Remove Advertisements

Target Icons

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Kitria » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:14 pm

I just explain my marking system like this:

"See skull, kill skull."

and macro a /setRaidTarget to mark my target as the skull. Funny enough after the first guy it dps tend to do their own thing and just start killing whatever they tab-target. Even more funny is it rarely seems to matter when they do ^,^
Kitria

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:53 pm

I only use skull, after that is dead i call for AoE.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby guillex » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:03 pm

Invisusira wrote:If it's a pull with multiple mobs, I'll usually mark the first two, "Kill skull then X," and honestly after that they can DPS whatever they want to. You're not gonna get aggro pulled off you, and if they wanna split DPS then you can yell at them after. If you want.

If I'm getting REALLY creative, I'll mark them all and then tell them to "kill them in rainbow order," which also tests peoples' knowledge of rainbows (I have a lot of failures there.... BLUE DOES NOT COME AFTER ORANGE OKAY??)

Red and yellow and pink and green ... purple and orange and blue ... I can sing a rainbow ... sing a rainbow ... sing a rainbow too....
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Zhalseran » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:23 pm

I've not done any tanking in heroics or raids yet, but generally in 5-mans I don't even bother marking. I AoE crap, they kill whatever they want, and it works just fine. I suppose there should be priority targets on some pulls, such as healers, or things that summon adds, etc.

It might be a little adjustment when I get to tanking Karazhan, cause I'm pretty much a stickler for having a tank or CC for every individual target when I lead Kara runs >_>
Zhalseran

Postby Demiblade » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:47 am

What, re-mark skull mid fight? Blasphemy!

Heroics/Raids
moon = sheep
blue = trap
pink = seduce/mc
star = sap/shackle
kill-sequence = skull > x > green > orange

Normal 5 Mans
Mark multiple groups, like 3 groups at a time, as far as your camera can see. Mark only the first target of that group to die.

Tell your cc to sheep "unmarked" casters that can silence/fear. Most good cc classes know which target to cc if you told them which type of mobs you want them to cc, unless you're pugging with 3 newb rogues.

Tell your DPS to kill the "marked one" first all the time. "Kill skull group, x group, then green group!". Mage's counter spell is your friend to make those casters come into AoE. Strap on high threat gear and SoW+JoW to keep yourself going without having to drink.

You should not need to re-mark anything ever. Tell your DPS to L2-kill-sequence.
Demiblade

Postby Gerilith » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:16 am

I'm a skull-fanboy, too. More than one sheep/banish is forbidden even in heroics, so if there is an additional symbol, they know what to do by themselves.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Aowen » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:42 am

For marking targets for kill order, I use a reverse traffic light pattern.

First to last

Skull
X Red
Star Yellow
Triangle/Green thong Green - Go loot

Most cases I just tell people CC one of those targets. Maintains the kill order and forces DPS to actually pay attention to instructions as opposed to just pew pew.

Common exceptions
Square - freeze trap
Moon - shackle
Aowen

Postby Jarenien » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:50 pm

I always mark all the mobs in a pull so that they are killed in order. Splitting up DPS can happen too easily if you don't mark everything.

For mobs where there is no CC, I mark as follows:
Skull
X
Star
Triangle

And they are killed in that order.

If there are CC'd mobs, I mark as follows:
Moon = Sheep
Diamond = Sap
Circle = MC/Banish
Square = Trap

Of the CC'd mobs, the kill order I have is:
Square
Diamond
Moon
Circle

Of course if there are other mobs marked Skull, X, Star or Triangle, they come first and are killed in that order, then we move onto the CC'd targets. So if there are 4 targets, and one gets sheeped, the kill order would be:
Skull
X
Star
Moon

Makes life easier and instance runs fast as shit. I still do AoE tanking with them marked and the casters can AoE to kill em faster, the marking is manly for the not AoE/Melee players so that they are all focusing on the same targets.
Jarenien

Postby cordelia » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Slightly off-topic, but ...

Does anyone have a macro that allows you to switch to a certain Raid ICON during battle?

eg. Skull, X are marked. There's also tons of AE trash.

I want to stack aggro on Skull and X. With tons of AE trash, tab finding between Skull and X is a major pain. Right-clicking is also a pain, as it's hard to click on the actual Skull or X. I would like to be able to click "shift-1" for target skull, and "shift-2" for target X.

Any ideas how?
cordelia

Postby enbee » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:34 pm

When I used to still run 5mans I'd mark star for first dps target, and x or circle for melee go kick this target and lock it if applicable, after that free for all dps, which isn't the most efficient way but it saved me some marking time, and by the time one target drops I'll have a good lead on everything from consecrate holy shield and energy gain threat.
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents