The return of CC

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: The return of CC

Postby Jasari » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:44 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
Jasari wrote:The first pulls of TK trash required a good amount of CC and 3-4 tanks due to WWs and Stun. If you had more than one of those mobs WWing on top of each other it'd destroy people (even at 80 it hurts more than most Naxx trash)

We sheeped one, I aoe tanked the rest, and an OT would drag one mob out for melee to kill while ranged killed everything on me. Occasionally the sheep would break, but no one would notice. The first couple weeks we did use 3 tanks, but it devolved into AoEing fairly quickly: we only spent 10 weeks in T5 before moving on.

Pre or Post 2.4? I could see that if you overgeared it with 2.4 badge gear, but on progression it'd seem unreliable. I'm not saying I don't believe you, since we never tried it that way ourselves; we didn't even have a geared prot pally and were in TK pre prot pally 2.3 buffs anyway.
Jasari

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 am

We started T5 in late October; 2.3 hit on 11/13? Shortly after 2.3 we were able to start clearing non-KT/Vashj in 2 raid nights. 2.4 didn't hit until July 15th, so we didn't outgear it at that point.

Although, we must have had two tank types + feral for A'lar, so I'm not certain why I was just AoE tanking. It's possible I was just pulling aggro off one of the OTs (who really wasn't very good at the entire "threat" thing).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:32 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I can't think of any trash that required 4 or 5 tanks -- do you have specific examples in mind? I can't even think of any trash that required 3 tanks. The only 2-tank trash I can think of in T5 was those robots that overloaded, and for the first couple weeks of BT double-tanking the generals in Naj's room was painful.

Trash clear to Kael'Thas is about the worst I can think of? 4+ tanks, depending on what CC you had available.

TK in general had the toughest trash I can recall.

I was under-geared in TK, and it was still 2.2, so I would have been destroyed if I tried to AoE tank it, and out MT at the time wasn't great at multi-target threat. So he'd tank one, I'd tank easy shit, and we'd have to have a couple of bears tank as well, or a bear+warrior.

2.3 I was in Tier-6, from memory.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:35 am

I hated TK trash >_> Whirlwinding mobs in tiny corridors was the worst idea ever.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:38 pm

OR! The best idea ever. TK and SSC trash was amazingly fun to heal. :3 :3

(It's worth noting I'm a huge masochist, and when you're in Angelform, you don't have to worry about how close you are to the whirlwind)
Levantine

Postby Origon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:15 am

But that only applies if you're specced holy =(
Origon

Postby Levantine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:05 am

Well to be fair, there weren't any Disc Priests in 2.x raids. ;)
Levantine

Postby Zalaria » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:54 am

Levantine wrote:Well to be fair, there weren't any Disc Priests in 2.x raids. ;)

That's a lie!
...they were just standing outside the instance.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:54 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
Jasari wrote:The first pulls of TK trash required a good amount of CC and 3-4 tanks due to WWs and Stun. If you had more than one of those mobs WWing on top of each other it'd destroy people (even at 80 it hurts more than most Naxx trash)

We sheeped one, I aoe tanked the rest, and an OT would drag one mob out for melee to kill while ranged killed everything on me. Occasionally the sheep would break, but no one would notice. The first couple weeks we did use 3 tanks, but it devolved into AoEing fairly quickly: we only spent 10 weeks in T5 before moving on.

I think this backs up Knaughty's point a bit. Which is that when things get ugly raid leaders to to resort to what's safe. Sure, you didn't NEED 4 tanks, but having them resulted in consistency and perceived control.

Incidentally, I think we cleared SWP in one raid night a couple times before that major patch hit. After the patch we initially started being as cautious as we usually are. Until we realized how silly everything became. It turned into an AoE fest after 15 minutes. And I think we cleared the place in like 1.5 or 2 hours or something stupid. I haven't seen CC used on trash since that patch.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Only who faced PRE NERF KT TRASHS is allowed to whine about CC on trashs.

22k Frostbrand procs anyone?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Panzerdin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:23 am

Levantine wrote:Well to be fair, there weren't any Disc Priests in 2.x raids. ;)

PS abuser right here, thanks very much.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Worldie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:17 am

That's not really true, but the % of disc priests compared to holy was extremely small.

We back then used occasionally a disc priest on SOME encounter... namely, only bloodboil, and i was a regular Power Infusion abuser.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby amh » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:41 am

Disc was fairly common on Felmyst progression, wasn't it?
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:44 am

On Brutallus maybe, i don't see Disc being anywhere useful on Felmyst (ok ok quicker MD, but CoH was > that)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Tolaana » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Coming into the Disc priest discussion: A lot of raids who cleared the content months behind did have raid disc priest healers simply because they didn't have the people to sit them after they buffed the raid. And a lot of those healers did fairly well on non AoE fights, so it doesn't seem fair to say there were no disc priests in raids.
ImageImageImage
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post.
Tolaana

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats