I would like to think it was a DPS issue possibly and we weren't killing him fast enough, but it could be that we were taking too much damage and the healers just got drained.

Still, I was under the impression that you needed to be at a gear level around or after prince/nightbane, and both me and the prot warrior have some T5 quality gear mixed with mostly T4 level from Mag/Gruul/Kara.
jere

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:36 am

We realized that using a warrior on the Bear form is more safe, since he can SW or LS in case of a very bad timed silence.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fiorina » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:14 pm

bubble+taunt, problem solved :)
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Re: Bear Boss

Postby Lore » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:22 pm

Barwick wrote:According to my warrior Co-tank, he was getting immunes trying to taunt him in human phase.

I've tanked him both phases, never seen an immune >.>
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Orbitus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:06 pm

I've tanked both phases as well in mostly Kara gear (no T4), and had 0 taunt resists or immune so far.

jere wrote:Is there an average amount of time it takes to kill this guy.

The longest battle I had with him was just over 9 minutes, and the healers didn't go OOM. I must admit though Wisdom was judged, we had a shadow priest, and had a shaman.

The fastest was 6 minutes and 4 seconds on the dot.
Orbitus

Postby jere » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:05 am

Orbitus wrote:I've tanked both phases as well in mostly Kara gear (no T4), and had 0 taunt resists or immune so far.

jere wrote:Is there an average amount of time it takes to kill this guy.

The longest battle I had with him was just over 9 minutes, and the healers didn't go OOM. I must admit though Wisdom was judged, we had a shadow priest, and had a shaman.

The fastest was 6 minutes and 4 seconds on the dot.

Thank you very much. That helps me with trying to establish a baseline for our group. I really appreciate it.
jere

Next

Return to Zul'aman