Crusade Spec Worthless in Ulduar?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Kynes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:52 am

Dorvan wrote:
Akairos wrote:I'm already specced for crusade.
When 3.0 comes and you all spec it, I will reference this post to let everyone know I was cool before it became commonplace.

The fact that it's a good spec once changes are made to the talent trees doesn't make it a good spec now, anymore than Paladin tanks who insisted on using King's Defender all the time were "ahead of the curve" because Tankadins now use melee tank weapons.

I'm inclined to agree. Sure the content is easy as sin atm but I *still* have no threat problems outside of Malygos25 and that is solved by a bit more concentration and a salv on that son of a bitch lock. No reason to sacrifice all those tanking talents for Crusade before 3.1.
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
Kynes

Re: Crusade Spec Worthless in Ulduar?

Postby toothdecaykills » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:43 am

I'd personally think that Crusade would be one of the best choices you could make for an Ulduar build. After all, I don't know about you guys, but I'll be geming and gearing with a mighty big focus on surviving these new encounters as we learn them. Threat gained from talents is threat I don't need to gain through gear.

Holy has a fantastic mitigation tool with Improved Lay on Hands, unfortunately, the second tier has nothing of particular desire. It is of note to consider that Divine Intellect modifies Divine Plea, though I'm pretty certain the benefit is so small that it doesn't make much of a difference in anything.
toothdecaykills

Postby Oryann » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:52 am

Yes, after much reading I have conceded and will be going down prolly 2/3 crusade at first and if mana is a non-issue like the math is pointing too ill consider going 3/3. BTW Theck, I was reading your post about SoB being worth tanking with and it made me sad, I actually liked our rotation and seal at the beginning of the xpack and It might take me a while to get used to SoB and substituting exorcism for every other judgment. Thanks for all of the Math man.
Oryann

Postby Dorvan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 am

Oryann wrote:Yes, after much reading I have conceded and will be going down prolly 2/3 crusade at first and if mana is a non-issue like the math is pointing too ill consider going 3/3. BTW Theck, I was reading your post about SoB being worth tanking with and it made me sad, I actually liked our rotation and seal at the beginning of the xpack and It might take me a while to get used to SoB and substituting exorcism for every other judgment. Thanks for all of the Math man.

theck's math showed that SoB can do slightly more threat than SoV. That's a lot different from saying you should use SoB for tanking.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:23 am

Dorvan wrote:
Oryann wrote:Yes, after much reading I have conceded and will be going down prolly 2/3 crusade at first and if mana is a non-issue like the math is pointing too ill consider going 3/3. BTW Theck, I was reading your post about SoB being worth tanking with and it made me sad, I actually liked our rotation and seal at the beginning of the xpack and It might take me a while to get used to SoB and substituting exorcism for every other judgment. Thanks for all of the Math man.

theck's math showed that SoB can do slightly more threat than SoV. That's a lot different from saying you should use SoB for tanking.

Exactly. As an extreme example, you'd also do more DPS/TPS if you were full ret spec'd using a 2hander with RF on. That doesn't mean it's better for tanking. You have to balance DPS/TPS with survivability and even though the recoil damage from SoB and Judgement isn't devastating, it's probably enough to keep me from using it on most progression content.
Jasari

Postby knaughty » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Dorvan wrote:theck's math showed that SoB can do slightly more threat than SoV. That's a lot different from saying you should use SoB for tanking.

If you're specced 0/53/18, SoB is a tiny bit more TPS than SoV. If you're Imp Loh, it was so close I can't remember which on was ahead.

Even so, I can't see SoB being sensible on any boss that can kill the tank. If you're that tight on TPS, you're going to be better off sticking to SoV but equipping your DMC:Greatness instead (or some other similar option).
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Re:

Postby Jellypop » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Dorvan wrote:
Akairos wrote:I'm already specced for crusade.
When 3.0 comes and you all spec it, I will reference this post to let everyone know I was cool before it became commonplace.

The fact that it's a good spec once changes are made to the talent trees doesn't make it a good spec now, anymore than Paladin tanks who insisted on using King's Defender all the time were "ahead of the curve" because Tankadins now use melee tank weapons.

Dude, I was so ahead of the curve when I tanked Scholomance progression!!!

/runs
Jellypop

Re:

Postby Lisson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:10 pm

[quote="Oryann"] As it stands right now I was planning on maintanking Hodir in Ulduar with a Death Knight in full Frost resist as an OT. /quote]

why do u need to have a FR tank?
his frozen blows says "deals 40k frost dmg IF THE TARGET IS FROZEN" all you have to do is when he puts frozen blows up, cast hand of freedom on urself, and keep that cycled as frozen blows comes up.

only 1 tank is needed
Lisson

Postby Levantine » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:55 pm

I'll just leave this here.
Frozen Blows
Levantine

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents