Remove Advertisements

Dual Spec (Prot/Prot)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Dual Spec (Prot/Prot)

Postby NYRIN1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:30 am

Its getting close to patch time and i was wondering how many of you are just going to use the dual spec for Mt/ot or just different MT builds. Thoughts?
NYRIN1

Re: Dual Spec (Prot/Prot)

Postby Snickersnee » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:36 am

If i can find a good MT/OT specs i am going to do it but if i can't i will just do MT/PVP Prot so i can run flags :P
Snickersnee

Postby lusisia » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:51 am

Nyrin1 wrote:Its getting close to patch time and i was wondering how many of you are just going to use the dual spec for Mt/ot or just different MT builds. Thoughts?

The situations where a different MT build would be needed are so few and far between that you're wasting your gold doing dual prot specs. Seriously.

If you never go offspec (ret or holy) for raids then use your second spec for pvp (ret or holy).

Seriously, do the math. Let's assume that there is a generous 2 fights in Ulduar where a different MT build is "desireable". At 50G per respec, you'd have to respec 20 times to make it up (it's 1k to learn dual spec, right?). Of course you could factor in Glyphs but you'll probably use the same glyphs in a prot-prot setup.

If you don't play any other spec than prot, you should start. As a wise man once told me "I'm a paladin. I have three trees. I should learn them all"
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:58 am

I was going to go prot/holy just for the versatility in helping my guild's raids out, but I've very recently discovered the joys of ret so I imagine I'll be going prot/ret. However. I flip through all three specs so often that I imagine prot is going to be my only "set" talent spec, and the other one is going to be flipping back and forth between ret and holy on a pretty constant basis. so I'll really only be saving the respec fees when I go back to prot from whichever one I happen to be in before.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby lusisia » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:45 am

Nikachelle wrote:I was going to go prot/holy just for the versatility in helping my guild's raids out, but I've very recently discovered the joys of ret so I imagine I'll be going prot/ret. However. I flip through all three specs so often that I imagine prot is going to be my only "set" talent spec, and the other one is going to be flipping back and forth between ret and holy on a pretty constant basis. so I'll really only be saving the respec fees when I go back to prot from whichever one I happen to be in before.

Same here. I'll most likely be prot/holy and swap to ret when I plan on pvp'ing or not being able to raid for a while. Dual spec will be nice from a cost perspective but for those times when you need to hit the third spec, might I recommend two fantastic addons (that I've been using for a long time):

- Action bar saver
- Talented

ABS let's you swap actionbar profiles with a simple command. It works with Bartender, Dominoes and the standard action bars
Talented let's you save infinite numbers of talent specs and play around with them. I have 6 specs currently setup in talented that I can activate with the push of a button.

Dealing with Glyphs is another issue but the biggest time spent in respec'ing is the actual respec and action bar setup, IMHO.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Javierkaiser » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:50 pm

I was thinking too in doing a dual spec Prot/Prot. One, for MTing and single target, and the other for thrash/ot. Both have few talents different, and mainly, the glyphs.
Also, I was thinking to try for MT spec a combo of Reck and SoR, which given the new weapon tanking enchant (+parry), could be interesting.
Javierkaiser

Postby Shroomous » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:22 am

I am almost certainly going prot/prot.

Some of us don't pvp. And some of us don't enjoy healing or dpsing as pallys. Anyway, if I'm always tanking, I'm always getting more experience, and becoming a better tank.
Shroomous
80 Draenei Protection Paladin
Proudmoore
Shroomous

Postby Kalakaua » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:44 am

Shroomous wrote:I am almost certainly going prot/prot.

Some of us don't pvp. And some of us don't enjoy healing or dpsing as pallys. Anyway, if I'm always tanking, I'm always getting more experience, and becoming a better tank.

There's always the argument that healing or dpsing once in awhile is what makes you a better tank. While I primarily tank, I switch specs often and it's made me a better tank because I have a better understanding of things that I can do to make the fight easier for the other roles.

For example, the vast majority of tanks for VoA always end up tanking Archavon with a big 'ol poison cloud behind him that leaves no space for the melee dps. Other things that tanks almost never think about is that running up ramps breaks LoS with your healer.

The tank is generally the one who controls and manages the fight since he is usually the one who decides kill order, boss position, and CC targets (back in the days of CC). Any kind of manager benefits from knowing what everyone is supposed to do.
Kalakaua

Postby mconeone » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:52 am

Shroomous wrote:I am almost certainly going prot/prot.

Sometimes your raid needs you to do things you don't always enjoy. Like doubling your dps when not tanking.
mconeone

Postby Kellel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Shroomus wrote:And some of us don't enjoy healing or dpsing as pallys.

Those of you who claim to not enjoy dpsing as a pally, have never tried it lol. It's the best! Although I miss tanking. Unfortunately I dps'd my way right out of a job. it only took me a couple trips into naxx to get enough gear that I quickly became one of our guilds top dps'ers. Since we have a ton of up and coming tanks .. I only get to tank now when they need a pally to tank an 8 man naxx run lol.
Kellel
Maintankadonor

Postby Griffonheart » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:06 pm

I might go Prot/Prot as well, mainly due to glyphs and certain fight require more tricks than threat. PoJ, Imp. Hammer of Justice, Guardian's Favor, etc. Glyph of HotR is one thing that's very useful at group threat (and PvP, interestingly enough) but if MTing a boss it's not the glyph I'm aiming for. Same with Glyph of Hand of Sacrifice, highly situational but I'm hoping to find a use for it. The threat spec I will use when it's needed and the other I use for situational fights and PvP.
True Voyage is Return

Griffonheart

Postby Jazmine » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:58 pm

I wish there were trispecs
Jazmine

Postby Griffonheart » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:32 am

Uther?

I would definitely be Prot/Prot/Prot.
True Voyage is Return

Griffonheart

Postby etherboy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm seriously considering dual Prot... on my Pally all I enjoy is tanking, I have worked hard as a raid leader and tank, and my guild does not expect me to stop tanking...

Until a clear empirical opinion forms on the ideal specs/abilities, I'm holding off and just going 0/53/18...

It's a personal choice, and you can't tell someone they are 'wrong' for choosing to do so... but certainly I feel like there will only be a minority of hybrids taking dual of one spec...
Erugar - 80 Paladin - <Canadian Dogsled Team> - Korgath-US
Armory
etherboy

Postby Vhing » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:36 pm

Jazmine wrote:I wish there were trispecs

I was reading an interview with one of Blizzard's development directors and he said that depending on how dual spec works out they may consider tri-spec.

/cross fingers

V
Vhing

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents