Remove Advertisements

3.3 Frequently *Answered* Questions - Tankadin basics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 3.1 Frequently *Answered* Questions - Tankadin basics

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:46 am

I've changed my mind. I think we should be speccing http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sxVzgZEGz0rkxGsudfbc
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby majiben » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:58 am

Nay! We should be speccing thisprot healing build!
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 am

http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sxAdgGrsiuItgdb is the only REAL prot healing build!
Panzerdin

Postby theckhd » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Knaughty wrote:A: Theck's MATLAB Thread WARNING! MASSIVE NERDERY!

Hey now....

Actually, that's a pretty good description of it. When do we get custom user titles back, I need to change mine from "Theorydin" to "Mathlete."
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:29 pm

I can't remember the last time this forum had custom user titles.
Panzerdin

Postby theckhd » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 am

Panzerdin wrote:I can't remember the last time this forum had custom user titles.

Hm... maybe I was thinking of tankspot then.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Janduin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:40 am

theckhd wrote:
Knaughty wrote:A: Theck's MATLAB Thread WARNING! MASSIVE NERDERY!

Hey now....

Actually, that's a pretty good description of it. When do we get custom user titles back, I need to change mine from "Theorydin" to "Mathlete."

In time honored nerd tradition...I humbly submit that, assuming k is a wavenumber, which would be the usual assumption, the argument in the exponential in your avatar is not dimensionless!
Janduin

Postby Playdoh » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:33 am

Has any thought gone into what spec holy/prot/ret should be judging now, if there is one of each in the raid?

Prot - justice
Ret - light
Holy - wisdom

I know there are alot of if's in this scenario, but trying to come up with a simplistic rule.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:47 am

Playdoh wrote:Has any thought gone into what spec holy/prot/ret should be judging now, if there is one of each in the raid?

Prot - justice
Ret - light
Holy - wisdom

I know there are alot of if's in this scenario, but trying to come up with a simplistic rule.

I know there's be some talk that JotJ isn't getting overwritten anymore - if you judge wisdom and then someone else judges wisdom there will be two Judgement of Wisdom debuffs on the mobs. I'm not sure if it's been tested yet whether or not this means that the mob is still getting the -20% attack speed, but it definitely implies as much.

If that's the case, then I'd say prot should judge wisdom too just to make sure it doesn't fall off. Other than that, ret should (almost) always just light, and holy should (almost) always judge wisdom.
Jasari

Postby theckhd » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Janduin wrote:In time honored nerd tradition...I humbly submit that, assuming k is a wavenumber, which would be the usual assumption, the argument in the exponential in your avatar is not dimensionless!

My avatar is understood to be evaluated at time t=1. :D
Otherwise it doesn't spell theck! (it which case, it may or may not be me posting!)

Jasari wrote:I know there's be some talk that JotJ isn't getting overwritten anymore - if you judge wisdom and then someone else judges wisdom there will be two Judgement of Wisdom debuffs on the mobs. I'm not sure if it's been tested yet whether or not this means that the mob is still getting the -20% attack speed, but it definitely implies as much.

If that's the case, then I'd say prot should judge wisdom too just to make sure it doesn't fall off. Other than that, ret should (almost) always just light, and holy should (almost) always judge wisdom.

This is my firsthand experience (about the Judgements not overwriting each other), and the setup you explained is exactly how I have my raid doing it.
theckhd

Postby Dazhbog » Tue May 05, 2009 2:50 pm

I tested the Judgment thing the other night and could have sworn that mine got overwritten. I'll test it again tonight just to make sure.
Dazhbog

Postby Amarthil » Thu May 07, 2009 8:18 am

I love leveling Prot - Though you need Reckoning to be extra effective at it.
Quest to kill 10 mobs? No problem, grab all ten in one pull and AoE tank them down. Blessing of Sanctuary and Divine Plea keep my mana up, Seal/Judment of light + Parries/Reckoning keep me healthy. And for Oshi- moments, I still have my Figurine of the Colossus.
I AoE grinded from 71 to 72 on rhinos. I'd invite my skinner friends over for great fun.

I was able to solo most group quests while in prot. It was easier when the elites had friends (like Arugal) to keep my mana and health up (See above).

I guess it might not be as effective if you're not geared well, I had mostly tier 4-5/badge stuff when I hit Northrend.

On a side note, I notice one thing on arguments against Reckoning that's missing is the benifit of judgments.
Amarthil

Postby theckhd » Thu May 07, 2009 1:20 pm

Dazhbog wrote:I tested the Judgment thing the other night and could have sworn that mine got overwritten. I'll test it again tonight just to make sure.

Did some testing last night and managed to confirm that it does overwrite some of the time, but not consistently. Link here.
theckhd

Postby enix » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:59 pm

After I become Block Capped does stacking dodge/block/parry become meaningless or does it still contribute to boss misses?
enix

Postby Marvel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Knaughty wrote:Q: What gems?
A: Defence (to 540) > Stamina/Avoidance > Strength Don't ever use spelldamage gems. You will need more defence gems at 80 than you did at 70. Strength beats Agility. Defence beats Dodge. Expertise beats Hit (or crit). Dodge beats Parry. Don't gem parry or agility if you have any other option.

It's been clearly established with the addition of the new Agility/Stamina gem in 3.1 that the Shifting Twilight Opal (+8 Agility/+12 Stamina) is the best EH option for red sockets (+8 Dodge Rating/+12 Stamina is best for avoidance). It's still useless to gem for Parry, but not Agility.
Marvel

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents