Remove Advertisements

The Old content, did I miss the memo?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

The Old content, did I miss the memo?

Postby Arman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:45 pm

This is basicly a question to the people who follow the patch notes a bit more closely then me.
Did they reduce the damage and/or hitpoints of the mobs in the old instances, by old I mean the leveling instances you run before the hillarity of outland?

A bit of background:
Me and some friend rerolled a while back. New server, new chars, starting from scratch. After a while they lost interrest and we forgot all about them, but recently we startet them up again.
We decided that we wantet to get back into what we originally loved about wow, the teamwork and the challenge of clearing instances with a group of friends while laughing it up on skype. So far its been great fun, we are leveling exclusivly in instances so that we cant get to removed from each other in levels and have even picked up complementary trade skills (I do the enchanting).
We have all played wow from the inception of the game, early beta and so forth and have all raided MC, BT and all those other hilarious places (the memories of one butten cleanse and blessing still haunt me). This little rant is to illustrate my point when I say that we all know what we are doing.
My problem is that I think its a bit to easy... Ofc it help that we are on skype, it helps that we have an experienced tank, it help that the new talents probably boosts our damage to much higher levels then where possible back when the game first came out but still...

We play a ret paladin (tank) 41, an enhancement shaman 38, a hunter 38 and a balance druid (healer), we will be joined soon by another friend who is leveling a mage, since we figured we needed the sheep loving little bastard for some cc :lol: .
So far there has been only one wipe, caused by the hunter who forgot to put his pet on a leash and let it run after a runner in SM armory, only to pull 3 more groups, we got beaten into very amused little pieces on the floor.

we are still in the early levels (Uldaman) so its probably just me, and if thats the case, sorry to have wastet your time.
Arman

Re: The Old content, did I miss the memo?

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:03 pm

Yes this did happen, but not universally.

5mans & 5man heroics wernt changed.
Bosses in Kara, ZA, Gruuls, Mags thru to sunwell were hp nerfed by about a 1/5 to a 1/4.
This occured a month or so before LK? I cant rightly remember.
I do remember people zerging thru the old content pre LK however.
Nerfed bosses PLUS boosted stats/abilities = easy win.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Arman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Yeah, I remember that, we went to BT right after, was a complete zergfest. I just couldnt remember if something similer had been done to the old instances and I had just missed it in some old patchnotes
Arman

Postby culhag » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:29 am

Only BC raid content was nerfed. (that I know of)
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Specifically, every BC raid except Hyjal. For whatever reason they didn't touch Hyjal Summit.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby majiben » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:06 pm

The prevailing rumor was because it was located in the old world it was left out as an oversight. Of course they did get kara but then again that was on a different continent. Besides the hardest part of hyjal was doing the trash after a wipe. With the new talents and instant cast, stunning Holy Wrath that was a huge nerf :-P
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Jessic » Fri May 29, 2009 7:49 am

Yeah, they lowered the level of many of the classic instance bosses and quests, but that was a while back.

I'm experienceing the same level of ease. I only have a 4-person team, but we're running through Scarlet Monastary like it was cake-walk. In my group we have my protection-paladin (33), balance-druid (33), arcane-mage (34), and a discipline-priest (31). The mobs in the armory are orange difficulty, level 36-37, but they're no match for us. We cleared the armory twice so far, without a single death in the party.

I'm tempted to try to run through the Cathedral wing now too, but with red-difficulty mobs we will probably miss too much, and crushing-blow will probably kill us.

So where's the sweet spot, where it's challenging, but not suicidal?

Then again, maybe we're just that awesome. We do have best-for-our-level gear from running all of the other instances multiple times to get all the drops we wanted. Or, we get gear upgrades from our high-level alts. All of that gear is then enchanted, again thanks to high-level alts. We have potions and buffs on top of that... and our team has a lot of synergy, where nothing is wasted.
Jessic

Postby grog189 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:35 pm

I think you guys are answering yourselves. You have better than average gear for that level? and it's enchanted? and food buffs? Plus experienced players and professions that help eachother. Really how much of this did you have when you first started or even the 2nd or 3rd time going through? Not including all the item and talent change's since then.
"Azuriel" 80 Paladin (Icecrown)
"Aazoth" 80 Rogue (Icecrown)
"Tyrealzfist" 70 Warrior (Icecrown)
"Laserbird" 71 Druid (Icecrown)
grog189

Postby olih27 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:40 am

Yep i've come across this also, admittedly found a good group, ( i have Boa shoulders, weapon, warrior and healer had the same) we went to SM library at 30, cleared that then went to arms, healer complained he was bored as he didnt have to heal at all (actual words were "pull more i'm healing with bandages atm") Then tried cath by which time we were 32 but still had no problem ( healer had to start healing)

Is a bit of shame due to the lack of a challenge but great for running instances where you get good exp (as opposed to boosting), then decided at level 40 to solo cathedral which i did successfully
olih27

Postby Neara » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Arman wrote:t help that the new talents probably boosts our damage to much higher levels then where possible back when the game first came out but still...

this, without a but still

I don't know what were good dps-numbers back in the time given that i was a total noob, but my first char was a warlock and with 60 in T0 i reached ~140 DPS in 5's.
My Kitty-druid-alt did this with ~30-40 ... No nerf of content needed if one Char now can do the DPS of the whole group back than.
Neara

Postby fafhrd » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:28 am

4-600 was decent for raids IIRC - obviously it varied wildly from class to class back then. Fury warriors reaching 1k on Patchwerk was amazing.

edit: random patchwerk meter

ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Gimorth » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:19 am

I believe (and I could be wrong) that when they went back and re-itemized some of the old dungeons (new epic ring in SM, etc) they also re-tuned them to be more approachable. When you add all of the new talents you have available, it's not a surprise that the game seems easier.

ALSO- things like crit and hit rating scale SOOO much better at these low levels than they did when you did it the first time. Stuff that used to have +1% crit back in the day now has significantly more than that because they made sure that all stuff had the same effect at 60 when they rolled out ratings
Gimorth

Postby Braundo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:38 pm

fafhrd wrote:4-600 was decent for raids IIRC - obviously it varied wildly from class to class back then. Fury warriors reaching 1k on Patchwerk was amazing.

Oh, the days of being proud of 1k fireball crits.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Auroris » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:35 am

Braundo wrote:
fafhrd wrote:4-600 was decent for raids IIRC - obviously it varied wildly from class to class back then. Fury warriors reaching 1k on Patchwerk was amazing.

;e 1400 Bloodthirsts
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby phaqueue » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:46 am

Exolaeth wrote:
Braundo wrote:

;e 1400 Bloodthirsts

350 MP5 while casting on patch :)

full disc priest go go
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics