Remove Advertisements

H. DTK

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

H. DTK

Postby Mallot » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:17 am

I am a mildly-geared tankadin (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... e&n=Mallot)
Last night I was running H. DTK with 4 other people around the same gear level. We were getting destroyed by King Dread.

Any tips on how to deal with his massive damage output? I tried my bubble wall and lay on hands but that only kept me alive long enough to see the next manacing claw. :(
Mallot

Re: H. DTK

Postby Jasari » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:23 am

Make sure the healer knows that he puts a DoT on you that can only be removed by healing you to 100%. If they don't know that then they'll generally just heal enough to "keep you alive" not knowing that they should be spamming their biggest heal on you until the DoT is removed.

If you have a priest make sure he's putting fearward on you. If you have a shaman make sure he's dropping tremor totem.

He's one of the biggest "gear checks" in heroics just because you have to be able to survive a fear + DoT unless you have a fear break.
Jasari

Postby Kelaan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Mallot wrote:Any tips on how to deal with his massive damage output? I tried my bubble wall and lay on hands but that only kept me alive long enough to see the next manacing claw. :(

Bring an extra tank, whose sole role is to tank the raptors that add periodically in the fight. It's MUCH easier. The boss will debuff his target so that they take a LOT of extra bleed damage -- and the adds primarily stack bleed effects. If someone else is getting hit by those, you stay alive much more easily. (You could tank the adds and have someone else tank the boss, it's really up to your healer.) We did it (and got the achievement) with a non-25-man-geared shaman healer (alt of one of our hunters), and two Very Well Geared tankadins. ;) The fight, though, was so much easier that I think you should find it much easier with normal heroic-level tanking gear on two tanks.

Two tanks works well for the whole instance -- not a whole lot requires crazy DPS, excepting perhaps the first boss's achievement. Moreover, you can nearly chain-pull the parts after the raptor boss, since the damage output is not spikey enough to kill two tanks (whereas you can bite off too much by mistake with a poor pull on your own). A paladin healer with Beacon probably makes the raptor boss much easier, but I imagine any healer will work Just Fine. Having someone else tank the little raptors is the key.
Kelaan

Postby Mozen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:57 pm

King Dred is dreadful when he stacks his bleed, bleed debuff (+75% bleed effect), then armor debuff (-75% armor) on you all at the same time.

The first time he raises his claws (he emotes it) I pop my trinkets, the second time I pop Divine Protection. The third time I pray my healer's up to the test. Though now that I'm better geared, I save DP for when I get the debuffs stacked on me.

The worst one is the armor debuff. With that debuff, plus his hasted claws he can drop you down to red in less than one second. I think the armor debuff could be avoided by getting out of melee range. I seem to recall getting out of it once, but I'm not sure, since he follows you even when he raises his claws, so I doubt if we're supposed to avoid it by range.

All his debuffs can be dodged and parried, though. So a dodge trinket is definitely useful here. I never tried using Divine Shield to see if I can clear the debuffs, since I want DP available.
Mozen

Postby Seladas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:17 am

Just clear the adds 1st unless you are going for the achieve in which case you need full heroic to maybe some 10 man gear although when we did it we had a mid heroic geared healer(Paladin with a mana pool of about 17k) and a fresh 80 shadow priest, the rest of the group was me(some Naxx 10 gear, some heroic epics)a boomkin(all naxx 10 gear) and a hunter(full naxx 10 gear) but as stated make sure your healer keep you up at 100% hp to get past the bleed
Seladas

Postby Mallot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:59 am

We actually did pull all of the adds ahead of time with the exception of one which I was unable to pull without getting the boss too.

We managed to get him to 15% on our 3rd and final attempt. I suppose once I gear up a little more it won't be too difficult.

Thanks for the responses! :D
Mallot

Postby Galoheart » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:06 am

Jasari wrote:Make sure the healer knows that he puts a DoT on you that can only be removed by healing you to 100%. If they don't know that then they'll generally just heal enough to "keep you alive" not knowing that they should be spamming their biggest heal on you until the DoT is removed.

If you have a priest make sure he's putting fearward on you. If you have a shaman make sure he's dropping tremor totem.

He's one of the biggest "gear checks" in heroics just because you have to be able to survive a fear + DoT unless you have a fear break.

^^What he said.

As well just pull all the adds as many as you can one by one. One maybe hard to get that's much further in the area that you wont be able to reach. If you have the macro you can also on fear if you don't have a priest or shammy to quickly bubble and clear the fear casted on yourself. Often he dosen't cast the fear no more than twice i've experienced.
http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/ - My WoW Blog.
"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself".
Galoheart

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:33 pm

An advantage of having two tanks for this is, in a ddition to having an achievement potential, that the OTHER tank can watch for you to get low, and then taunt him off you while heals are landing on you. Since your other tank can do that from a distance, Dred will go lumber over to him. Heals land, you toss a heal on the OT and then taunt him back. Viola! :-)
Kelaan

Postby Elsie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:00 am

Boss puts a dot on the tank dealing 100% more bleed damage. Adds put bleeds on the tank.

Kill adds.

Also.. use a pvp trinket or bring a shaman.
Elsie

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:15 am

Keep at it. He's the toughest optional boss I've come up against so far. :)

If you have a mage with you, ask them to buff Amplify Magic on the group since it's a purely physical damage fight.

You could bring an Ironshield Potion with you and use it before the fight. You'd be surprised at how much that can help.

You should be able to get it done without two tanks if you aren't going for the achievement. Good luck.
Doogiehowser

Postby Pizbit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 am

Back when I first went in I went on the rule of thumb, if 2 debuffs or more from the boss I'd pop divine protection.
Eh, honestly just clear out adds, pull him to the bottom of the stairs and have your way with him.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Return to General Strats