[PvP Prot] 3.1

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [PvP Prot] 3.1

Postby cordelia » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:50 am

So I'm really really uncertain whether it's better to wear Prot BV gear or Ret PvP gear. Both provide very similar levels of stamina and STR. The difference really comes down to Prot gives BV + avoidance, and Ret gives Crit + resilience.

I seem to have better anecdotal results in BG's with ret gear. I would like to replace the neckpiece, perhaps with the Str/BV neck from Ulduar, and perhaps a ring with the Str/BV ring from UIduar. But mostly, the very heavy BV PVE gear seems to lack too much crit and be too vulnerable to spell damage.

Thoughts?
cordelia

Postby Elsie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:56 am

So I'm really really uncertain whether it's better to wear Prot BV gear or Ret PvP gear. Both provide very similar levels of stamina and STR. The difference really comes down to Prot gives BV + avoidance, and Ret gives Crit + resilience.

When you think about it, melee can't crit a prot paladin with lots of block rating since holy shield will make you crit immune. Also the high level of block is functionally similar to resilience crit damage reduction, and you already have more damage reduction from prot talents than anyone else in arena realistically.

Essentially, you want to maximize your shield of righteousness damage then avenger's shield. I'd add HotR, but it's a moot point since it scales off weapon DPS. Your survivability comes build in with talents, so you can afford to ignore it more since your damage does not come built in as with a typical DPS spec. One advantage Ret pvp gear does have is a lot more crit, though. You also need 5% hit.
Maybe. Most slows aren't short though, you can cleanse them against some comps, and some of them are spammable.

Alternatively, you can cleanse your teammate and be out the cc yourself by the time you're done.
Elsie

Postby majiben » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:52 am

Can you switch gear in an arena match? If so then you could vary your gear between tanking and ret pvp depending on if you were fighting melee or casters.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Elsie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Majiben wrote:Can you switch gear in an arena match? If so then you could vary your gear between tanking and ret pvp depending on if you were fighting melee or casters.

Only if you get out of combat.
Elsie

Postby majiben » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:10 pm

Well then since you can see most opponents before they can instigate a fight you can swap at the start of a match with an addon.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Khayne » Fri May 01, 2009 7:03 am

Elsie wrote:

When you think about it, melee can't crit a prot paladin with lots of block rating since holy shield will make you crit immune. Also the high level of block is functionally similar to resilience crit damage reduction, and you already have more damage reduction from prot talents than anyone else in arena realistically.

Essentially, you want to maximize your shield of righteousness damage then avenger's shield. I'd add HotR, but it's a moot point since it scales off weapon DPS. Your survivability comes build in with talents, so you can afford to ignore it more since your damage does not come built in as with a typical DPS spec. One advantage Ret pvp gear does have is a lot more crit, though. You also need 5% hit.
Maybe. Most slows aren't short though, you can cleanse them against some comps, and some of them are spammable.

Alternatively, you can cleanse your teammate and be out the cc yourself by the time you're done.

Iirc, in pvp you can get critted through blocking, and you most certainly will be getting stunned and feared occasionally, not to mention resilience also lowers those crits and Dots on you.

Also, you could consider 2 point set bonus from T7.5 items that got good BV, str, and that nifty +10% Hotr damage.

On other slots i've been changing into Ret pvp pieces, and i do feel it works better for me.
Most of the dangerous damage on me is from magic (casters), or while i'm stunned (ganged on).
Khayne

Postby cordelia » Fri May 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Yes, I do use the 2pcT7.5. I hate giving up the 4pc glad bonus, though, 7 second judgement almost makes it the same as ShoR and HotR.

Mostly I replace the weaker Hateful pieces I have with high BV/Str pieces. Also, the crit is incredible. Especially when used with SotM.
cordelia

Postby Sarutankah » Sat May 02, 2009 5:16 pm

So yeah - being one just try random stuff I put my pve ret set on with sword and board but stayed in my normal tank spec (with conviction).

The burst is amazing. I can kill a disc priest, holy pally or resto druid 1v1 and in my last match I dropped a 21k hp ret from 100%-0 in 7.4 seconds while my partner charged the healer.

I do have 670 resil ret pvp gear to try out when we get up against better comps but so far it's been amazingly fun.
Mages can still kite too easily but if you get a few hits in before blink/frost nova etc you may get lucky with a 6-8k Avengers shield and drop em anyway. I might respec to get some more pvp centric talents when we get back into it tonight but yeah, I got sick of having to hack at a disc priest for 6 months for no real gain.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Sarutankah

have 33% crit and just under 4k ap selfbuffed, wish they would fix the armory to include talents.
Sarutankah

Postby Splug » Mon May 04, 2009 10:06 am

Elsie wrote:
Majiben wrote:Can you switch gear in an arena match? If so then you could vary your gear between tanking and ret pvp depending on if you were fighting melee or casters.

Only if you get out of combat.

Unless they've changed something recently, this is incorrect. Gear sets lock once the gates open, with the exception of weapons, shields, and ranged weapons/librams/etc. This was done to prevent players from flipping to 300+ SR gear against shadow priest/warlock teams back in season 1 or 2.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Mon May 04, 2009 12:02 pm

Unless they've changed something recently, this is incorrect. Gear sets lock once the gates open, with the exception of weapons, shields, and ranged weapons/librams/etc. This was done to prevent players from flipping to 300+ SR gear against shadow priest/warlock teams back in season 1 or 2.

Yeah i completely misread. This is right.
Elsie

Postby Sarutankah » Tue May 05, 2009 5:07 pm

We played a bit more and got 9 in a row then got owned by a balance druid/shaman - was sooo frustrating but we kind of went to pieces after getting nervous :o
only at 1k rating but I have to say it's damn fun to just change gear and go win in arena.

I will get the helm today and have 26k hp, in my comp that means almost 29k with kings, 3800ap with battleshout and 26% crit.
Sarutankah

Postby ruodhaid » Wed May 06, 2009 8:13 am

iv played 26 2v2 games last week, The setup was dual palatank :), it was super funny and we ended up whit a 13-13 score we just used pve spec, and then we used our block sets, there are however 2 classes we cant do mucth against druids and priests, thay woul djust out heal os no matter what we tryed, paladin and shamens were easy to kill
ruodhaid

Postby combatwombat » Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 am

I played 315 2vs2 games with a enchance shaman as prot. We are currently just under 2,1k in rating and aiming for the 2,2k weps hopefully. Im mainly using pve tanking gear with high BV and a few pieces dps gear. DMC:G, t7,5 retri shoulders, str/crit ring etc

Our worst oppenent is by far disc priests and resto druids. with their cd:s and mitigation talents they can tank us for alot of time. At best they pop enough cooldowns during initial burst so we can kill them or their partner when avengers shield is back from cd.

Also made a little video last night while bored in bg:s to check crits i could get etc if anyone interested;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6RLOtOSFOk
combatwombat

Postby Sarutankah » Wed May 06, 2009 2:51 pm

***EDIT*** - Lol - watched your vid - some humongous crits there, I've crit 10k regularly with SOR in my block set but you get some like 8k non crit hits... madness.

Deleted my post because ... wow.
Sarutankah

Postby combatwombat » Thu May 07, 2009 3:53 am

Hehe well some retri/pvp gear for crit and hit is a must have, else you just get misses over your screen or non crits because of resilence
combatwombat

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes