Remove Advertisements

[10] Hodir

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Hodir

Postby kywirelessguy » Tue May 05, 2009 10:28 am

* The NPCs just inside the front entrance of Ulduar (like a repair ogre) should no longer despawn.
* The Druid Tier 8 Nightsong Battlegear 4 piece bonus should now properly extend the length of Savage Roar.
* The Auriaya encounter has received the following changes: The range of Savage Pounce has been slightly reduced, the impact and periodic damage has been reduced in Heroic difficulty, the Guardian Swarm ability now summons 10 Swarming Guardians instead of 25 but their individual damage has been increased.
* The reflected damage done by Elder Stonebark with his Petrified Bark ability has been significantly reduced.
* In the Hodir encounter, the time to complete the hard mode has been increased to 3 minutes. (This will be applied during maintenance beginning with North America on Tuesday May 5.)
* The health of the Heart of the Deconstructor in the XT-002 Deconstructor encounter has been reduced.
* In the Thorim encounter, the Iron Ring Guard’s Whirling Trip ability will now only hit the tank.
* In the Assembly of Iron encounter, the duration of Overwhelming Power has been increased to 30 seconds in heroic mode and the amount of healing that Steelbreaker receives from Electrical Charge has been reduced to 20% of his max health.
* The first pack of trash mobs in the Conservatory of Life has been removed, one of the trash packs in the General Vezax room has been removed, all of the humanoids in General Vezax’s room are no longer immune to stuns, the Faceless Horrors will only go immune and summon Void Beasts once instead of 3 times, and the damage done when a Clockwork Sapper explodes has been significantly reduced.

From MMO-Champion ;)
kywirelessguy

Postby Zoltar » Thu May 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Our guild is doing Hodir 25 man tonight and the raid leader has asked me to bring my FR gear and be the frost resist tank. My 3 pieces of FR gear were all gemmed for healing as I used to use it as part of an offheal set in the early days of Sapphiron.

I can't see anyway that I am going to be able to stay block capped with 3 pieces of FR gear on. My question is how do I regem/enchant the pieces? Should I just gem for 540 defence and then stack stam in the sockets?
Zoltar

Postby Aubade » Thu May 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Zoltar wrote:Our guild is doing Hodir 25 man tonight and the raid leader has asked me to bring my FR gear and be the frost resist tank. My 3 pieces of FR gear were all gemmed for healing as I used to use it as part of an offheal set in the early days of Sapphiron.

I can't see anyway that I am going to be able to stay block capped with 3 pieces of FR gear on. My question is how do I regem/enchant the pieces? Should I just gem for 540 defence and then stack stam in the sockets?

I made myself defense capped and then stam/hit. and honestly you don't need a 2nd tank, i tank the whole thing with a frost aura and 2 peices of resist gear. It's easy.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby kywirelessguy » Thu May 07, 2009 8:08 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=63512

I think as long as you stay defense capped you'll be fine. Unhittable isn't as important since his actual melee damage goes way down.
kywirelessguy

Postby Aubade » Thu May 07, 2009 8:33 pm

I still say solo-tank it, it's not too difficult, he doesn't hit as hard as general or anything
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Zoltar » Thu May 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Aubade wrote:I still say solo-tank it, it's not too difficult, he doesn't hit as hard as general or anything

Maybe. I'm not the raid coordinator though so I'll do it they way they want to do it first :)
Zoltar

Postby semp » Fri May 08, 2009 4:43 am

Only need 1 tank here wearing Frost resist gear and he/she can solo tank it. On frozen blows, if you run a holy paladin make sure to aura mastery with frost resist up.
semp

Postby Jasari » Fri May 08, 2009 6:19 am

Definitely only use 1 tank for this. I wear 4 pieces of FR gear which is overkill, but it makes keeping me up during Frozen Blows trivial and allows the healers to focus on the rest of the raid. Threat does become an issue, especially with our boomkin, but between my HoSalv, and our ret Pally's, we're able to get by. When we start attempting the hardmode achievement, I'm sure I'll have to lose a piece or two of FR in favor of some threat stats.
Jasari

Postby Invisusira » Fri May 08, 2009 6:22 am

Our very first Hodir I proceeded to get bent over when he did Froze Blows. I was like, I think I'm a throw on that frost gear. It then became EZ mode.

As for the raid, have them group up when FB comes along. If you've got some spare pallys, popping bubble + DS is very helpful here. (Having pallies with this is an AMAZING tool for many of the fights, especially in 25m when you've probably got a couple few rets knocking around the raid.)

Also, be sure to be quick about breaking out NPCs that get ice blocked. The mages in particular are amazing tools for your caster DPS. I usually mark them in 25m, you can /target them by typing thier names (instead of marking the ice block, which will be killed). Ally names are Missy and Sissy (they are gnomes ok). Dunno about stinking horde names.

Also, I see some posts above saying that they only use one tank.
I have no idea why you would use two tanks for this fight.
Invisusira

Postby Blar » Fri May 08, 2009 6:43 am

Holy paladins with aura mastery and frost resist aura up is quite a nice tool.
Blar

Postby Corman » Mon May 11, 2009 10:47 am

While we haven't downed him yet due to the failure of our rank and file to not die, I BARELY take any damage solo-tanking this with FR Chest, Belt, Boots, Ring + Aura and Druid. Additionally, I haven't had any threat issues either as he's sorta tank and spank except for flash freezes... then again maybe he's not and that's why the rank and file are dying...

I only need 1 healer on me and he's still doing aoe healing while healing me.
Corman

Postby kywirelessguy » Mon May 11, 2009 10:49 am

Isn't that overkill? I think you only need 3/4 items w/ aura to be FrR capped.

Edit: Yeah, 415 is the cap. I'm at 417 with chest, boots, belt and aura. The ring is being wasted.

Edit2: We 5 shotted him our first night of attempts on 25 man yesterday. I started with 3 pc FrR then went back to 2 pc to help out with the normal melee phase (single tanking it). Had some threat issues the first few attempts (people getting close, but nobody actually pulled off me), getting used to everything, on the attempt we downed him he dropped his first flash freeze snow drift on a starfire in melee range, so I popped wings and went to town for 5-10 seconds in that starfire and threat wasn't an issue the rest of the fight.
Last edited by kywirelessguy on Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
kywirelessguy

Postby Vanifae » Mon May 11, 2009 10:53 am

Aubade wrote:I still say solo-tank it, it's not too difficult, he doesn't hit as hard as general or anything

I solo tank it and have fine threat in FrR, just make sure to take advantage of the lights as well for haste :)
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Jasari » Mon May 11, 2009 10:56 am

kywirelessguy wrote:Isn't that overkill? I think you only need 3/4 items w/ aura to be FrR capped.

Edit: Yeah, 415 is the cap. I'm at 417 with chest, boots, belt and aura. The ring is being wasted.

http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t44675-resi ... ics_wotlk/

Resistance mechanics have changed in WotLK. Basically 415 is not the cap (it would have been if mechanics had not changed).
Jasari

Postby kywirelessguy » Mon May 11, 2009 11:07 am

/facepalm

Thats way over my head. Still looks like 3 pc is the max you want to aim for before DR really starts kicking your ass. I favor 2 pieces on 25 man, so I still stand behind my statement that I think 4 pieces is overkill. This is based on no evidence because I rode the short bus don't begin to understand all that rithmatic.
kywirelessguy

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon