Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Surviving Mimiron's Plasma Blast

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25] Surviving Mimiron's Plasma Blast

Postby Passionario » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:19 am

Any advice on surviving this ability (besides the obvious "have a DK or warrior taunt him off you")?
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Re: [10/25] Surviving Mimiron's Plasma Blast

Postby Serelynn » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:49 am

After all our damage reduction talents/glyph it's a bit more manageable - that kind of damage is actually a place where 5/5 Divinity would help out I think.

He will only use that attack while in his first phase which has 6.9 million health and in that phase he has a few other abilities he uses that won't happen at the same time as Plasma Blast. If DPS is strong, which it will need to be in Ulduar, the first phase will be over quickly and at most you'll take a handful of those blasts. Divine Protection on the first or second blast, keep Lay on Hands ready to use, and having alert healers and it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe farm a handful of Nightmare Seeds to give healers a buffer? But, I think that shares cooldown with healthstones which could be a nice to use when reacting to the Plasma Blast.

Warriors won't have a large advantage here unless the ability is spell reflectable which is unlikely. When warriors have 4 pieces of T8 they can reduce the amount of damage by 20% (I think) when Shield Block is up, but that isn't enough to reduce the damage to trivial levels - healers would still need to spam heals non-stop.
Serelynn

Postby Mex » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:39 am

30k every second should be healable with 6 healers spamming you. After GbtL, imp RF, BoS, and Glyph of DP, you're looking at ~25k every second. Mimiron is fairly late in the instance, so hopefully you'll have grabbed a couple of upgrades already, and be sitting around 40-45k fully buffed. This _should_ be enough of a buffer to survive the blast. If not, then you're simply stuck for a couple of weeks until your raid has farmed the previous bosses enough to give you the burst health and your healers the throughput required. Personally I'd recommend a 'rotation' of healer burst heals (swiftmend, NS, Guardian Spirit, etc). GS especially seems very powerful here, and it's likely that with it up, it won't proc, and even if it _does_ proc, you're back up to 50% with another 1000ms before the next tick of damage, plenty of time to get ~6-11k worth of healing.

In this vein, remember that there are more than just your own cooldowns available here. Holy Pallies can shave 54% damage off you (or more with blessed hands), Guardian Spirit alone will probably allow you to live through an entire blast if your healers sync their stuff up well. 2 Holy Pallies, plus your own CD, plus a Guardian Spirit or two should be more than enough to see you through P1. Remember if you're desperate, you can also work Glyphed Hand of Salv in. It will save you, just make sure your DPS know beforehand and are ready to either drop agro, or simply don't go high enough in the first place.

It will be a challenge, but it's not something that I can see taking more than a night's practice at the very most for an accomplished guild.
Mex

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:36 am

It's Blizzard whoring Druids and DKs again.

[Even if that's your opinion, you would be welcome to explain it how, since that's actually a mechanic that would destroy a DK with AM shell, and gives no bonus to druids, while it actually advantages... Paladins. Seriously enough with the DK drama, they got nerfed enough already - Worldie]

Well Worldie, I'd say that a massive HP pool and a handily available set of cooldowns (WotN as well) are just what you need on this fight. You can't DS/DP every one of these blasts, you know.
Last edited by Panzerdin on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Karnah » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:46 pm

When we were testing this the first time round, he generally only did this once anyway, making it fairly moot, as i recall they have upped his hp since then however. That and, well, he technically *could* cast it a lot.

Its a fair test of how awake ones healers are. :)
Karnah

Postby Splug » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:30 pm

With the recent changes to anti-magic shell, it only works for roughly two ticks of the damage. The beam is fired roughly every 25 to 30 seconds, and in our experience he only got off two or three beams before going to the next phase. I suppose icebound fortitude or barkskin might be usable twice, but that still leaves one beam that's going to be quite dangerous in the middle. If having a 20% damage reduction really is mandatory, the salvation glyph is also an option; just click the buff off after the 5 second effect concludes. Damage classes don't have any increased effect multipliers in this part of the encounter so threat shouldn't be problematic. The beam can also be seen charging prior to being fired, so there is visible notice for the raid to help out if needed.

Panzerdin, I don't think the paranoid accusations of favoritism are warranted.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Thrornir » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:52 am

One question from someone who hasn't been on the PTRs - is it possible this is a 'Oh crap, tank has to move' ability, and while you can take it you could also get the heck out of the blast zone?
Thrornir

Postby Mex » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:46 am

100 yard range, 3 second cast.

Spose you could put on nifty stop watch, potion of speed, rocket boots, and give it a go? But yeah I think you're sposed to stay in :)

I really can't see it being toooo different to Brutallus' stomp. Sure, it was slightly easier with ferals due to the increased HP buffer, but 99% of guilds just used their MT whoever they were. A blood DK with VB + IBF, plus WotN to dampen one tick every blast would mebbe be the "best" option here (pre 4T8 warriors?), but honestly if they're not already your MT, just have your MT do it. As I said before, it doesn't really matter how many CDs your tank has because you can chain CDs from other classes (holy pallies and priests especially). Even if you don't have outside CDs, it's still healable with smart healers.

On a side note, I'm assuming that resistances don't work? Spellfire I'm guessing is the same as frostfire, in that it uses the lowest of arcane / fire res. If not though, then that gives another CD with holy pallies, FR aura and aura mastery.
Mex

Postby Worldie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:20 pm

It's a fight where i'd go with my 100% stamina set.

When there's unresistable huge chunks of damage, stamina sets are the only thing that work.

I'd have 45k with current gear, if i was still main tank i'd be easily at 50k by then. Come eat me. DP on first, PS on second, there should not be a third.
Actually why DP when you can DIVINE SHIELD?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby majiben » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:55 pm

That's a good point. We could technically keep him prema-taunted during the stream.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Passionario » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:48 am

Worldie wrote:Actually why DP when you can DIVINE SHIELD?

Brilliant! I totally forgot about that option. :)
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Nalyn » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:20 am

Worldie wrote:Actually why DP when you can DIVINE SHIELD?

Ya, my question would be...is this ability channeled/casted? If it is, it means once he start's he's essentially 'fixiated' on you, hit divine shield, wait til the channel ends, spam your /cancelaura button, and hit/taunt him. You could do a similar thing with Kael's pyroblasts, both in Magister's Terrace and Temptest Keep.
Nalyn

Postby Worldie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:45 am

Read tooltip, 3 sec cast channeled skill.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby majiben » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:04 pm

Doesn't appeared to be channeled to me. Looks like a 3 second cast then a 6 second DoT. That or the tool tip is poorly worded.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Worldie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:36 pm

"A stream of plasma" sounds like a channeled to me.

Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon