Question about dual spec that just "occured" to me

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Question about dual spec that just "occured" to me

Postby lusisia » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:52 am

I've been reading up on dual spec. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to it, however something occurred to me on the way to the office that kind of annoys me.

My plan right now is to do Holy/Prot as my dual-specs. However I spend a shitload of time as Ret doing PvP when my time is limited. I don't mind paying for that respec cost. I have the addons to make it painless but will respec'ing ret when I want to going to overwrite my primary spec? Does that make sense the way I'm wording it? I don't want to lose my saved prot and holy specs just because I swap to Ret for a week. I want to manually swap to Ret and then when raid time comes, hot-switch to either prot or holy based on need. The way I'm reading it is that any manual respec will automatically overwrite my "primary" spec.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Re: Question about dual spec that just "occured" to me

Postby Riviella » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:18 am

With the way dual-spec works you basically get two separate talent trees, only one of which can be active at any one time.

Respecing will reset the currently active tree/glyph set to base (empty)

So no, you won't be able to do what you were describing. Doesn't work that way.
Riviella

Postby lusisia » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:40 am

Riviella wrote:With the way dual-spec works you basically get two separate talent trees, only one of which can be active at any one time.

Yeah I figured. That really blows because it means dual-spec really does fuckall for me.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:52 am

lusisia wrote:
Riviella wrote:With the way dual-spec works you basically get two separate talent trees, only one of which can be active at any one time.

Yeah I figured. That really blows because it means dual-spec really does fuckall for me.

WTB Tri-Spec?
Jasari

Postby guillex » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:52 am

Level another pally ... Yaknow.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby lusisia » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:16 am

Jasari wrote:
lusisia wrote:

WTB Tri-Spec?

Not so much tri-spec but I would prefer that I have my two talents and be able to spend normal respeccing/glyphing fees to take a third one without upsetting that 2 spec tree. I don't mind spending the money but as it stands with dual spec, it's really just a way for me to preserve my main spec glyphs.
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby lusisia » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:17 am

Guillex wrote:Level another pally ... Yaknow.

If I were to level another toon, it wouldn't be a pally. I can't wrap my head around having multiple 80s of the same class. Maybe in a different faction or another server but not as an alt to my main.
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Nalyn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:15 am

lusisia wrote:

Ya, you're in a similar situation to me, I have my prot spec, my PvE ret spec, and my PvP ret spec, and we only get two specs. However, there was a blue post a while back, that said something to the effect that if dual spec goes in, and works well, is successful, etc, that they could expand it to a larger number of concurrent specs.
Nalyn

Postby Dorvan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 am

Nalyn wrote:Ya, you're in a similar situation to me, I have my prot spec, my PvE ret spec, and my PvP ret spec, and we only get two specs. However, there was a blue post a while back, that said something to the effect that if dual spec goes in, and works well, is successful, etc, that they could expand it to a larger number of concurrent specs.

Well, it shouldn't be too difficult to have a combined PvE/PvP Ret spec in 3.1....after taking all possible PvE DPs talents you've still got 12 more points to play around with.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Bunni » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:19 am

If you download the Talented addon you can save talent setups and so long as you don't mind the cost of respeccing it makes it trivial to just switch to a saved spec that you created in advance.
Keeping the gaming world safe for old folks. www.theoldergamers.com
Bunni

Postby Jerey-Darkspear » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:37 am

If all you're worried about is losing your main spec glyphs, then switch to your off spec before doing the respec. Then you can switch back to main spec for raid time if you need to.
Jerey-Darkspear

Postby Madylyn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:39 am

Hey Lusi,

No solution to your problem. You'll be overwriting one of your specs and then need to destroy the glyphs.

But I gotta say, I've never liked pvp...having got a bad taste in my mouth from trying to pvp as prot back in tbc. However, PvP as prot is now smexie. The combination of silence and daze on Avenger's Shield is wicked, and then combine that with 20 sec Hammers. :twisted:

I emerged from VoA last week into the middle of a WG battle right on the doorsteps. Not even really thinking, I launched an AS into a group that was standing together casting. I actually LOLed as they all stopped casting together and started *walking* away. :lol: Mana not a problem either with perma plea.

Anyway, you might give it a try. Otherwise, you're going to be in the same situation as pre-3.1 (with the slight benefit that you can replace your glyphs anywhere).
Madylyn

Postby Eleveneleven » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:06 pm

Madylyn wrote:
I emerged from VoA last week into the middle of a WG battle right on the doorsteps. Not even really thinking, I launched an AS into a group that was standing together casting. I actually LOLed as they all stopped casting together and started *walking* away. :lol: Mana not a problem either with perma plea.

I never really found it to be perma in BGs. It only procs off of white damage swings so after clearing out what was hopefully a group of opponents, you've definitely spent more mana than you gained. We have to drink a lot less now, but I still find myself using SoW/JoW unless I'm just working on one or two people before another drinking period. I suppose if I'm willing to drop the fairly expensive cost of reglyphing and respeccing (I am dual PvE Ret and PvE prot), then I could reduce the costs enough to swap to a damage seal.
Eleveneleven

Postby majiben » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:13 am

It procs off of all melee attacks including judgement and HotR
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Argali » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:42 am

Pretty sure judgement doesn't refresh divine plea.
Argali

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents