Remove Advertisements

Our incomplete Mimiron[10] strategy, open to suggestions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Our incomplete Mimiron[10] strategy, open to suggestions

Postby Maat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32 am

We pretty much beat our heads on this guy for 7 hours straight, getting him to phase 4 many times but not progressing through it in a significant manner. My 10-man groups are generally just groups of well-geared friends, so no stacking or anything special. Our dps and healing seemed fine for everything else leading up to this guy.

Our raid comp:
Prot Paladin (myself)
Arms Warrior
Fury Warrior
Ret Paladin (DG spec)
Blood Death Knight (Unholy for the first few hours)
SV Hunter
Arcane Mage
Affliction Warlock
Holy Paladin (DG spec I think, I forget)
Holy Priest

Phase 1:
Kited him backward each Shockblast thing (I don't remember the exact names, lol) so that his hitbox center crosses the newest mine circle. Ranged stayed spread out to minimize fire ball damage. Down it in 2 Plasma things and 2-3 mine circles. Used Divine Protection for the first Plasma ray, and the ret paladin's Bubble+DG for the second.

Phase 2:
Melee just try to stay behind. I call out rockets launching as well as the laser barrage cast.

Phase 3:
I tanked the Heli until the first landing with just Avenger Shield and Exorcism, and run around trying to move him away from the center/strips. After Heli is positioned somewhere nice, I stay near the center taunting and tanking all the junk bots. Ranged DPS focus on kiting/killing the large adds and refrain from dpsing Heli until the first landing. Arms Warrior goes defensive stance and taunts and pops bomb bots somewhere safe, and dpses the frack out of the Heli the first landing in defensive. When Heli goes airborne again, I taunt off him and heli is mine for the rest of P3. DK usually Chains of Ice the large bots before a landing, and I help out with stuns when new ones spawn near me.

Phase 4 is where the big trouble is.
We are assuming that the best place to tank and maintain it is in the center of the room, to minimize the area that Laser Barrage hits. However, his first Laser Barrage always seems to coincide with a Shockblast, and even when I watch specifically for which direction the chest is facing and run away from it, I get hit by Laser Barrage half the time and of course die. Continually running around the chest direction ala Phase 2 is not an option as his hitbox in that phase is RIDICULOUSLY small.

Is there a better way to position him? I understand that all 3 parts must be killed within 10 seconds to beat the boss, but a destroyed part only regens to 25%. If the base is destroyed, does the boss continue to move or stay stationary so we could attempt to circle around him like Phase 2?

Just kind of tired of this Vashj v.2 and there doesn't seem to be much brainstorming around >_<
Maat

Re: Our incomplete Mimiron[10] strategy, open to suggestions

Postby Seloei » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 am

you have a holy priest, ask him to cast Guardian Spirit on you on the first laser barrage + shockblasts, melee runs out and ranged dodge where he is facing the barrage and you go behind the place where he is pointing it. Just stay in and tank it for the first one. Next ones you can just dodge by running out like in p1 and ranged dodge the beam like in p2. The rockets however are a killer to see since his body is always on you. I found it best to just run around in a small cirlce all fight long and had the melee dps stand still ( well not run a full circle, just as soon as a rocket went up i moved ~5-8 feet around him )
Seloei

Postby Maat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:55 am

Is that the only real option though? The holy priest is not always available; we actually did the first 4 or so hours of attempts with a resto druid. The one time we actually made it past the first barrage/shockblast, the 3rd shockblast was actually back to back with the barrage/mines.

It's just crazy messy and there's got to be a way (at least on 10-man!) to handle it than to rely on one class's cooldown to save the tank's ass, since nothing else is strong enough.
Maat

Postby Petrus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:47 am

On P4, we just bubbled the first shockwave/barrage combo such that we tanks had enough time to get behind the chest section and not get slaughtered. Always ended up that someone got killed, though, and one time Guardian Spirit didn't save the tank - he took two killing blows fast enough that it procced only once and didn't catch the second one and died.

In P3, we just use a warlock tank on the air phase while our other tank gets bots and I kill bombs - usually a stun and/or ShoR hit with HotR hit will stick it to me and if not I taunt and run away with it until it explodes.

This fight is really annoying so far, though. Requires so much perfection from everyone. Very fun but very annoying that it seems like it's several magnitudes harder than the rest of the instance so far (we only have Mimiron/Vezax/Yogg left).
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Lisson » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:54 am

bubble wall + pain supress the first shock in p4 (if the chest is staring at you, rotate right to avoid it but dont move the boss)

in 10 man, u can tank the big mobs in p3, they hit like pansy's (not in 25, have to kite)
Lisson

Postby Akadia » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:01 am

downed him Saturday evening.

Lineup was:
1 Prot Pala (me)
1 Prot Warrior
2 Fury Warrior
1 Retri Pala
1 Disci Priest
1 Holy Priest
1 Resto Druid
1 Moonkin Druid
1 Arcan Mage

our tactic was:

P1:
pull him to the wall und position to run out clockwise
1st Plasma -> glyphed hand of salvation on myself
2nd Plasma -> bubble wall
tankchange -> warrior taunting
3rd Plasma -> shieldwall
4th Plasma -> last stand

If needed do another tankchange und start with hand of salvation or bubble wall for Plasma again. If available an DG Paladin or a GS from a Holy Priest will also help.

P2:
range dps und heal spread out, melee dps
anounce rocket starts and melee spread out, rocket target in melee range is hard to see
laser barrage -> run behind him

P3:
I tanked the air phase with AS, Exo and Judgement. in Addition i taunted the Bomb Bots und let them explode on me.
Prot Warri tanked all the adds, kill the big ones, ae the little ones at the end of P3. Bomb bots are dropped below the air unit, so it's easy to pick them up. All DPS on the air unit while it's grounded.

P4:
We decided to position like P1. Tanking it near to the Wall and move out clockwise. This time we lift some space between the boss and the wall to move out for laser barrage. Rockets must be announced and everyone needs to react quickly. Range and Heal need to be a bit closer to the boss to run out auf laster barrage if castet towards the middel of the room.
Split the DPS on all 3 Parts and down them together within 10 seconds.
Akadia

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:13 am

Bubble the first combined Shockwave and spin.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Maat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. Guess... just bubbling to survive the first combo blast sounds like the way to go just to figure out the mechanics of that bullcrap, lame as it is :P

Tanking the assault bots didn't really seem to be an option with 2-heal, they still hit me for 22-25k, and we figured we may as well learn it how we'll (eventually) execute the fight in heroic.
Maat

Postby PsiVen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Our strategy thus far (killed in 10-man, haven't got p4 in 25 down yet):

Group Comp (10)
2 tanks
3 healers
5 dps (ideally 1 melee, 4 ranged)

Group Comp (25)
2 tanks
7 healers
16 dps (ideally 5-6 melee)

Phase 1:

Plasma 1: Tank CD
Shock Blast 1: GS
Plasma 2: Tank CD #2 + light Healer CD
Shock Blast 2: Run out (or 2nd GS if one is available)
Plasma 3: Best Healer CD or tank switch
Shock Blast 3: Run out (in most cases your DPS should be fast enough to skip this one)
Plasma 4: Tank switch to CD or find another option, you shouldn't take this long

Last Stand is dicey, only use % damage reductions as cooldowns unless you can combine LS with something else. Blessing of Sacrifice, Divine Sacrifice, HoS glyph, any class' shieldwall all should be enough on their own. Not sure what AMS does to it but that should be good as well. AMZ is not good enough.

Phase 2:

Split the ranged up into 3 groups, position healers on the ground spots and have the DPS with them fan out radially. Ideally you want people standing NEXT to each other, not in front of / behind.

All of the melee continually get behind him, watching carefully for rocket strikes. This is important to minimize the chance that he will focus fire on the same area for too long. For 25-man, one healer should be dedicated to healing whoever is getting pummeled continuously like this.

You may need to use Heroism/Bloodlust to get through this phase safely, at least for learning in 25-man.

Phase 3:

1 tank stands under the boss (usually he's in the middle of the room) and eats the bomb bots. Nobody goes through the middle of the room.

1 tank runs around collecting all the junk bots. A prot paladin with Imp HoJ works well for this, I can get every junk bot and block most of their damage while stunning almost every assault bot as it comes up. Nobody DPS the junk bots until the phase transition cleanup.

Ranged tank on the boss, stand away from the spawning spots. Red lights are Assault Bots, dedicated ranged dps to killing and kiting them. Keep them snared at all times, and root/stun new ones as they come out to give ranged time to get aggro.

Melee should never go in to attack assault bots until the ranged have firm aggro.

Dedicate one person to collect cores from the assault bots, and drop enough in a row to keep him nailed to the ground continually until he dies. For us this was 3 cores at once in 10-man, I don't remember if it works out the same for 25. If you do this right, he will completely stop spawning any robots while you kill him and you can easily clean up what's left.

Phase 4:

GS the first Shock+Barrage combo. As far as I can tell this and bubble are the only ways to deal with this reliably. Honestly, I expect a hotfix will stop his abilities from lining up like that.

Melee avoid rocket strikes, keep an eye on where the opening is in the mines to run out for Shock Blast. Also get away from Barrage when it comes up.

Note that melee can attack the bottom and middle segments, while ranged can attack all 3. They all must die at around the same time or they will heal up back to 50% (where they started the phase).

Save your heroism for this phase if you can get through p2 with no deaths without it.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Alanyor » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Shock Barrage combo is removed. Pugged him with my alt today, 4 minutes before server down (Europe). Now it "only" depends on movement. :)
Alanyor <Bloodhound Gang> - EU-Nera'thor - http://www.alanyor.blogspot.com
Originator of 10 Paladin Karazhan, 10 Paladin Zul'Aman and 8 Paladin Naxxramas
Alanyor

Postby Saladin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:15 am

Killed him on both 10 and 25 before the hotfixes - but extremely aggravating to do it.

anyone know if they fixed the bug where if the center dies while doing barrage - it doesnt actually die ?

to avoid this happening we brought all to about 2% then nuked center first.
Saladin

Postby judge » Wed May 20, 2009 2:42 am

Was trying this encounter last night, had very few problems in P2 at all but I did notice one thing.

If during his 'Spinning Up' you throw a baby spice he won't barrage at all, this way well be the same in P4 too. Somewhat trivialising the movement factor. Wasn't able to test it though as our group wasn't our full raid group and we never made it through P3.

Yes you may be wondering why the hell I was throwing baby spice in P2, my camera angle got messed up after I was combat ressed (died to a shock blast while being well out of range, as far as I could tell anyway) and couldn't see the floor unless he was spiced.
judge

Postby Jasari » Wed May 20, 2009 4:30 am

The babyspice to cancel barrage feels very much like an exploit and not a solution
Jasari

Postby Panzerdin » Wed May 20, 2009 4:33 am

Blizzard put it there and made it do that, it's only reasonable to assume they expect you to use it in that manner.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby judge » Wed May 20, 2009 4:43 am

Jasari wrote:The babyspice to cancel barrage feels very much like an exploit and not a solution

Yes it is an exploit, but in the current state of P4 from what I've read (having to use spice on the base to avoid missile strikes) it's a solution to a problem which blizzard are fully aware of yet have failed to fix.

Go go creative use of game mechanics.
judge

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon