Hodir and Frost Resist

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Hodir and Frost Resist

Postby Kaeos » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:09 pm

So, Hodir. If you're tanking him you're going to need Frost Resist gear. Here's some information on the fight if you haven't seen it before.

The question is, how much? Currently with the 3 pieces of Icebane, the Titanium Frost Resist Ring and our Frost Resist Aura we can achieve 485 quite easily. However, even though the gear is socketed (unless you socket purely +16 Defense and even then..) you're most likely not going to remain Uncrittable.

Has anyone actually done this fight on the PTR that can shine a little light on it? Do I need to actually grab some higher Defense gear that I would've normally passed to Offspecs or is it less intense than the ability says?

Another thought is that for the hard mode, I can imagine that some guilds might have a healer or two drop into DPS mode, leaving you with less heals and perhaps placing more reliance on your Frost Resist.

When is enough, enough? 510 is the cap (75% reduction) achieveable through the Hodir Helm enchant quite easily.
Kaeos

Re: Hodir and Frost Resist

Postby Echo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:36 pm

use a defense trinket
Echo

Postby Kaeos » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:53 pm

With Repelling Charge in my normal gear I sit at around 551 Defense. By ONLY swapping in the new gear (Chest hasn't been Def enchanted yet) and swapping in a different shield with more defense I'm at 529.

I gemed the sockets to get the socket bonus, which meant +16 Def in yellow, Enduring Forest Emeralds in Blue, and Champion Monarch Topaz in Red.

Me personally, my second trinket slot is the Alchemist Stone +75 Stam & 1.8% Dodge. I -could- swap in the Seal of Patheon... but I just don't see that being a very wise choice.

I would much rather drop one of the FrR pieces of gear than further gimp my well rounded stats.
Kaeos

Postby Mex » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 pm

510 isn't the cap, and in fact equates to roughly 50% resisted over time, with a minimum of 40% resisted for a ~24k frozen blow + melee damage.

Remember you also have defense elixirs available to you, I'd recommend using them rather than being critable.

I think the 3 crafted pieces, ring, and FrR aura will be plenty. If you have a lot of holy pallies you could probably take off a piece or two and rotate Aura Mastery too.

Should really be a non-issue I think.
Mex

Postby Nalyn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 am

I also believe there were reports that the frozen blows work something like our seals do? That if the melee hit is avoided, the frost damage that would be attached to that hit doesn't ever happen? Would seem to me you just run with an avoidance clickie trinket and and frost aura, and you'll probably be in good shape.
Nalyn

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:03 am

20 resi on chest does wonders.

Also 20 resi gem, stam/resi gem, def/dodge gem, next.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Belloc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:53 am

Just throw on a piece plus the aura and let your healers deal with the rest.
Belloc

Postby Rachmaninoff » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:08 pm

whats the ring? not familiar with it. can someone link and/or post stats since I'm at work.
Rachmaninoff

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Kaeos wrote:When is enough, enough? 510 is the cap (75% reduction) achieveable through the Hodir Helm enchant quite easily.

Assuming you're not interested in average damage taken so much as worst-case damage taken, the relevant breakpoints are 340 and 510. 340 means you resist at least 30%, 510 means you resist at least 40% (and yes, it's 50% reduction at 510 not 75% reduction now). I don't think I'd sacrifice crittability for anything in between (well, or at all... he's still going to be pummeling you for 25k/hit outside of frozen blows, so a crit is pretty much game over...) Worldie has the meat of it if you're really trying for 510: resilience. I don't think hitting that 510 breakpoint is going to be vitally important, though.

Rachmaninoff wrote:whats the ring? not familiar with it. can someone link and/or post stats since I'm at work.

Titanium Frostguard Ring
100 Stamina
68 Frost Resist
red socket +6 stam
(unique-equipped :) )
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:Worldie has the meat of it if you're really trying for 510: resilience. I don't think hitting that 510 breakpoint is going to be vitally important, though.

I didn't "really" try for it, it's just my Sartharion set which happens to use 3 out of 4 of the FrR pieces. I'd just need to swap one of the two stam trinkets for Repelling Charge and poof, 33k HP unbuffed, 50%ish pure avoidance, 15%ish block, 510+ FrR.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lisson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:13 pm

i tanked hodir, got the hard mode complete, and u need zero frost resist.

im assuming ur talking about frozen blows, and if you read the ability its easy to avoid that dmg.

the tooltip says "Hodir deals 70% less physical dmg, but deals 40k frost dmg to frozen targets"

Simple solution is to just chain hand of freedoms to prevent him from freezing the tank during frozen blows. pretty simple.

edit: so i read the tooltip on mmo-champion and it does not say this on the tooltip there >.< but thats what it was on the ptr the 3 times we got to test it. ill do some digging to find out if it was changed ...

edit2: looked at a few websites, they all state im wrong.. lol but i talked to my raid leaders and healers that healed me on it and they are saying im correct.
So all i can say is, go into this fight and look for that.
Lisson

Postby Levantine » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm sure that works great on raids with a bazillion Paladins.
Levantine

Postby Consecrator » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:33 am

that does sound like it would be fun and entertaining at the same time. also see it being a disater on vent
When I was 8 years old, I watched my mother kill a spider with a tea cozy. Many years later I would find out that it wasnt a spider, it was my uncle harold.
Consecrator

Postby Lisson » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:44 am

He does frozen blows every 40-45~ seconds.. lasts for 20 seconds. HoF lasts 10 seconds. u only need 2 paladins in the raid. yourself (tanking) and a holy/ret pally to give it to u when it falls off. the .5 seconds that its not on u, chances are hes not gunna instant freeze u and 1 shot u in that small time frame. by the time he casts frozen blows again, ur ready to recast it
Lisson

Postby Elsie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:37 am

Levantine wrote:I'm sure that works great on raids with 2-3 Paladins and maybe a free action potion.
Elsie

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon