Remove Advertisements

Target Icons

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Target Icons

Postby DamnLag » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:01 am

new member, first post. =)

I have played nothing but healers for almost 3 years. I decided it's time to branch out and try some fun stuff.

As I get closer to end game and actual tanking I have a question about marking targets.

I understand marking first target, and a second target.. Now if I have pulled lets say 4-5 mobs on me. After the first 2 targets are down.. what then? do I skull my 3rd target? Or is aggro enough at that point that everyone can do whatever they please? Or just hope everyone at this point in the game knows what /assist is? =)

Apologies if this has been asked before. Just trying to figure some things out before they come up.
Batteries not included.
DamnLag

Postby Soulbreaker » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:13 am

Once you get crit immune (485 Def) stack stam and +spell then you can mark like I do.

Tell your group "Skull dies first, then AoE".

I only ever use the "skull" icon in normal 5 mans.

I pull out the other icons when I do Heroics and need a little CC. (not often).

Westfall makes my ass itch.
Soulbreaker

Postby Dorvan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:22 am

One note: I highly recommend setting up a key binding for at least the "skull" icon (I have bindings for most of them myself). For one thing, it makes marking targets much less tedious, and if you want your dps to focus on a particular target mid-battle is allows you to easily do so without right-clicking, messing with a menu, etc. while you're in combat.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:48 am

Dorvan wrote:One note: I highly recommend setting up a key binding for at least the "skull" icon (I have bindings for most of them myself). For one thing, it makes marking targets much less tedious, and if you want your dps to focus on a particular target mid-battle is allows you to easily do so without right-clicking, messing with a menu, etc. while you're in combat.

Not to mention you can have some real fun with the DPS by remarking mid battle. Make it like a big game or roulette.

:twisted:
jere

Postby Kombo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:53 am

I use 2 macros, first is

skull is kill, sheep is moon, ice trap is square, fear kite is diamond. DO NOT CC UNLESS IT IS MARKED WITH YOUR ICON

then i use this one
/script SetRaidTarget("target",8 );
/cast Judgement
/stopcasting
/cast Seal of Wisdom

and then i procceed to tank the instance while only using skull... seems to work well sofar :)
Kombo

Postby Invisusira » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:54 pm

If it's a pull with multiple mobs, I'll usually mark the first two, "Kill skull then X," and honestly after that they can DPS whatever they want to. You're not gonna get aggro pulled off you, and if they wanna split DPS then you can yell at them after. If you want.

If I'm getting REALLY creative, I'll mark them all and then tell them to "kill them in rainbow order," which also tests peoples' knowledge of rainbows (I have a lot of failures there.... BLUE DOES NOT COME AFTER ORANGE OKAY??)
Invisusira

Postby Kombo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:03 pm

Invisusira wrote:If it's a pull with multiple mobs, I'll usually mark the first two, "Kill skull then X," and honestly after that they can DPS whatever they want to. You're not gonna get aggro pulled off you, and if they wanna split DPS then you can yell at them after. If you want.

If I'm getting REALLY creative, I'll mark them all and then tell them to "kill them in rainbow order," which also tests peoples' knowledge of rainbows (I have a lot of failures there.... BLUE DOES NOT COME AFTER ORANGE OKAY??)

lol thats more effort then im willing to put into marking most of the time, but im sure ill have to try it... knowing the people i normally run with, thell just start AoEing after X :P
Kombo

Postby tbolt » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:38 pm

LOL rainbow order I will definitely have to try that.
tbolt

Postby Pizbit » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:14 pm

Kill Skull, Kill X, kill I don't give a toss which, just kill! :D

Moon = sheep
Square = trap
Circle = banish
Star = sap

Drives me friggin INSANE when I run with the one guild on my server that uses star for first kill, circle for second and skull for sap!@^&$@!*&^$&@^$

Leveling in the lowbie pugs before I got all my skills and spell damage gear I'd rotate which had a skull above it's head, good fun.
Also makes dps go a little wtfey if you get adds and remove skull from your target and put it on an add!
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby xyzor » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:00 am

For boss fights with adds, etc, it is often essential that things die in the correct order. Even for pulls with multiple trash elites, we mark Skull, X, Star, Square, Coin as DPS order (others we use for cc marks). I find that things go MUCH smoother when you are organized and when your DPS focuses its fire.
xyzor

Postby Suikano » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks for posting the macro for marking a target without using the menu, I didn't even know that was in game, thanks much!
Suikano

Postby Dorvan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:57 am

Suikano wrote:Thanks for posting the macro for marking a target without using the menu, I didn't even know that was in game, thanks much!

There's no need for a mcro to do this, just go to "key bindings" in the main menu and scroll down....you'll see the raid target icons somewhere in there
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Zolexa » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:31 pm

I like the addon Lucky Charms for marking. Now I actually do it instead of making my mage duo partner.

Usually kill order is Skull, X, Circle. If I can pre-target and need other things CC'd. Star is sheep, Blue box is frost trap, Green triangle is banish, Moon is shackle.

Otherwise its "just follow skull", or if it's a matter where something absolutely must die 2nd, Skull, X, and with mod it's easiest enough to update X to Skull.
Zolexa

Postby Caelia » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:29 pm

i like to confuse my guild in kara and change the first and 2nd kill marker every time we run :P
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby reyia » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:15 am

but seriously, i have 2 easy access keys, 1 for skull and one for moon.

Moon is the basic cc target, with whatever cc makes the most sense, and skull is the kill target. I remark skull when things drop low, so people know where the next kill is before the first skull is down.

i usually don't bust out more icons than 2, so i have the rest of the icons in priority order on my numpad.

1 skull
2 X
3 Star

456 are all CC targets.
reyia

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents