[10man] New VoA boss, 1 tank

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10man] New VoA boss, 1 tank

Postby Rokh » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:33 am

Just ran this today with me being the only tank, and a holy pally and holy priest healing.

Went really well, had no problems with health (priest just alt-CoH every cooldown to top off the raid)
We also had a ret pally, so Divine storm heals on the raid helped too. No one really lost any hp.

And dps switching was super easy since they were all right there anyways.
Rokh

Re: [10man] New VoA boss, 1 tank

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:40 am

Objectively this boss is much simpler in 10 men than in 25... the place is too small to spread out properly.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Candiru » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:45 am

Does a lightning nova during an add-grow not cause problems?
Candiru

Postby Mert » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 am

Tried this last night but unfortunately got cut short of finishing it by a combination of crazy bugs (anyone had the falling forever thing yet?), res sickness as a result of said bugs and the obvious Wintergrasp-based time limit.

We had two tanks - a Frost DK on the boss and myself on the four adds. Although we didn't actually quite down him our strategy was that I would run in first and Avenger's Shield one of the adds. Wait, Consecrate, Hammer and then begin to kite back to the stairs while the DK taunted the boss from me and took him to the back of the room.

We marked each of the four adds and during the bit where he enrages one, I would call out the mark for the mob in question over Vent and they would nuke it down. Or fail to, as the case actually was most times.

Was there something we could have done differently? Tanks and healers had little problem and the melee were generally okay at running out of the nova, save for the last few attempts where I guess people were starting to get tired. I've heard that if you just continually nuke down the adds then he never actually enrages one, but that didn't seem to be the case when we were there. But overall was our strategy okay and just a case of the DPS being a bit slow to react or is there a way to make it easier on those guys?

Our 10-man was made up of two tanks, two healers, two melee and four ranged. My initial thought was the melee having to run too far to get there in time, but looking on Recount they did the highest amount of DPS on the mob, as well as having the highest proportion of their overall DPS being on the mob, so I guess either the ranged weren't switching in time or were for some reason unable to switch quickly. Could us two tanks have made it somehow easier for the DPS to switch? We considered having them in opposite sides of the same room as close as was possible while still avoiding the AoE stuff, but as I said before we ran out of time.
Mert

Postby Jasari » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:54 am

If you don't have enough DPS to kill the adds before they blow up, you can't do the encounter.

Little tricks, like having the two tanks be a little bit closer together to cut down on run time, etc can help a bit, but the truth of the matter is that if DPS are fast at switching to the adds and you still can't get them down, then you need to get better DPS.
Jasari

Postby Muffswindler » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:44 am

When I attempted this I made sure to have just 1 melee. Many dps are idiots and dont understand spacing so just having one made it easier to avoid the CL. Our only downfall was a bad OT, i was MTing and even tried tanking the boss and the adds on our attempts. The only issue I saw was, was being sure the dps quickly targeted the correct mob. Does anyone know if DBM or Big Wiggs mods have made a instant mark on the mob that is overloading? Something similar to the Skulls that appeared over peoples heads on KT when they were ice trapped.
Muffswindler

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Do you really need to mark a mob that after a couple of seconds will be 2 times bigger than the other ones?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Caelia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:05 pm

One strategy in the 25 man version might be to have 5 people dedicated to dpsing adds down to a certain %, with rest on the boss. Like get each at to 60% or something, then go to the boss, then when add is going to pop u only got 60% instead of 100% to dps down.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Caelia wrote:One strategy in the 25 man version might be to have 5 people dedicated to dpsing adds down to a certain %, with rest on the boss. Like get each at to 60% or something, then go to the boss, then when add is going to pop u only got 60% instead of 100% to dps down.

Would be useless: the add get healed to 100% when he overcharges it.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Caelia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Worldie wrote:
Caelia wrote:One strategy in the 25 man version might be to have 5 people dedicated to dpsing adds down to a certain %, with rest on the boss. Like get each at to 60% or something, then go to the boss, then when add is going to pop u only got 60% instead of 100% to dps down.

Damn, i just LOL PoH/CoH so i dont pay attention to the adds.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Dracora » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:57 am

Worldie wrote:

Worldie you seem to have a lot of knowledge on the VoA fight, so for the adds what would be the most appropriate way to tank them?
"Those who are strong have to be right."
~ Wufei Chang
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spinebreaker&n=Dracora
Dracora

Postby Whait » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 am

we had the adds off to the bottem left corner and the boss on top right, when an add overcharged all range dps swaped over and nuked him down then back to boss.. rinse and repeat and win. the add that gets over charge will get really big and start getting the buff ( same graphic as primal might ) when it gets to ten is a wipe we went 2 heals (druid,shammy 2 tanks druid and pally the rest dps) if you have too much melee dps it gets difficult to get him down with thsi strat due to the fact that the buff stacks rather quickly and havinf melee run over is time consuming
Whait

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Dracora wrote:
Worldie wrote:

Worldie you seem to have a lot of knowledge on the VoA fight, so for the adds what would be the most appropriate way to tank them?

Meh i've just done it twice (once per char). It's nothing *that* hard honestly, just requires brain which the average pug lacks.

If you are 2 tanks, you can either tank them away from the boss-tank (so you don't have to eat the nova), or if you are melee heavy, you can tank them on top of the boss tank so the melees don't have to move. The first one is generally fine for a average raid-

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Winterhavok02 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:15 pm

On 10 and 25man VoA I would tank the 4 adds on the left (NE corner) of the room and the warrior would tank the boss on the NW corner giving just enough room for the melee to run out of the lightning nova. All you really need to do is have someone with DBM call out an early call for melee to go to your corner, wait for charge mark the one with full health/debuff and nuke him then rinse and repeat.
Winterhavok02

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon