Remove Advertisements

[25] I Choose You, Steelbreaker

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] I Choose You, Steelbreaker

Postby james31 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:34 am

Quick post as I'm about to dash off out.

The damage output of this fight is insane. At 2 tanks down, he starts raining 50K hits on the MT. How are other guilds dealing with this? Videos I've seen seem to use a DK using Bone Armor and the grace of God almighty to take 90% of his HP off per hit. Not completely keen on glyphing Salvation but it seems like it's the only way - plus threat shouldn't be an issue at this stage of the fight.

Thinking of using http://eu.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=39292 or something similar as an extra cooldown.

(Sidepoint: Has anyone tested if the glyph works when SOMEONE ELSE casts it on you too ? i.e. you have the glyph, they cast Salvation on you. Does the glyph check that it's you who cast it or not?)

Only have 2 dedicated direct healers and a druid's HOTs by this stage. Raid can't spare anymore than that in a 6 healer setup.

Thinking of having a Holy Priest spam smite on this fight and pickup healing @ first tank down because most attempts seem to have people dying from raid dmg and triggering a quick wipe that way.
Infamous Guild :: Outland :: http://www.infamousguild.com
james31

Re: I Choose You, Steelbreaker (25)

Postby Wibu » Fri May 08, 2009 8:36 am

I'm almost certain all of the guilds that have done it have avoided P3 abilities by either... having a VW tank (or two) or tanks hearthing out.
BigCrit.com - The WoW Raiding Forums ... Coming Soon.
Wibu

Postby hoho » Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 am

I'd think that 2x stam trinkets is pretty much a musthave for that fight. Stacking raid with disc priests for lots of DA shields and pain supression should help a bit aswell.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Tieran » Fri May 08, 2009 11:48 am

Wibu wrote:I'm almost certain all of the guilds that have done it have avoided P3 abilities by either... having a VW tank (or two) or tanks hearthing out.

hearthing out??

I can't see that working too well...
Tieran

Postby Lore » Fri May 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Do the other bosses get healed when one dies? I'm actually not certain but I don't believe they do.

If that's the case, wouldn't it make sense to kill Runemaster first, bring both Stormcaller and Steelbreaker low, finish off Stormcaller, finish off Steelbreaker?

EDIT: I guess they do get healed to full when one dies. Oh well.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Fri May 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Yeah, they get full heals when one dies. Some guild (Premonition?) actually attempted killing all 3 of them exactly at once, and they just all went to 1 hp and stood there immune, meleeing the tank.

We started working on this fight last night. Basically you need to use 2 tanks, rez the first one after he dies, and kill him before the third meltdown ends. The strategy we've worked out seems like it will work:

1st tank = DK, personal CDs
2nd tank = paladin, SW first Fusion, GS second
1st tank = DK again, GS each Fusion (yes we're running 3 priests) and run other cooldowns between

There simply cannot be a fourth tank phase, as the tank will die before the raid can burn the 20% HP from the last guy dying.

I'm quite certain that not all of the guilds that have done it used pets to cheese P3, and we don't intend to use them unless I am mistaken about that. The trick to approaching the DPS requirement is to hold out for a good Rune of Power and heroism/bloodlust with it going into P3.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Splug » Fri May 08, 2009 12:25 pm

I don't see how you can use the rune of power given the nature of static disruption. You can put a few people in it, but ultimately the disruption is just going to nail them and rape the whole pile.

-Splug
Last edited by Splug on Fri May 08, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Fri May 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Well, either the Rune won't last long enough to be a concern or you'll need to scatter at some point if you get unlucky with the charges. With perfect placement I suppose you could rotate two groups taking it, but I think you just have to bite the bullet on every caster having the buff during heroism.

You may have a point with the melee range, we'll have to experiment with that. I know our melee were trying to organize their positioning in P2 due to bad charges, but I'm not sure if it was needed in P3 on Steelbreaker himself.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Splug » Fri May 08, 2009 2:13 pm

Drama posted a video using non-walker tanks, and it seems they killed Molgiem first so it was moot either way.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Cakes » Sat May 09, 2009 2:54 am

Yeah, I was going to say that Impervious posted a video of this as well. With the drastic reduction in how much he heals from a death (1 million with MS up), it really doesn't seem that unreasonable to burn through 12 million health in 100 seconds. It works well using this strat in 10 man, and the same seems to apply in 25 man, but it's just more tightly tuned with the tank deaths.

Edit: And by this strat, I mean Molgeim-> Brundir -> Steelbreaker.
Former GM and Raid Leader of Midwinter - US PVE Ysera
Cakes

Postby Equitas » Sat May 09, 2009 11:13 am

Attempting this tommorow.

Our tanks are pretty much maxed out. Im at 34K hp unbuffed right now, warrior is a bit lower by 200 hp. Were planning on 3 tank deaths actually because surviving the fourth tank death is just insane.

CAn you bubble the debuff away btw? Was wondering about that.
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Jasari » Sat May 09, 2009 11:38 am

Equitas wrote:CAn you bubble the debuff away btw? Was wondering about that.

Nope
Jasari

Postby Seloei » Sat May 09, 2009 11:48 am

Voidwalker tanks?
Thought they got nerfed with 3.1 like the other of warlock pets.

How does it work btw? You get a 80k+ health buffed warlock pet, chainmisdirect the boss onto him and just keep him there and he doesn't get hit by the 'overwhelming power' debuff at all.
Seloei

Postby kram » Sat May 09, 2009 2:02 pm

the VWs still get the debuff, when they blow up they dont heal the boss i think. Locks also sacrifice them just before they blow up and i think they dont do the explosion either.
kram

Postby Oryann » Sat May 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Can you DI without the boss getting healed for your death?
Oryann

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon