Remove Advertisements

Sartharion + 3: Tank-perspective guide

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Maswin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:21 am

Also worth noting if you're the paladin tank on add duty, you can help out with mitigating on sartharions breaths with sacrifice/divine guardian. You will always be able to help with at least one of them if you Sacrifice & DP (I was taking between 8k and 13k dmg).

Depending on how much health you have (28k after the -25% for me) you can realistically sacrifice to take one breathe then save your DS for another (you'll only need it up for 2-3s if theres any lava blazes you're tanking). HoJ/taunts/AS to slow the adds as they run away from you will help control them whilst immune.
Maswin

Postby Precio » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:29 pm

So is add tanking more dificult in 10 man or 25 man? I've noticed our DK's have no trouble with add aggro in 25 man ( I'm usually MT healing ). But in 10 man (where I add tank) it seems to be an issue.

THIS IS JUST 2 Drakes so Far.

In the 25 man attempts there are complaints about adds on healers. Are they just staying alive because we go in w/ 7 healers and have 25 man buffs?

Because in the 10 man, 2 whelps will kill our druid. Though we only use 2 healers in the 10 man.
12/14 Ulduar10 - 8/14 Ulduar25
Precio

Postby Worldie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Just adding a pos since i'm writing about the 10 men version, will be ready tomorrow or the day after prolly so i'll need feedbackzor
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Albani » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:02 am

Got a question Worldie:

How did u get that BS socket on your gloves?

Seems you are a engineer/JC :P

PS: First post here, though long time reader=)

-edit-

And just for the heck of it, it's also my 28th birthday today, lulz^^
Albani

Postby paulc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:40 pm

ADD Tanking

My it sounds like you guys are making hard work of this for yourselves. Running around like headless chickens and keeping you spells off cooldown to use to pull is not the way to do it.

The easy way to do this is to partner up with a holy palladin. He/she will be your healer and they will be healing with righteous fury up. (If possible make sure one of you has concentration up incase they do get some ADDs - the holydin might need to be using fire aura) This will cause them to be top of 99% of the ADDs threat lists shortly after spawning and they will all go for the holydin (mark him up so you can see him easily). You basically stay as close to the holydin as you can and when the ADDs get close your spells will pick them up. Any strays are easily picked up with our 2 taunts.

For flame walls just run whichever way you holydin does. Enraged ADDs should only happen if its a new one is running over to you both still when flame wall occurs. If this happens target it as priority, hammer of justice and kill it once its enraged.

As you aren't running around like a muppit you can just keep going with the normal 969 rotation which will easily solo the ADDs.
When welps spawn most will go for your holydin so will chase you rather than the other way around. When they spawn however I usually throw my shield at them to be sure then use Righteous Defence on a stray one (strays all tend to have gone for the same healer so RD will normally pick them all up in one swoop).
Once you've got them target them as priority and keep your rotation going. Have the shaman save heroism/bloodlust for after the welps spawn if your going to be using it on Tenebron. When they pop it use wings at the same time and you should be able to pretty much solo the welps. (Assuming your DPS are killing Tenebron before a second wave of welps spawns).

If you can spare 5 talent points (another pally gaurenteeing kings for example) then with the amount of welps and blazes whacking you congrats, you;ve finally found a use for Reckoning. :wink:

Once Tenebron is dead the hard part for you is over, just solo the blazes.
paulc

Re:

Postby Sybexia » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:43 pm

Worldie wrote:It's tecnically fine, 1800+ raidbuffed without counting the Libram should mitigate a grand part of the damage.

What gear are you wearing to get these block numbers? I have only managed to reach around 1300 unbuffed.
Sybexia

Re: Sartharion + 3: Tank-perspective guide

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:45 pm

I believe the gear I currently have on in my armory will get you there. I think I'm above 1800 with only one of those trinkets, I had on both because I was doing some DPS before I logged off.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sybexia » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks! I was able to get my hands on the boots tonight. I will be on the lookout for the helm, hands and wrists.
Sybexia

Postby Dokidoki » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:15 pm

here are the two main issues I've encountered that I've yet to see anyone mention. (concerning add tanking)

1) we have no target cap-free aoe threat ability that is burst damage. Consecrate takes time to tick and has a cd. Hammer has a target cap, shield has a target cap, holy shield doesn't help to pick up things that arent hitting you already. It seems one thunderclap or feral swipe could really do this job better to me

2) Righteous defense is incredibly ugly on this fight. With adds running around loose sometimes I've accidentally taunted the boss because they switch targets to the main tank.

I don't know if I'm just a scrub but I found that main tanking this fight was easier than drake tanking and add tanking was the hardest. which is funny because the average person is going to assume that you'd use your best tank for sarth and then number 2 guy for drakes then use your scrub for whelps. Maybe that's why so many guilds struggle....
Dokidoki

Postby Belloc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:38 pm

Prot paladin + holy paladin with righteous fury is almost entirely sufficient in picking up adds. We were doing some 3D non-zerg attempts last week, and I was on drakes and adds. The holy paladin just sat in melee range (in my consecrate) and the adds would go for him and would either aggro onto me or be torn to shreds from the various melee range aoes going on.

Whelps, of course, are problematic... but if your consecration is down where they spawn, you're going to pick up most of them. Add in a lay on hands (assuming your health drops low enough), and they're all yours.
Belloc

Postby amh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:09 am

Dokidoki wrote:2) Righteous defense is incredibly ugly on this fight. With adds running around loose sometimes I've accidentally taunted the boss because they switch targets to the main tank.

Righteous Defense is overpowered, you mean? :) Taunt off a player, not off a mob. Grid + Clique is your friend.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Tetsuo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:36 am

paulc wrote:ADD Tanking
The easy way to do this is to partner up with a holy palladin. He/she will be your healer and they will be healing with righteous fury up.

We tried this on our early attempts but i found it didn't help as much as i like it to. The MT healers were still kicking out more effective healing and pulling aggro. It did work to an extent though so it's still worth doing and is a good tip, just remember to keep your eyes on the other healers as it might not work every time :-)

Is it worth mentioning hand of sacrifice/protection for whelp/blaze tanking?
I'm our primary add tanker on this fight and normally other people don't do it unless i'm not there and I find hands to be quite helpful for saving healers (mainly when the whelps spawn to be honest).
I'm running grid for my raid frames and have installed clique for the sole purposes of using my hands. Drop consecration on the whelp portal, run to avoid the unlucky flame wall, check grid to see if a healer has a red aggro dot on them, clicky the box with the red aggro dot to lend them a hand. hands can save them if taunts are on cooldown or you've just failed miserably at picking up whelps and there's a lot heading their way.
Granted, the occasions when taunts/avengers shield aren't available or suitable for picking up adds in this fight will be fairly minimal if you're on top of things and managing it all well but they're definitely worth thinking about.
Tetsuo

Postby Belloc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:17 am

With beacon of light, a holy paladin should be able to heal both tanks at once. I don't see how any healer could out-threat that.
Belloc

Postby Tetsuo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:05 am

Belloc wrote:With beacon of light, a holy paladin should be able to heal both tanks at once. I don't see how any healer could out-threat that.

Like i said, our early attempts. Haven't revisted this since the beacon changes. druids seemed to be the worst culprits for outthreating the RF healer pre beacon changes though.
Tetsuo

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon