Remove Advertisements

[25] XT-002 Deconstructor Raid Positioning

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] XT-002 Deconstructor Raid Positioning

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:24 am

As someone whose raid has hit berserk at exactly 32-35% every try after the first, I appreciate it. Now, how we lose 2-5 different people early on every attempt, I have no idea.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby BubbaBill » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:08 am

Somebody on Tankspot made a comment on positioning for this fight but nobody there was able to confirm or deny. They said that if you Tank him off to the right or left of the room between the 2 scrap piles you will only get the far 2 piles spawning adds. SOmething about unable to spawn adds from scrappiles that are close to him. Can anyone here confirm or deny this strat? Half the adds spawning from only the 2 far piles would be sweet.
BubbaBill

Postby Nalyn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:17 am

BubbaBill wrote:Somebody on Tankspot made a comment on positioning for this fight but nobody there was able to confirm or deny. They said that if you Tank him off to the right or left of the room between the 2 scrap piles you will only get the far 2 piles spawning adds. SOmething about unable to spawn adds from scrappiles that are close to him. Can anyone here confirm or deny this strat? Half the adds spawning from only the 2 far piles would be sweet.

I know if you tank him close to a pile, he won't spawn adds from it, though I don't know the range. Depending on the exact range, you could definitely stick him in the middle of one side, and force all the adds to spawn from the two far junk piles, would make one portion of this fight considerably simpler.
Nalyn

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:35 am

Huh, interesting... Even dragging him onto a pile would give you a lot of distance to work with for 2, and only 1 "near" pile unlike on the stairs. They always seem to walk right through the side of the stairs for us.

-- I should've asked this this morning, but do we know what the berserk timer got increased to?
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby kensanity » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:41 pm

idk but i love the drawings! good job. Really though, there is enough time when adds spawn to have designated dps do their job and kill them. Target bomb first then aoe the rest. Is not that complicated and people really should stop the tunnel vision and get to adds. HEaling through the tantrum and bad gravity bombs, that's a different story. However, as a prot paladin, I always bubble the Divine guardian or whatever so that i can alleviate some of the damage. On the second tantrum our ret pally speced into some prot does the same. It does help.
kensanity

Postby Nalyn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:38 am

It took us a little while to work out the best positioning for this, we tried having everyone clump up, like for say...Astromancer in TK, but that didn't work, the light bombs were owning us, even if someone reacted quickly, the raid was till going to take 2 to 3 tics of 3.5k hits. You have to spread out in some controlled fasion. Also, people need to be aware that while they need to get away from other raid members when they have one of the bombs...they also don't need to run halfway back to Dalaran, make sure you, and your raid members don't get disoriented because Ulduar is 'giant' sized.

Our winning positioning, and healing setup, was to stack all the tanks in one group, and stack all the melees in one group, with their healer, this healer stands with the melees and tanks, up near the boss. We tanked the boss in one of the corners of the room, either the NE or NW, when he would walk over to it. The ranged and healers were otherwise, roughly, evenly between the other 3 groups. Groups were positioned at range, based on the boss, for example, if he was being tanked in the NW corner of the room, we would have one group at about 7 o'clock, one at about 5 o'clock, and the last group at 3. We also had 2 healers assigned to do 'bomb damage control,' a priest to throw a bubble, renew and heal at the gravity bombed people, and a druid to throw a few hots at the light bombed people. If you got bombed as a caster or healer, you just ran directly away from the boss for 15 yards or so, if you got bombed as a melee, you ran to the boss's left.

We also had all ranged watch for, and kill adds, likely it was somewhat overkill, but preventing the boss from healing = damage done, essentially.
Nalyn

Postby Erodan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:23 am

Nalyn wrote:
BubbaBill wrote:Somebody on Tankspot made a comment on positioning for this fight but nobody there was able to confirm or deny. They said that if you Tank him off to the right or left of the room between the 2 scrap piles you will only get the far 2 piles spawning adds. SOmething about unable to spawn adds from scrappiles that are close to him. Can anyone here confirm or deny this strat? Half the adds spawning from only the 2 far piles would be sweet.

I know if you tank him close to a pile, he won't spawn adds from it, though I don't know the range. Depending on the exact range, you could definitely stick him in the middle of one side, and force all the adds to spawn from the two far junk piles, would make one portion of this fight considerably simpler.

On 10m (trying it in 25 tomorrow and i hope for similar results) we tank him on the right side right in the middle between those two junk piles and only get adds from the left side. It takes awhile for adds to get anywhere near us so we have our melee stay on the heart while the ranged work on adds and then if need be the melee switch to adds after he closes his heart back up.
Erodan

Postby VikrumthePally » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:39 am

On 10m (trying it in 25 tomorrow and i hope for similar results) we tank him on the right side right in the middle between those two junk piles and only get adds from the left side. It takes awhile for adds to get anywhere near us so we have our melee stay on the heart while the ranged work on adds and then if need be the melee switch to adds after he closes his heart back up.

This is what we did last night and it indeed does work.

However can anyone tell me if this is a bug or working as intended?

Also about the light bomb in TT nerf. Lol it's funny. Several times we got LB on our healers last night with 1 second and I mean 1 second before TT starts.

It's a bit nicer but it still hurts.

With our strategy though no one moves during LB so to each their own.
VikrumthePally

Postby Zoltar » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Tried the position between the two junk piles on the left of the room last reset. It worked a treat. The bots only spawned from the opposite side of the room.
I was on OT duty for this kill. The thing that seemed bizarre to me is that we didn't get ANY pummelers spawn at all. After the heat dropped and I did 10 sec of DPS to it I was running out to pick up pummelers but they just were not there. Just bomb bots and scrap bots. Same thing after the second time the heart dropped.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Zoltar

Postby Erodan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:53 pm

we've had attendance issues so i havent gotten into 25m since like last week but in 10 man i dont remember seeing any pummelers at all but i wasnt really paying attention to that at that time. ill make a note to watch for it next time.
Erodan

Postby Nalyn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:03 am

Ya, we killed him again on 25 man last night, I think we got 2 pummelers the whole fight, only thing I figure is the nerfed their spawn rate. I think on 10 man on Friday, last week, we killed him and had zero pummelers spawn.
Nalyn

Postby Zoltar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:51 pm

Did him again last night.

Zero pummelers in the first lot of adds. One pummeler in the second wave of adds. Was playing with him when the MT died. ran in, taunted XT and proceeded with 696 on XT. Next wave of adds had two pummelers, which hunters MD'ed on to me.

The spawn rate of pummelers must be totally random.
Zoltar

Postby Mozen » Sun May 03, 2009 11:24 am

Just downed him today, had our MT tank him close to the right wall between the two scrap heaps.

1. Indeed bots only spawned from the other two heaps. No bots from the two heaps near the boss.
2. No pummelers at all.

We downed him on our second try (first try down to 20% or so), and there were no pummelers on both tries.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the positioning here prevents pummelers from spawning, but I would also guess the spawn rates on pummelers were nerfed, and cutting their spawn spot in half would be the reason we got lucky.

(Also note that someone mentioned pummelers may still spawn from the near two piles, so don't let your off-tanks switch into their DPS talents yet.)

This would be an excellent approach to get your Deconstructor achievements. We got two today: Nerf Engineering and Nerf Gravity Bombs. Both should be easy for a good raid anyway, but our raid was pugged and we didn't really expect any of these achivements.
Mozen

Postby anrke » Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi all, OP here!

We haven't had numbers to go back in on 25 man since my original post, so I haven't had a chance to see the impact of the LB/TT nerf.

I did get in there for my first 10 man on the boss on Wednesday night though, and the 10 man version was ridiculously easy (2 tanks, 3 healers). We had him tanked on the wall to the left between the two junk piles (and we only ever had add spawns from the 2 piles on the opposite side of the room then; due to luck or mechanics who knows). All ranged ensured that they were 10+ yards away from each other, and ran out a bit further if they had gravity bomb.

I was on Pummeller add duty, which was immensely boring - I offtanked them through the entire fight, although some died inadvertantly.. They seriously hit soft, and die easy. We had one mage on add kill duty for the bomb bots and repair bots, while everyone else beat on his heart during Phase 2.

We one shot him, with (apart from some seeing the 25 man attempts) it being most peoples first time against him. The kill was sloppy, a couple dps died (including the add mage) however he still went down without any real grief. I suspect that the enrage timer for 10 man is therefore very generous.
anrke

Postby Maddok » Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 am

Tanked him on the right side last night and zero pummelers spawned the entire fight.
Maddok

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon