Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Ignis - Limiting scorch areas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25] Ignis - Limiting scorch areas

Postby Tinae » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:37 pm

Haven't seen it said anywhere else but you can limit the number of scorch areas on the ground. If you position him so the scorch is mostly in the water it will disappear after like 1 pulse. Playing with this in 10 man last night it seems that you only need every other one to stay so what we did was I let him drop the first one next to the right pool then moved him over to the left pool letting the next scorch land in the water and disappear. The third scorch I let land right next to the left pool and then shifted him over to the right one (the first scorch spot disappears right before the third hits). We just repeated this until he died.
Tinae

Re: [10/25] Ignis - Limiting scorch areas

Postby Rothes » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 am

Interesting. My guild is progressing on Ignis. I will have to try this. It could help a lot.
Rothes - Protection Paladin - Bloodscalp
"When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you."
--Lao Tzu
Rothes

Postby Chunes » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:20 am

our raid had trouble when we extinguished scorches. So we just opted to leave them all up since they don't really hurt anyone unless they are dumb enough to run into them.
Chunes

Postby Macktruck » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:05 am

Let me clarify this for people. Basically you tank him right next to the water and at first face him away from the water until the 1st Scorch. Then have him face the water. All adds can be put in that scorch. The next scorch will fizzle in the water and turn him facing the other way. Keep moving in that 0, 90, 180 degree pattern. It does limit scorch dmg, and the only way that it causes a problem is if you are slow in rooting or root the mob outside scorch and the scorch dissipates.
Macktruck

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:02 pm

This also seems like a nice thing to do if you're using the "blow him up fast and offtank everything" approach, which may only work for the 10-man, but not having scorches on the ground when you aren't intending to use them sounds nice.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby PsiVen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:49 pm

It works in the 25-man as well, though obviously you'll need to outgear it a bit there as well.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Seloei » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:50 pm

you can burst him down on 25 man, if you had the dps to do kologarn pre-nerf. 8 debuff stacks are one-shot hitting. If you haven't killed him yet by then...
Seloei

Postby Tinae » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:12 am

Here is a video of our downing of him and how I tanked him limiting the scorches.

http://www.wegame.com/watch/FB_Ignis_25/
Tinae

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:23 am

We did a hybrid approach in our 10 last night, and it was really weird. I held adds and a deathknight MTed. We tried a straight burn but we had some alts and low-dps people, so at 6-7ish adds the DK finally fell over. I asked him to leave up the first 2 patches, then go back to pointing him into the water.

The weird part was that once I molten-ed and disposed of the first add, I took the 2nd add and tried to do the same but ran out of scorch time. For some reason one of them got "on fire" or something and they were sort of self sustaining their heat, and gradually built up the stacks on their own. I shattered 1 or 2 more, and then I suddenly had 3 more moltens at once. I got stupid and shattered one of those while I had 5 things on me and died, but he was at 5% at that point and we pulled it out. I wasn't expecting the stacks to keep building without scorch spots though. Was it the flame vents?
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby earanduin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:37 am

Initially I was positioning Ignis such that I could extinguish every third Scorched area. The two OTs had issues with having stacks drop off their targets, so we reverted to laying 4 scorched areas on the ground. Boss .... dead. With the OTs now better acquainted with the encounter, I'm sure the original method of rolling two scorched areas on the ground would also work.
earanduin

Postby Seloei » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:36 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:We did a hybrid approach in our 10 last night, and it was really weird. I held adds and a deathknight MTed. We tried a straight burn but we had some alts and low-dps people, so at 6-7ish adds the DK finally fell over. I asked him to leave up the first 2 patches, then go back to pointing him into the water.

The weird part was that once I molten-ed and disposed of the first add, I took the 2nd add and tried to do the same but ran out of scorch time. For some reason one of them got "on fire" or something and they were sort of self sustaining their heat, and gradually built up the stacks on their own. I shattered 1 or 2 more, and then I suddenly had 3 more moltens at once. I got stupid and shattered one of those while I had 5 things on me and died, but he was at 5% at that point and we pulled it out. I wasn't expecting the stacks to keep building without scorch spots though. Was it the flame vents?

I believe that is a "semi-enrage" for the boss, that if you don't blow up any adds they all become molten and aoe for 5-8k each in effect, one shoting the offtank. It seemed to happen around 20-25% on 10 man. I was nowhere near a scorch all of the fight, maybe at the start when i picked up an add thats all.
Seloei

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon