Remove Advertisements

[10] 2 or 3 healers. And why.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Would you run Ulduar with 2 or 3 healers?

1 healer
2%
2 healers
25%
3 healers
69%
With duel spec included I have been to Ulduar with 4+ healers and would stick with that.
5%

Total votes : 105

Re: [10] 2 or 3 healers. And why.

Postby Amran20 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:35 am

Mozen wrote:This thread is making me feel bad.

We go in with three healers, and we're getting stuck for the second week in the Antechamber.

On the Council, our off-tank always dies. Always. Every single time.
On Kologarn, our main-tank always dies. Always. Every single time.

We've wiped so badly that we don't even want to try Auriaya.

Ouch... what tank/healer setup do you use?

We use dual tankadin, and our usual healer setup is 1 resto drood, 1 holy pala, and 1 disc priest (god they're OP). We also throw a resto shaman into the mix sometimes in place of the durid. Overall, the healing job is tough, (or so they say, lol), but generally tank deaths don't end up being the direct cause of wipage. It's more DPS death til they learn to move out of the bad thingys.

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby Amindra » Sat May 02, 2009 10:03 am

All I can say is dual spec ftw.

We usually go with 3 healers, but we respec a lot from boss to boss.

Razor: 2 healers
XT: 2 healers
Council: 3 healers
Auriaya: 3 healers
Hodir: 3 healers
Thorim: 2 healers
Freya: 2 healers
Amindra

Postby Belarkan » Sat May 02, 2009 11:10 am

Actually, we have 10 bosses down with 2 healers on progression.
The only one that could possibly be an issue is Hodir with its frost nova. I let the druid tank it (no def issue with frost resist gear) and I took the dispell and did some dps.

We still have mimiron, vezax, yoggsaron to do and we are all in almost full nax25 gear.
Belarkan

Postby Mozen » Sat May 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Amran20 wrote:
Mozen wrote:On the Council, our off-tank always dies. Always. Every single time.
On Kologarn, our main-tank always dies. Always. Every single time.

Ouch... what tank/healer setup do you use?

First week, we had a holy paladin, a resto shaman and a holy priest. Stuck at the Council.
This week, we used a resto druid, a disc priest and a holy priest. Stuck at Kologarn.
We haven't downed any bosses in the antechamber.

We have no problems moving out of environmental damage. It's always the tank going through peroids of time with little or no incoming heals. On Kologarn one try our warrior lived for 9.5 seconds with just hots ticking for a few hundred per tick.

I've even gone as far as binding a Hand of Salvation (Glyphed) macro to a hotkey. We often have to pot/healthstone in the first quarter of the fight because of healing drying up. My Divine Protection has never seen so much use before...
Mozen

Postby Seloei » Sat May 02, 2009 10:19 pm

Then you don't need more healers, you need more AWAKE healers. 10 seconds without a heal in a raid means they are picking their bum and playing the hedgehog game and failing. Get them to download some heal addon if nothing else helps. Theres no way that a healer can slack in ulduar anymore, if their slacking, you or the raid dies.
2 good healers or 3 mediocre healers is enough for 10 man ulduar. Last weeks run i think they used just 2 healers, with the 3. one tanking instead.
Seloei

Postby Belloc » Sat May 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Seloei wrote:Then you don't need more healers, you need more AWAKE healers. 10 seconds without a heal in a raid means they are picking their bum and playing the hedgehog game and failing. Get them to download some heal addon if nothing else helps. Theres no way that a healer can slack in ulduar anymore, if their slacking, you or the raid dies.
2 good healers or 3 mediocre healers is enough for 10 man ulduar. Last weeks run i think they used just 2 healers, with the 3. one tanking instead.

Another thing that might be necessary is assigning healers. With Naxx and such, we just let healers do whatever they wanted to. There was no need to assign healing to anything on most runs. Healers would just find their niche and it would work out. Ulduar, however, doesn't work that way. When you've got a boss hitting really hard, and two of your tanks decide to raid heal for a moment, your tank can die. Once we started assigning heals for every fight, tank death wipes dropped immeasurably in 25-mans. Our 10-man healers, however, assign themselves, resulting in the same effect.
Belloc

Postby Corpsicle » Sun May 03, 2009 1:04 am

We started with 3 healers and are moving away now that we've learned the fights some what to 2 healers. Progression fights we typically are using 3 healers for (Mimiron notably at the moment) but fights like Freya, Auriaya, Hodir we are finding 2 healers is fine as the fights take less time with the added dps (this is assuming dps is reasonably bright and is minimizing their incoming damage as much as they can by not standing in fire, self shields/heals, etc). Our 2 main healers are very competent and are typically assiging heals to maximize effectiveness. As far as I can tell from the fights I've healed on as the third healer, each global cooldown is precious and used as are all cooldowns. The only time I'm not casting something on someone is during phase changes after everyone is topped off. If healers aren't constantly casting (or actively regenning mana and calling the mana break out on vent for coverage from other healers) then they aren't doing their job and some one in the raid will die.
Corpsicle

Postby Amran20 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:51 am

Yeah I would get whichever healer appears to be the most competant become your healing leader, and assign healers. Whenever our group has a healing failure, and DPS or tanks die, we then assign healers, and things go ok.

Also, that lets you know who fucks up when one of their assigned targets dies. Another huge plus.

Edit: I also have my Hand of Salv hotkeyed. Though usually I don't have to use it a whole lot, so I usually, when I want to ensure my life beyond any remnant of a doubt, I pop Furnace Stone, Repelling Charge, Divine Protection, and Hand of Salv. This generally makes me an invincible god of tanking. =D

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby Jaydin » Tue May 05, 2009 1:45 pm

we usually go 3 - on trash and certain fights, switch to 2 (dual spec to dps)
Jaydin

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon