Remove Advertisements

[10] Emalon the Stormwatcher.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Emalon the Stormwatcher.

Postby inthedrops » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:50 am

I have only done 10 man, but I tanked the adds. I made sure that none had full health, and I have enemy health bars turned on. As soon as the boss emotes I simply look for the health bar that became full, select it, and mark it with a skull.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby lusisia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:15 am

Jasari wrote:Quick tip for burning adds fast:

Mark each add and have a different DPSer /focus each one. Whenever Emalon does his emote, the DPSer whose add got buffed calls out the mark so that everyone is able to get on it fast. We noticed that with all the added stacked up so close this is the fastest way to distinguish which mob has the buff.

Also have the OT body pull and then have the MT pick up Emalon.

We 2-shot it with 2 tanks, 2 healers and 6 DPS. 7/10 were guildies.

I kind of like that it's not a loot pinata like Archavon.

That focus tactic is brilliant. We actually had one person watching out with me to make sure that one didn't get missed. When they're stacked up like that, it's next to impossible for the tank to see which one is the offender without constantly tabbing the whole time adding to the weird hitbox issue (this is with floating health bars turned on).
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby juggi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:37 am

I'll be trying the focus thing next week. Health bars got mixed a lot because the mobs gathered so tightly on me. We did find the nova appeared to do more damage the closer you were. So MT stayed at max range and OT (me) stayed about 10-15 yards off the boss so melees could just turn and burn. We lost a few melee though because of nova while dpsing the adds. So have melee keep the boss on focus so they know its coming and can move a bit.
juggi

Postby doteh » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:22 am

We had a drood tank the adds and the boss all together for fast mellee switches. 1dps on the main tank list to find the debuffed mob and call for assist on ts, having the mt call nova's is a big help aswell - 7dps makes the add killing pretty trivial think we got this 2nd try. Dropped tank gloves aswell xD
doteh

Postby lusisia » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 am

So we got it down after a few fucked up attempts last night. As previously, I was on adds. Here's what we did:

(use this pic for reference - http://www.wowwiki.com/Image:Emalon.jpg)
I started the pull. Normal prep (DP and HS up). Ran in with the other tank behind me. Dropped consecrate.

I pulled everything over to the left of Emalon in the picture - in the corner of the hexagon on the floor. The maintank then taunted Emalon off me and pulled him into the nook to the left of the picture. My back was to the back of the room. This put me outside nova range and minimized the distance melee had to move to get on the overcharged add. Ranged we're on the steps spread out.

We didn't mark any targets because we found it pointless after a few attempts. We would mark the overcharged add with a skull when it happened. That made cycling through targets pretty easy. The first overcharged add was HELLA easy because the Tempest with the lowest health is the one that gets overcharged. Considering I was the only one doing any DPS on the adds, it was always my main target. That switch was easy.

The hard part comes when that add (or any other is killed). The replacement immediately spawns next to Emalon. That's the reasoning for my positioning. I was tanking them over at the wall opposite Em but picking up ads and getting dps over to the overcharged was a pain in the ass from that range. Hence my moving closer to Emalon. I kept my camera at max distance and went to an overhead view. This allowed me to see the add the minute it spawned. If for some reason I was out of range (it happened a few times), I could just strafe left, taunt and then AS him to bring him over. I could then strafe right and back out of nova range. I would warn on vent when I picked up the add so that no one would hit him. That allowed me to make SURE I had him. We had a wipe or two where someone would get jumpy and snag him before I built a threat lead.

At that point, it's rinse and repeat on killing the overcharged add. It's not worth trying to pull off a burn on Emalon if it means forsaking an add. We saved our bloodlust for the second overcharged add. We got him down in 4 overcharges.

One thing that can be a bit of a pain in the ass is AoE damage. If you have heavy AoE on Emalon, the add you just spawned could get snagged by an AoE class even after you taunted. We decided to play it safe and have our hunter save MD and rogue use ToT+FoK on the adds when they spawned. The ToT+FoK was especially nice when I accidentally killed a non-overcharged add and two replacements spawned.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Annadin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:57 am

Here's how we deal with the add selection challenge, a slight twist on the /focus tactic:

- Mark all 4 adds (don't use skull though)
- Have 3 DPS and MT2 (all of whom must have DBM installed) /focus an add each
- Set all 4 up as 'tanks' in oRA
- With 1-2 seconds to go on Overcharge timer (DBM is spot-on), all 4 ensure they switch to their /focus target
- That puts a nice column of marked-up, ready-to-pick targets in the tank bars
- As the adds are all targeted, DBM immediately picks up the overcharged one and skulls it, no waiting for target cycling
- Focuser calls on vent - DPS either pick up via the skull mark or the tank bars
- This really does save 1-2 seconds of faffing around
- Once add is down, MT2 picks up newly-spawned add and replaces its mark
- Rinse
- Repeat

Note - when we just had MT2 trying to watch healthbars on his own, the margin for error was too great, and the time delay too long. Also, we found that DBM would semi-randomly mark the overcharged mob with a skull - not always immediately either, but once someone with DBM had it targetted, leaving half the raid looking for a green triangle that, 1 second earlier, had turned into a skull by DBM. :roll:

The key for us is having the mobs targetted just before overcharge.
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Postby Sarutankah » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Did 10 and 25 yesterday, I was offtank both times.

Fight is dead simple as a tank, we did use a druid for 2 of the adds in 25 but just walking out a bit and picking up new add with taunt worked well, and exorcism was damn good as a backup.

One thing to note - on 10 man, doing your normal rotation will kill the adds - I kept popping them and having to pick up an extra spawn every so often.

Doing that meant I topped dps :mrgreen: but yeah not recommended as it can get a little hectic.
Sarutankah

Postby amunstorr » Sat May 02, 2009 7:48 am

Did 10 man last night and wiped 3 times, I was MT on Emalon, OT died and i had no idea wtf was happening ( didnt get to read the patch notes) Second go- OT kept pulling Emalon off me, then a LoS issue with the healer, they said (pug) maybe you can run out of his AoE, i said nah- i was sitting at 27k HP. Last time, healer got 1 shotted by a nova.
they started saying i was undergeared, the healer said it was there fault- i said im not undergeared, but its cool... and dropped group.
amunstorr

Postby Invisusira » Sat May 02, 2009 8:04 am

Note that as you get gear this fight becomes just as much of a joke as Archavon. Boss tank can stay in for novas, you can even one-tank it.
Invisusira

Postby Panzerdin » Sat May 02, 2009 10:58 am

You can also back out from the nova a few paces, which drastically reduces its damage (to about 5k).
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby hthomas13 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:18 am

What would the group dps be needed for Emalon? about 15-18k? or would you need more?
hthomas13

Postby Panzerdin » Sat May 09, 2009 1:10 pm

They have 200k HP, and need to die in 24 seconds. Assuming 4 seconds transit time, 20k group DPS.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Salamandra » Tue May 12, 2009 5:04 am

24 seconds seems sort of long. Also 200/20 isn't 20.
Salamandra

Postby Worldie » Tue May 12, 2009 10:28 am

It's barely 10k Group DPS, it's 2k DPS per person :|
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ard » Wed May 20, 2009 6:05 am

I usually tank the adds for his fight and have noticed a lot of bosstanks for this move Emalon from the back left to the back right (nearer the adds) 10 to 5 seconds before the enrage. Personally I don't like it much. I'd prefer to get the distance between adds and Emalon right and just leave him where he is. (Melee) DPS are running enough as it is. funny to kill one of the adds occasionally on the 10man version ^^
Ard <Vision of Excellence> - The Venture Co. EU
Blogging at holysh---ock.blogspot.com
Wilfred Fizzlebang, Master Summoner!
Ard

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon