Remove Advertisements

[10] Emalon the Stormwatcher.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Emalon the Stormwatcher.

Postby juggi » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:58 am

Killed him 3/24 on PTR. He's in a wing off to the right before Archavon surrounded by 4 Tempest Minion adds. One tank pulled the boss to one side while the other grabbed the 4 adds and tanked them over 20 yards from the boss to avoid 10k Lightning Nova about every 20-25s. Around every 45 seconds or so one of the adds would heal to full and gain a stacking debuff. If the debuff stack hit 10 the add exploded and killed pretty much any non-tank. So DPS has to burn it down in 10-15s. A new add respawns in a few seconds to take its place.

Me (OT) and 5 DPS were doing just under 18k DPS. Even with target called with 1-2 stacks we still barely managed to down a few of the adds in time. Adding an extra dps we'd still have been pushing it if the added dps was melee. Overall fun fight that should make it harder for the 1k dps DK alts running around Wintergrasp to pick up free epics.
juggi

Re: [10] Emalon the Stormwatcher.

Postby Keion » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:58 am

Does he have a timed enrage?
Arthas thought Stratholme is not cool enough and decided to perform some cooling.
Keion

Postby juggi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:06 am

Not that I saw. The DPS check appears to be in killing the add in time. Also I forgot about the chain lightning he casts fairly constantly.
juggi

Postby Salamandra » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:28 am

Is the chain lightning on the tank or random target?
Salamandra

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:45 am

juggi wrote:Not that I saw. The DPS check appears to be in killing the add in time. Also I forgot about the chain lightning he casts fairly constantly.

You can just start killing the add before it gets to 10 stacks, right? That would diminish the time on the boss, though. Hm. Interesting. Edit: What if you just had some DPS dedicated to killing the adds full-time (along with the tank) -- that should give a constant chain of fresh, un-enraged adds. You have ~45 seconds to kill any given add, if I read your description right. (And of course I could be wrong. :))
Kelaan

Postby juggi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:34 pm

I put that up really late so some of the wording might be confusing. One of the 4 adds will heal to full , then the debuff (buff?) starts stacking on that add only. If it hits 10 your done, which seemed to take about 10, maybe 15 seconds max. After DPS learned to look for the add that was full health they got pretty reliable on downing them, but still with never more than 1-2 seconds to spare. Adds had around 200k iirc and the chain lightning was random target.
juggi

Postby Mozen » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:45 am

Does the MT also has to run out of the nova? 10k every half minute doesn't sound like a lot to heal through, but if the nova has a cast time then maybe we're supposed to run?

Sounds like a really nice fight for Affliction warlocks to top dps charts with meaningless dotting of adds. :lol:
Mozen

Postby Caelia » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:52 am

Mozen wrote:Does the MT also has to run out of the nova? 10k every half minute doesn't sound like a lot to heal through, but if the nova has a cast time then maybe we're supposed to run?

Sounds like a really nice fight for Affliction warlocks to top dps charts with meaningless dotting of adds. :lol:

More so wondering if theres some sort of negative debuff we get if you get hit by the nova.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby juggi » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:13 am

Mozen wrote:Does the MT also has to run out of the nova? 10k every half minute doesn't sound like a lot to heal through, but if the nova has a cast time then maybe we're supposed to run?

Yeah 10k damage isn't something a tank probably has to run from (and there was no buff that I saw). But you seem to have missed the point where I said the add will heal to full and then the buff will stack. If it hits 10 stacks, about 12-15 sec later, the add explodes and wipes the raid. There is no meaningless dotting of adds because any damage done to the adds BEFORE the add heals to full and starts the buff stacks is 100% meaningless. I think my assumption that pugs will have a tough time with this might be correct ).

Edited for continuing to refer to the buff as a debuff. It actually increases the damage that add does.
juggi

Postby Jasari » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 am

juggi wrote:There is no meaningless dotting of adds because any damage done to the adds BEFORE the add heals to full and starts the buff stacks is 100% meaningless.

I think you just proved his point.
Jasari

Postby juggi » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:11 am

I was really tired when I posted and probably missed the sarcasm there.
juggi

Postby Eighty8 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:09 am

the fight is still heavily depends on dps, but people just don't use focus and key bindings to target assist and ff immediately.

have it in time at the beginning and failed on the 3rd nova
Eighty8

Postby lusisia » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:59 pm

DPS is indeed the biggest hindrance to the fight. You have to get that Exploding tempest down once the debuff starts ticking. My biggest problem was picking up the freshly spawned add after killed the exploding one. I haven't tanked since we got Hand of Reckoning (back to prot for ulduar) and my situational and positional awareness was in the tank.

Side note, has anyone noticed any hitbox issues on the tempests when you're tanking them off to the side. We had one painful wipe because HotR wasn't connecting with any of the targets due to being "under" them when I was clearly in front of them.

While we only had a few shots before WG reset tonight, it's a fairly straightforward fight. Melee has plenty of time to run out of the nova if they do it when it starts. Chainlightning is pretty painless if people stay somewhat spread out. The tank can stay in for the Nova easy enough.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby kp3t3houg » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:28 am

i didnt see a post for 25 man Emalon, so im gonna post here. We had few tries last night, and its a fun fight indeed.
Few thing you have to be aware of

--- lighting nova - arround 30k dmg(25man), so melle move or die.
--- chain lightning seems to increase dmg with jumps (still not sure) so its kind a hard to spread the raid in this small room.
--- Adds have 700k life each and expload when reach 10 stacks of the buff/debuff , dealing 30k nature dmg in like 20 yards range = raid wipes :). You have 10-12 to max 15 secs to down them. There is no need to dps adds at all, cos they are fully healed when Emalon engrage them.
--- Positioning of the adds is the most imporant thing - you need your melee to move as less as possible,plus range dps should not reposition at all.

What we did is to position the boss in the far end of the room , opposite of the place where you enter. Add tank stay near the end of the pentagram thing on the ground, just outside of the nova radius. This way melee know where is safe, when they run from the boss, and join the dps on the add really fast. We manage to down him to 50 % killing 2 adds, but wiped on the 3rd :) it took us like 3-4 mins max. After that the servers are dead ofc, will down him tonight i hope.
kp3t3houg

Postby Jasari » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:30 am

Quick tip for burning adds fast:

Mark each add and have a different DPSer /focus each one. Whenever Emalon does his emote, the DPSer whose add got buffed calls out the mark so that everyone is able to get on it fast. We noticed that with all the added stacked up so close this is the fastest way to distinguish which mob has the buff.

Also have the OT body pull and then have the MT pick up Emalon.

We 2-shot it with 2 tanks, 2 healers and 6 DPS. 7/10 were guildies.

I kind of like that it's not a loot pinata like Archavon.
Jasari

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon