Paly tanking without CC in heroics???

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Paly tanking without CC in heroics???

Postby lckuok » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:08 am

i'm holy now, not prot since i'm arenaing with my best buddy while doing solo mob grinding, but it seems alot of ppl here tank heroics without CCs, i've done only 2 heroics so far when i'm prot (SP and Mech), i have no problem AoE pull in regular instance, but it's the heroics that kills me, i'm not sure if it's the gear or is it the healer but the heals couldn't keep me up with 2 mobs. maybe i'm just a pussy since i tried it once pulling 3 and i died badly -_-!

anyways how do you guys do heroics with 5man gear + 1 or 2 kara drops?
lckuok

Postby Chevalier » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:16 am

It's all about the gear. At a certain point, I found that I could AOE tank these places. It's when I got the Merciless Gladiator Shield that put me over the top.
Chevalier

Postby adese » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:29 am

I know I can AoE tank an instance once I find myself going OOM every pull or so. That means I'm not taking enough damage, so I can handle more.

When starting out, you definitely want CC for Heroics, since your gear isn't that good yet. Once you get some upgrades (either from Kara, Heroics, badges, whatever), you'll be able easily withstand whatever a heroic can throw at you. It's at this point that you can safely start to lose some of the CC and start tanking multiple mobs at one time.
adese

Postby Lansky » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:11 am

Its about the healer and the tank's gear mainly. At this point myself and a holy paladin guildie run through heroics in record times with any 3 dps we can find. Our gear lets me do silly things like get 2-3 groups of mobs depending on the instance and then just like the random dps we brought start AE'ing them down. Its not something you can figure out by looking at your dodge percent or something, you just have to feel it out. Also requires a level of trust between the healer and tank. I know that if I go ahead and do something dumb that he can heal me.

To be fair we massively outgear heroics at this point.
Lansky

Postby Invisusira » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:05 pm

Once you've got a full- or mostly- epic tank set, you can tank heroics without CC.

Give or take.

Of course, there are some that you still should COUGH MANA TOMBS
Invisusira

Postby Blaen99 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Invisusira wrote:Once you've got a full- or mostly- epic tank set, you can tank heroics without CC.

Give or take.

You CC in MT?
Blaen99

Postby Invisusira » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:54 pm

Blaen99 wrote:
Invisusira wrote:Once you've got a full- or mostly- epic tank set, you can tank heroics without CC.

Give or take.

You CC in MT?

Scavengers that randomly de-aggro faster than I can taunt them back...
Immolates that tick for 2k and stack when there's more than one mob spamming them on the whole group...

Yeah. If there's CC in the group, I do. I'm as big a fan of "CC is for warriors!" as every other pally, but I'm not dumb either. ^^
Invisusira

Postby Lieris » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:36 pm

Yeah. You can do MT without CC but it doesn't mean you should. If you want a challenge by all means do it without CC but I don't want to risk repair bills and rather have a more controlled run when it comes to heroics. :) That and I can never remember what half the mobs do as they all look the same.

To answer the OP, you should aim for a high amount of block value and block rating and 12K~ unbuffed health then it should come pretty easily.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby lckuok » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:40 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Tkpaladin

this is my current stats (i left 1 point for 2.3 PoJ)

i am 10.5k unbuffed as i recall

not sure what else should i upgrade here (don't have much time to run kara until january)

i do want improve my gears so i'm wondering what other parts do i need.

i picked up the libram that gives 5% block while HS and the shield that i'm holding now yesterday night

i successfully (with around 8 wipes) tanked heroic mech with a team of arms warrior, resto druid, shadow priest and a hunter, but without much CC (seldom mind control) and it was funny that the warrior suggested that i should just go AoE tank them and it was a very good run, no problems on the bosses, all the wipes were on those tinkers and silly mistakes. i'm starting to understand what you guys mean now. then i went and turned in the badges for the libram (my first badges reward) and spent my money on the shield, right away i went to heroic SP and oh man it was cake (holy paly, ret paly, shadow priest and mage), again not much cc but this time i can tank everything much smoother than when i first did it (usually at the beginning i need the 2 of the 3 mobs cc then i tanked the one remaining), this time i basically again AoE tanked most of the time, it was very fun and i can't believe that heroics really can be done with such method.
lckuok

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:00 am

I've done almost every heroic without any CC already.

Best team was me + 3 feral druids + boomkin (one feral was healing) for SP heroic, i so lold that time. And boomkin make very good offtanks :D

Usually when i'm in a pug party i just say "don't even try to sheep, sap or whatever, i WILL (with caps) break it", mostly because i already outgear any heroic. However, some CC can be helpful in Mana Tombs... i usually spend most of the last packs dispelling immolates...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Vanifae » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:12 am

Fuck Heroic Mana Tombs.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:23 am

I did heroic MT the other day without any CC.

It's possible, of course, but towards the end CCing one mob makes it a hell of a lot easier.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Seanjin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:36 pm

Vanifae wrote:Fuck Heroic Mana Tombs.

word..
http://sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/4402960mGxvO.png
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Redrivar
Good chance I am currently ret.

Tankin yer T6 in my T4- Step your game up!
Thanks Maintankadin!
Seanjin

Postby Arcand » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:01 am

Vanifae wrote:Fuck Heroic Mana Tombs.

Just dust off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Arcand

Postby Vanifae » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:52 am

I did Heroic Mana Tombs with no Sap and Repentance as our only CC, yeah I was Ret, I was having some fun. It can be fone, but you need incredible DPS which thankfully we had.

Protection Warrior, Restoration Druid, Enhancement Shaman, Rogue, and Retribution Paladin.

Nothing stayed alive very long at all.

But again fuck Heroic Mana Tombs.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics