[10/25] XT-002's Tantrum

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25] XT-002's Tantrum

Postby Tinae » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:22 am

A couple things we found in our learning this boss. First off Divine Hymn is OP. Besides that to help lessen the damage taken by the melee group at least, both myself and our ret pally pooped a bubble/divine sac on one tantrum each. Since the tantrum is channeled you can safely bubble to use divine sac while he is casting, drop bubble at the last second of it and not worry about that rogue that was creeping up on omen becoming a red spot on the ground. Also we tossed around the idea of using hand of protection along with divine sac should work as long as it is physical damage but neither me or the ret pally got around to trying it.
Tinae

Re: [10/25] XT-002's Tantrum

Postby CircuAuchindoun » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 am

I'm having issues tanking this boss, I dont know if I lack avoidance or something maybe? But for the most part I've had my main offtank DeathKnight on the boss. I'm not sure if the healers are just not ready for that amount of tank healing + raid healing or what the deal is. All I know is I was taking a beating...

I have been doing the same thing, Bubble+Sac etc.
CircuAuchindoun

Postby Tinae » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:45 am

I know this has been talked about in other places on here but with the size of hits we are seeing in ulduar I personally have really shifted my standard tanking set more towards avoidance. I am lucky enough to usually have the same tank healers (disc priest/holy pally) and I talk to them A LOT about how much damage I am taking on bosses. Both made comments about being bored on XT after I shifted towards avoidance. I have seen others talking about 25k hits from him but looking at incoming damage on me in the logs from our XT downing I am seeing numbers closer to 20k. Here is my armory for gear http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... on&n=tinae
Tinae

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:46 am

I can't comment on gear, since I've got you in Holy, but it's most likely a problem with your healers.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Serelynn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:47 am

Make sure people use Healthstones on the second tantrum if you get one, the first one probably won't be an issue since everyone will be fresh. Anyone with a heal button helps heal during the tantrum, it helps a lot if elemental/enhancement shamans, paladins, etc. can throw in a couple of quick heals. There are times when someone can more or less be insta-gibbed by unlucky gravity bombing along with tantrum, but a coordination of cooldowns like Guardian Spirit can keep you from losing people. Using Hand of Protection on a healer might not be a bad idea, if it works they wouldn't need to worry about healing themselves and could focus better upon the raid.

As for tank damage, healers need to get used to and accept the fact that in Ulduar you will have bosses hitting you from 15k to 30k damage per swing. Make sure someone is applying Demoralizing Shout or improved Curse of Weakness on the boss and chug Indestructible Potions, one before the pull and one in the middle of the fight.
Serelynn

Postby Tinae » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:58 am

One other thing Body and Soul on gravity bomb or light bomb target is absolutely amazing if you have the ranged stacking up in groups.
Tinae

Postby Loevon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:06 am

CircuAuchindoun wrote:I'm having issues tanking this boss, I dont know if I lack avoidance or something maybe? But for the most part I've had my main offtank DeathKnight on the boss. I'm not sure if the healers are just not ready for that amount of tank healing + raid healing or what the deal is. All I know is I was taking a beating...

I have been doing the same thing, Bubble+Sac etc.

Deconstructor hits hard. Plan on taking 20k-22k blocked hits throughout the fight (and for the rest of ulduar). My guild killed him with myself tanking (paladin) and 1 holy paladin and 1 resto druid healing me, with spot heals from the raid when I was hit with light bomb. Your hp needs to be 40k+ to allow you to take 2 hits combined with the HoTs from the druid. Your Paladin should be bomb healing to keep you and ONLY you topped off. Have raid heals heal the MT healers, don't have them heal them selves. You also need to clear space for your MT healers, especially the holy paladin. He should not have to move at ALL, because if he does, the MT will more than likely die.
Loevon

Postby Tinae » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:11 am

Loevon wrote:Have raid heals heal the MT healers, don't have them heal them selves.

One of the biggest issue I have seen with our raids so far is basically getting healers out of the naxx mentality that they can be sloppy and we still live. After a few wipes they have been noticeably focusing more on their assignments more than playing whack 'a mole with grid healing anything that takes damage.
Tinae

Postby neokai » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 am

Tymphanic Tantrum counts as a physical AOE that deals 20% of your hp in damage every sec over 10s, for a total of 120% of your hp. If you are unlucky, someone is bombed during the tantrum as well.

• BoP and DS negates the damage for 1 person each.
  • Divine Sacrifice will transfer 40% of what everyone is taking to you. Of course, please use DS together with it, or BoP yourself. Bubblewall does not 1/2 the damage, so dun bother.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby Suplicium » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Is it 100% safe to bubble and Divine Sacrifice while main tanking this boss during Tantrum? Won't the boss act bizarely and start moving while casting Tantrum? I ask cos this happened to me the first day of raids. I waited for him to start channeling, I bubbled and pressed Divine Sacrifice, and I'm quite sure he then decided to move, like 2 seconds after I bubbled and smacked some dps.
Suplicium

Postby Dielia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:12 pm

I discovered the other night while tanking XT that it takes a little bit of stress off the healers if, during Tantrum, I toss a couple holy lights on myself and anyone who happens to be in range. He's not swinging at me during this time, which allows me a couple seconds of casting time. I also try to BoP someone as well as bubblewall / divine sacrifice. Most of our wipes on XT were due to us dying of laughter from the crazy voice... :P

Haven't tried hitting divine shield through tantrum yet... If I decide to give that a shot, I'm going to have to make a "/cancelaura Divine Shield" macro to mash, too. :P
Dielia

Postby Passionario » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:32 am

Tinae wrote:First off Divine Hymn is OP.

Quoted for emphasis.

In 10-man, the Hymn might as well say "Your raid members can't die while you're channeling this spell, period".
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby hoho » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:41 am

Passionario wrote:In 10-man, the Hymn might as well say "Your raid members can't die while you're channeling this spell, period".
Disc priest using it with inner focus = up to around 200k healing and 75k shields divided between 12 people. It also has a relatively good cooldown so it can be used at every attempt :)
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Macktruck » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:03 am

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

Bubblewall/BoP + Divine Sacrifice is pro for this fight.
Macktruck

Postby CircuAuchindoun » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:00 pm

Alright, from seeing what a large number of you are saying. It seems that I just have too many druid healers. Also, I think I was in lack of any kind of dedicated heals, paladin priest or other wise. I'll give tanking it another go, perhaps get our pally healer a little more on me, and cross my fingers our disc priest logs on for some progression. How many healers are you guys running roughly for raid make ups?

Also, I'd like to mention that we have been using the 10+ yards spread out on ranged for 25.

Generally we run heavy on resto druids simply because they have the best attendance, my guild is far form lacking in skilled healers its just a matter of who is online and who isn't (wish we where slightly more "hard core" raiders). I have re-gemed for more EH I'm currently sitting around 33k unbuffed. I think I just got a little too used to face rolling Naxx, I've also fixed my spec to be a little more Ulduar boss tanking friendly. Good bye tank DPS, I will miss you so.
CircuAuchindoun

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon