Remove Advertisements

3.1 Talent Spec Guide

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 3.1 Talent Spec Guide

Postby majiben » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:59 pm

MotiVater wrote:When you see the 2nd SS spell pop up, thats when its actually procced. As you have to first take some damage for it to spring into action and be there to mitigate the next attack.

DSac/DG is lovely <3 Im finding (still fairly early in Ulduar) that the OT role on a number of fights is way more fun (and responsible in many ways) and placing myself in that position, giving more opportunities to use this too.

Did you look at the EJ link?
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Ewige » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:40 pm

MotiVater wrote:When you see the 2nd SS spell pop up, thats when its actually procced. As you have to first take some damage for it to spring into action and be there to mitigate the next attack.

I was gonna reply with the same info but I think kywirelessguy was complaining about the actual proc being called the same as the buff (sacred shield proccing sacred shield) and inability to set up any type of proc watch in addons. Mebbeh.
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!
Ewige

Postby MotiVater » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Well the EJ link wasnt directly anything to do with what I said but yes I read it and its great news, shame I dont run with a holy pally at the moment.
And yeah, Ewige, I think you have a point, I totally missed the point that was being made /facepalm
MotiVater
Maintankadonor

Postby kywirelessguy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:09 am

Yeah, I just want it to notify me only when the main buff drops off so I can refresh it. I can't control the shield buff so I don't care to know when its on or off, I just want the main spell to report when its over.

I guess I need a macro or something to start a custom 1 minute timer when I cast SS and report that to somewhere so I don't get the SS fades spam from the shield buff.

See even in chat here I'm having problems distinguishing between the 1 min buff and the 12 sec buff. They need different names.
kywirelessguy

Postby MotiVater » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:22 am

At the risk of me missing the point again....
Get the SS plugin for Tankadin2?
MotiVater
Maintankadonor

Postby kywirelessguy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 am

Thats exactly the info I was hoping someone would provide. Thanks.
kywirelessguy

Postby ck5uperman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 pm

I went with this Spec http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Dentarg&cn=Lionoh&gn=Almost+Epic

So far, I am running 10 man ulduar and I have had no threat problems, excellent survivability, and no complaints from healers. I do notice that I am going much lower on health than before, but I think that is just the progression of the game.

One thing I have noticed is a semi cooldown rotation. I am able to pop my First War, when First war exprires I pop DS and Shield Wall, and allow the raid to get back on track during a tough boss situation, or during low raid health....Unlike other posts, I am doing this as the main tank.

Anyone else using DS this way? As main tank? If my healers are good enough, I can prob do, First War (wait for expiration), DS (wait for expiration), shield wall (wait for expiration), and rotate all 3.......Just an idea.

Comments/suggestion on my spec or game play always welcome!
ck5uperman

Postby Ewige » Fri May 01, 2009 8:11 am

I've gibbed myself with DSac/SWall in 25s before, it felt like shield wall wasn't even active as my health went 100->0 in a few seconds and my healers just couldn't keep up; won't pop it without DShield ever again. Maybe if you can time it well during boss abilities or taunt changes or something but I just don't see it as being a part of MT talent rotation while *tanking* a boss, too much risk for too little benefit.

There are, of course, situation where you are the MT and DSac is hella useful: Mimiron P2 and P3, Thorim after the other tank taunts, XT Tantrum, Razorscale while waiting for the debuff to fade, etc etc etc. It's not a completely useless ability, not by a long shot, I just wouldn't pop it while a boss is wailing on me.

(this is all from my earlier 25s experience when I had DSac/DG)
Ewige

Postby ck5uperman » Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

I am only in 10 Ulduar right now and currently working on Iron Council. I have not had any issues with my healer keeping me up when I DShield with DSacr. I still have not tried DSacr alone.I have only tried this with my main healer, a holy pally, who is just out of this world.I can see this might be NUTS on a 25man, and maybe my talent points would be better served elsewhere.

As a quick thought, I can have my healer pop improved aura mastery or whatever it is called, when DS combo is up.

I would love more feedback on 10 man and 25 man Ulduar. I am still not convinced of Dsacr's utility or lack thereof.
ck5uperman

Postby Ewige » Fri May 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Well, think of it this way, in 10s there are only 9 other people to absorb damage from, in 25s there are 24 other people who could be taking damage. Not to mention bosses hit for 80% of your health sometimes. That's quite a bit more potential burst :^P

I keep wanting to spec back into it, but I really have no reason to with 3 other paladins in the raid with DSac.
Ewige

Postby kywirelessguy » Mon May 04, 2009 5:01 am

I accidently clicked DS last night on the ignis trash with the tornados. My healers kept me up, but my hp bar was like a see saw. Need to move that button away from shield wall.
kywirelessguy

Postby halojones » Sun May 10, 2009 1:32 am

I'm a little confused, with all the data available why is this the most popular spec http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZE0tAbuMGsIufdxb

Ds/Dg just doesnt seem worth it unless it stops raid wipes. Or have paladins been reduced to off tanks.
halojones

Postby Dorvan » Sun May 10, 2009 9:42 am

DS/DG does stop raid wipes (situationally of course): It's awesome against large amounts of raid damage. Last I checked, none of the tanks in my guild are MT'ing 100% of the time.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Mon May 11, 2009 12:59 am

Additionally SS stacks with itself.
majiben

Postby majiben » Mon May 11, 2009 1:12 am

Some of the guide needs to be rewritten slightly.

DivSac is behaving strangely and likely not the way you laid out. Additionally, it is now know that SS stacks with itself and multiples should be kept on a tank.

SotT is not an interupt it is a silence. On trash this may not make a difference but on bosses it sure does.

TbtL is now a minor source of mitigation through SS. Additionally, it is close to the only source of scaling on HoR making that taunt much, much stronger.

GbtL should mention the DP glyph and the mitigation provided.

BoSanc should mention it being a prerequisite for other talents.
majiben

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents