[10] Hodir

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Hodir - Whut in tarrrrrnation?

Postby Ziggi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:59 pm

if threat ends up a problem this would be the first time in wotlk that i've had that problem.... and no my dps isn't terrible.

well not the first time, but the ones prior were due to morons being pvp spec in a pve raid.
Ziggi - Relentless - Shattered Hand
Ziggtastic - 80 Tankadin
Ziggi

Postby inthedrops » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Disclaimer, we haven't tried for achievements so I'm not claiming anything in regard to them.

For a normal turn and burn, a rogue with TotT and hunter with MD on the pull was enough to keep everyone in the raid plenty far from me in threat for the rest of the fight. I've done this on PTR, and on Live I've done once in 25 man and once in 10 man. I have three crafted FrR pieces on. I think some people are saying threat will be a problem FOR SURE. I'm suggesting you try it out the safe way by bringing your three or more pieces of FrR. If it turns out after a couple tries that threat IS a problem then adjust your gear.

The first few times I tanked this on PTR I fully admit threat was a problem. But it was because I was unfamiliar with the size of his hit box, how quickly he moves, how often he stops to cast, how quickly I need to move to keep melee alive, etc. After having done this fight a few times now my threat has improved substantially, as will yours.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong one way or the other because each raid has it's own strengths and weaknesses. I'm simply suggesting you go into it with the possibility of threat being a problem and have a backup plan if it is. Sometimes people's arrogance gets the better of them in these forums. Having a backup plan is smart.

BTW, in FrR gear you can blow wings (twice actually) since you shouldn't need to worry about shield wall due to the hits not exceeding ~20k.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Have the MT wear two pieces of FrR and an aura/totem, and tank both phases. Threat is not an issue, if your DPS are threat capped then they can focus more on breaking frozen NPCs (or get a salv, etc.). Many of our DPS are still skipping -threat talents in their specs and we had no issue using a warrior tank, so a raid that optimizes this (talents + any other class tank :P) shouldn't have issues.

We have the fight broken down pretty simply and find Hodir the easiest fight next to FL:

- 1 tank in 2-3 pieces FrR + aura
- DPS kills every Flash Freeze, no exceptions
- Kite him around the outside of the room Grobbulus-style to minimize melee having to run out
- Ranged use the lights
- Everyone avoid the falling snow
- Don't fail at Flash Freeze

Now, for hard mode the positioning will get more complicated as you want to try and keep him next to the buff-light things so that the melee can get them. But for normal kills there's no reason not to kite him continually to allow melee to ALWAYS be dealing damage unless the flash freeze forces them to run across the room.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Re: [10] Hodir

Postby theothersteve7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:20 pm

I had a warlock pull aggro off me with a 21k+ Conflag crit. First time since I ran heroics. Remember the bonus spell damage on top of the haste buff.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby toulon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:55 pm

I just solo tanked this fight on Sunday on 10-man. No shaman :(

Using the FR Belt/Boots/Ring and FR aura (370 total FR) and being 538 Defense he hit like a little girl and the Frozen Blows wasn't even an issue.

Oh, that was in 10-man. Haven't gotten to him in 25s yet. Hopefully tonight.
toulon

Postby Teneb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Sane general idea. 3 pc resist gear, and the rest normal tanking gear and just chilled on him with pally frost aura up. No real threat issues as the rogue was tricksing me every cd and we salved the warlock every cd.
Teneb

Postby Candiru » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:51 am

If you use your PvP trinket, the 84 resi makes getting def capped pretty easy and you can use it to release yourself from an ice block if you muck up and get knocked away by the falling ice.

WTB a def trinket to drop ><
Candiru

Postby kensanity » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:50 pm

I tanked this in my MT gear, no frost resist but had Frost aura and druid buff, I do remember getting hit pretty hard but nothing that wasn't manageable and there was no chain CD usage... this was before the small patch this past reset. Is there some kind of table that allows you to dodge the FRozen blow or something? I dont understand as this fight was one of the easier fights that i experienced in ulduar.
10 man of course.
kensanity

Postby inthedrops » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:23 am

kensanity wrote:I tanked this in my MT gear, no frost resist but had Frost aura and druid buff, I do remember getting hit pretty hard but nothing that wasn't manageable and there was no chain CD usage... this was before the small patch this past reset. Is there some kind of table that allows you to dodge the FRozen blow or something? I dont understand as this fight was one of the easier fights that i experienced in ulduar.
10 man of course.

It's 31K in 10 man and 40K in 25 man. 10 man is easier to survive with no FrR since most tanks these days have 40k+ HP.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby OSDeath » Fri May 01, 2009 9:41 pm

If you do go into this fight with Frost Resist do you still need the 540 defense?
I believe in the past that bosses that required resist gear did not deal critical strikes (Hydross comes to mind).

-Prot
OSDeath

Postby Seloei » Sat May 02, 2009 12:39 am

They do crit, but previously the elemental crit wasn't something that big of a deal, so you just ignored it and got higher resistance.
For this fight, i roll with 3 pieces + flask and use the 84 resilience trinket instead of the defense trinket from 10man thaddius to hit uncritable. That's in 10 man, on 25man our old feral druid had a full frost res set for sarth ready.

80% of the damage taken in this fight is melee, on 25 man that is very high melee damage and being even 0.04% uncritable is pushing your luck since a melee crit will oneshot you ( think it was 25-30k normal melee swings, and 7k+40k frost? ).

on 10 man, you can survive with just normal tanking gear since he melees for a lot less and the frozen blows combo wont oneshot you like it might on 25man if you get no resists.

Altho, i'm having doubts about how the hell the 40k hits happen because when i was chain jumping around with BoF on me in normal tanking gear on our first try, he hit me just for 6k frost damage or not at all. Tied to the biting cold debuff you have?
Seloei

Postby Amran20 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 am

We were having some trouble with this fight til we decided to do away with having two tanks and just use 1 tankadin with FrR.

I went Ret for the fight and pretty much dedicated myself to breaking people out of the blocks after Flash Freezes, and doing DPS to the boss when that was done. This coincided with our other DPS learning to check the button labeled "Use Projected Textures", and not stand in the circles.

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby Morganim » Sun May 03, 2009 1:21 am

Have any of you guys managed to get the 2 min done yet.

We are able to get him to 18% on our best go so far, but we get screwed by frozen blows if we get one before the first flash freeze. Our priest just runs out of cd's and cant keep the raid up, dont thinka ny other class would even have a hope at solo healing though
Morganim

Postby Garath.Gorefiend » Mon May 04, 2009 7:29 am

Couple of things to mention on this fight.

First off, yes Frost Resist gear helps...

Without FR gear, just aura would see the majority of hits from frozen blows at this level (130 FR):
0:01'18.984 Hodir Frozen Blows hits Garath for 20040 Frost. (6212 Resisted)

With FR gear its more manageable (417 FR):
0:03'36.813 Hodir Frozen Blows hits Garath for 15030 Frost. (12425 Resisted)

You do get some odd variances where you resist more but the majority of frozen blows are like the above.

Someone earlier said he doesn't hit hard. Not quite true, his melee is not trivial but its simply not like most of the other bosses:

Most melee hits are about 13k on a geared plate tank before block is taken into account. Block will lower that as will absorption shields.

One issue I have noticed, but that was only mentioned briefly by one poster is the threat issue.

This can be a tricky fight for threat. Your TPS will not be optimal, as you are moving fairly constantly and sometimes are out of range of the boss due to having to get to the snowdrifts for Flash freeze.

At the same time, once your dps classes learn to maximize the benefits that they can get from all the buffs available (fires, light circle, and crit buffs) they can put out some incredible threat.

One of our mages, the other night somehow managed to pull threat a couple of times by getting a consistant series of large crits on Hodir.

Even use of HoSalv was not enough to lower his threat to reasonable levels.
Garath.Gorefiend

Postby Ziv » Mon May 04, 2009 8:42 am

Spent 2 hours last night attempting hard mode. Most successful attempt was a very close call to stop DPS (seconds off 2 minutes.) FR aura is enough, imo, but I think resist flasking is also useful over other consumables.

As for threat being an issue, FR gear or not, I suggest just taunting and stealing a DPSer's threat. It's quite hard to out TPS casters hitting for 50k+...
Ziv

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon