[10/25]General Verax [ Second Impressions]

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25]General Verax [ Second Impressions]

Postby Katamai » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:23 am

So we've gone from "We don't want any tank to be superior (like on S+3)" to "Paladins should go ret/holy for this boss"?
I'm gonna be mighty pissed if that's the case because when we do 10 man runs i'm the MT of one of the groups and i also MT from time to time in 25 mans.

Or has it been fixed?
I... was... once... called... Ashbringer...
My... son... watched... me... die...
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Postby mconeone » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:03 am

Did you read the thread? The reason paladins couldn't tank this was because SA was removed and this was before it was added back in as a talent. However, with most paladins going 1/2 SA, we may be at a disadvantage for this fight.
mconeone

Postby Raive » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:29 am

This boss is quite tankable, at least mana wise, by a pally with 2 talents into SA (I misclicked when picking talents and have yet to dish out the 50g to switch 1 point from SA to crusade *shrug*) boss hits like a truck though and would still probably be better suited to a tank that's better at mitigating/avoiding slow burst damage. But on 10 man I spent the fight without dropping below about 85% mana. As a bonus the void shadow crash buff affects our spells as well, means uber threat for sure *glee*
Raive

Postby nutron » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:46 am

Main Tanked it with 1/2 SA with no problem whatsoever.
nutron

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:16 am

You need about 14k damage every 5 seconds in order to keep your mana up. Vezax will provide that and more.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Doloth » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:31 pm

nutron wrote:Main Tanked it with 1/2 SA with no problem whatsoever.

I have no idea how, unless you are talking about the 25-man version. I went and tanked the 10-man version with 1/2 SA and I was oom by 80% of his life. And this isn't going to cut it with the dps pulling insane numbers from the shadow crash buff. I had to go respec to 2/2 to maintain my mana and now I am fine. I just can't settle for letting anything out of my rotation to keep mana up, not with dps riding my butt. And yes, my threat is normally 40%+ over everyone else. There's just these damn mages...
Doloth

Postby Seloei » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:24 am

1 / 2 SA is not enough to keep you up to max on this fight, even with Divine Plea active i was oom at around ~75%. The only fight in here where you actually need 2 / 2 SA. It is possible to tank him with 1 / 2 + divine plea, but be ready to call out dps to reset their threat or stop attacking, because here you can't use block/threat gear and you need max avoidance since he hits like a truck. (30k melees without demo shout). Demo shout alone took it off by 4-6k per hit.
The fight seems a lot easier than what it was on ptr tho.
Seloei

Postby Janduin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:22 am

Seloei wrote:1 / 2 SA is not enough to keep you up to max on this fight, even with Divine Plea active i was oom at around ~75%. The only fight in here where you actually need 2 / 2 SA. It is possible to tank him with 1 / 2 + divine plea, but be ready to call out dps to reset their threat or stop attacking, because here you can't use block/threat gear and you need max avoidance since he hits like a truck. (30k melees without demo shout). Demo shout alone took it off by 4-6k per hit.
The fight seems a lot easier than what it was on ptr tho.

Divine Plea does not do ANYTHING on Vezax, unless it was bugged only for me. I kept it up for glyph damage reduction, but you'll notice that if you are topped off, and get a lucky avoidance streak, your mana does NOT go up in the slightest.

2/2 SA, no problems whatsoever, 2-shot him on 25. 10-man was a nightmare though.

He hit me for ~26K I think on 25-man with whatever raid setup we had.
Janduin

Postby Seloei » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:05 am

DP doesn't work on live anymore? on ptr it was the only thing that regenned my mana. Didn't notice, tho i might respec 2/2 sa just for this fight
Seloei

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:41 am

It isn't supposed to work on Vezax... Look at his abilities.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Seloei » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:57 am

it isn't supposed to work, but without SA that was how i got mana back on ptr, probably fixed it then.
Seloei

Postby Kihra » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 am

Haven't killed Vezax yet, but did do some 25-man attempts tonight on him after finally downing Mimiron. I only had 1/2 SA and mana did not seem to be much of an issue. It was slowly draining, but then I'd take a big hit or two and would get enough back from SA to keep tanking.
Kihra

Postby nutron » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:35 am

Doloth wrote:
nutron wrote:Main Tanked it with 1/2 SA with no problem whatsoever.

I have no idea how, unless you are talking about the 25-man version. I went and tanked the 10-man version with 1/2 SA and I was oom by 80% of his life. And this isn't going to cut it with the dps pulling insane numbers from the shadow crash buff. I had to go respec to 2/2 to maintain my mana and now I am fine. I just can't settle for letting anything out of my rotation to keep mana up, not with dps riding my butt. And yes, my threat is normally 40%+ over everyone else. There's just these damn mages...

I tanked the 10 man version too tonite with 1/2 SA, dpsers pulling 5k+ dps (was dragging to shadow crash sites so rogues could get anywhere from 6k to 9k dps) and aggro was never an issue. Sounds like your healers might be at fault here, I was wearing 2 block value pieces for threat (both set 2-piece bonuses), was miles ahead of dpsers, ran oom the first time at 39% or so where i just started using exo instead of consecrate.

You probably went oom cause you kited the surge, i tanked it.

I don't really wanna give away all the info (eventho i just gave alot) becuase I believe 95% of the fun of this game is figuring things out for yourself and receiving due rewards for your efforts, was just trying to break the a myth that it was "impossible" and such.
nutron

Postby Seloei » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Tanked it a few days ago with 2/2 SA and there were 3 times during a fight where i was oom, but that was due to avoiding hits for 10s in a row + surge right after.
With 1/2 SA i was oom quite often after the first surge and got barely enough mana back to keep my rotation up then.

edit: 25 man
Seloei

Postby Rehlachs » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 am

nutron wrote:I tanked the 10 man version too tonite with 1/2 SA, dpsers pulling 5k+ dps (was dragging to shadow crash sites so rogues could get anywhere from 6k to 9k dps) and aggro was never an issue.

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=63277

*eyeroll*
Rehlachs

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon