Remove Advertisements

2 stupid questions about VH

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

2 stupid questions about VH

Postby larathus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Although I have tanked VH many times and have never died I have 2 stupid questions pertaining to it.

1: Where and what are the adds that stray away (between bosses) going/trying to do? And if they succeed what happens?

2: Sometimes I have found the portals to be mean spawn on opposite sides of the room. The one I always seem to have to run around is when the portal spawns to the left of the rubble ramp on top. You will have 2 adds come down the rubble ramp to where you are and the other 2 break in the other direction. What I normally do is throw judgement on first add down th ramp then run after the other 2 run-away mobs and avenger shield themback to me then consecrate to hold the first 2. Is there an easier way to do this or this is just the way the cookie crumbles?
larathus

Re: 2 stupid questions about VH

Postby Neara » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:49 pm

larathus wrote:Although I have tanked VH many times and have never died I have 2 stupid questions pertaining to it.

1: Where and what are the adds that stray away (between bosses) going/trying to do? And if they succeed what happens?

They try to brake through the Prison-gate and invade Dalaran. They will annihilate the kirin'tor, Dalaran will crash down should they succeed and all players that are bound to Dalaran will spawn in mid-air and fall to the ground should they use their hearthstone. ... Or the event will just stop and you have to start all over. One or the other, but i don't know because it never happened to me.

2: Sometimes I have found the portals to be mean spawn on opposite sides of the room. The one I always seem to have to run around is when the portal spawns to the left of the rubble ramp on top. You will have 2 adds come down the rubble ramp to where you are and the other 2 break in the other direction. What I normally do is throw judgement on first add down th ramp then run after the other 2 run-away mobs and avenger shield themback to me then consecrate to hold the first 2. Is there an easier way to do this or this is just the way the cookie crumbles?

no easy way, but running is healthy :P
Neara

Postby Spectrum » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:32 pm

larathus wrote:1: Where and what are the adds that stray away (between bosses) going/trying to do? And if they succeed what happens?

Yeah, it's just like Black Morass. They'll go to the door and start channeling, slowly reducing it from 100%. If it gets to 0% you lose and have to start over. Portals spawn either when you've killed the mobs from the last one or on a timer, so if you take too long on a group another portal might open up. It doesn't happen often.

larathus wrote:2: Sometimes I have found the portals to be mean spawn on opposite sides of the room. The one I always seem to have to run around is when the portal spawns to the left of the rubble ramp on top. You will have 2 adds come down the rubble ramp to where you are and the other 2 break in the other direction. What I normally do is throw judgement on first add down th ramp then run after the other 2 run-away mobs and avenger shield themback to me then consecrate to hold the first 2. Is there an easier way to do this or this is just the way the cookie crumbles?

Basically you have to split it up. I usually HotR one group and AS the other, then lay a consecrate wherever I actually want to tank. It's a good encounter for seeing if a tank knows what he's doing.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby draknar » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:38 pm

I consecrate at the bottom of the rubble stairs to the right of the portal, then run to the stairs on the left and AS. If dps can stand to hold off, I tank them at the bottom of the stairs on the left, cause the sorceror tends to go left.
draknar

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:47 am

AS on one side and HotR on the other then consecrate seems to work pretty well for everything except the packs with two casters in them. I always have a hell of a time when there's one on each side and they won't move.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Belloc » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:12 am

You can also just run to the door and wait for them to converge.
Belloc

Postby Levantine » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Belloc wrote:You can also just run to the door and wait for them to converge.

The lazy mans way of doing things.
Levantine

Postby Velorian » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:30 am

Belloc wrote:You can also just run to the door and wait for them to converge.

If you're quick enough you can consecrate at the portal before they emerge.
Velorian

Postby Pettu » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:18 pm

I usually have my guildie-rogue run up and aggro the left side, bringing them down the right ramp. Then i taunt them off him, or they run through my consec. Never had a problem this way and DPS can start booming from the point i grab aggro on the mobs that go right.
Pettu

Postby Baelik » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:37 pm

If you reach there early or even as they spawn, simply aggroing one will link the others. Its only if they are apart by some distance that you will need to do extra work.

If I am late then what I usually do is consecrate at the floor near the collapsed wall and AS the group coming down the stairs. HotR when the consecrated group gets to me. Almost always the Sorceror (caster) comes down the stairs.

Its key to mark a skull on the group coming down from the stairs because if DPS aggro tips over your little consecrate then things can get messy. I don't use HotR on the first group early on coz that requires you to be in melee range and I'd rather catch up to the group coming down the stairs before they widen the gap.
Baelik

Postby Kelaan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:33 pm

I either shield toss the near ones and run to (and hammer, shor, execute, or HoReck) the other pair, or hammer the near ones and shield toss the far ones. We have so many pickup options now, it's hard not to have something available.
Kelaan

Postby Taudark » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:59 pm

larathus wrote:

Run up there fast with your dps and healer, then you get them down faster and don't need to run around.
Taudark

Postby Riposte » Sun May 03, 2009 12:23 am

Baelik wrote:If you reach there early or even as they spawn, simply aggroing one will link the others. Its only if they are apart by some distance that you will need to do extra work.

If I am late then what I usually do is consecrate at the floor near the collapsed wall and AS the group coming down the stairs. HotR when the consecrated group gets to me. Almost always the Sorceror (caster) comes down the stairs.

Its key to mark a skull on the group coming down from the stairs because if DPS aggro tips over your little consecrate then things can get messy. I don't use HotR on the first group early on coz that requires you to be in melee range and I'd rather catch up to the group coming down the stairs before they widen the gap.

I do this as well, but I run with a hunter that always goes all out on the adds that took one tick of the consecrate. She does it because she knows it pisses me off. If she didn't always come with tons of fish feasts I'd stop running with her, I swear!
Riposte

Postby Impervium » Mon May 04, 2009 8:41 am

It should be noted that the instance becomes significantly harder if it bugs and spawns one of the portal guardians beneath the ground...

That's right, beneath the ground.

We couldn't do anything but pick up the adds that came out while other portals continued on normally. Fortunately, it happened after the second boss so we didn't have to deal with it for long. Also portals that are up don't spawn adds once Cyanigosa spawns.
Impervium

Postby aleyona » Mon May 04, 2009 9:19 am

larathus wrote:2: Sometimes I have found the portals to be mean spawn on opposite sides of the room. The one I always seem to have to run around is when the portal spawns to the left of the rubble ramp on top. You will have 2 adds come down the rubble ramp to where you are and the other 2 break in the other direction. What I normally do is throw judgement on first add down th ramp then run after the other 2 run-away mobs and avenger shield themback to me then consecrate to hold the first 2. Is there an easier way to do this or this is just the way the cookie crumbles?

This is a common problem I had for a long time. there are actually several options here that I've found. These are things that Paladins can do and warriors can't.

3 mob group - 2 Right, 1 left. Exorcism on the 1 (Remember, all mobs now), and AS on the 2nd. Provided your DPS doesn't chase after the 1 (in which case you can still taunt it), it will come to you as you chase after the 2.

4 mob group - 2 left, 2 right. This one is a bit tricker, but still very manageable. AS on the left group, then run into the 2nd group and pull a HotR. By the time your cooldown on HotR is up, they'll already be in your consecrate waiting to get wailed on. Note, in this instance you want to be throwing your shield as you prepare to bring down your hammer. This will prevent your DPS from chasing after the wrong mobs (they'll be going after the mob closest to you usually, which will be your HotR buddy).

The main issue you will have is DPS who automatically attack the first target you assault. If that happens, you haven't touched your taunts yet.

I've had a lot of practice on this and found it to be the best method.

IF your issue is running from portal to portal across the room... Get new DPS, because they suck.
aleyona

Next

Return to General Strats