Remove Advertisements

The use of Sacred Shield as a Tank?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

The use of Sacred Shield as a Tank?

Postby Phul » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:48 pm

New 3.1.0 talents 1/1 Divine Sacrifice and 2/2 Divine Guardian seems pretty solid talents for a Prot Paladin?

The Sacrifice would be good only for being the offtank tho, would it not?

And the Guardian? Which makes me wanna put up another question, would there ever be a situation where you'd be casting an Imp. Sacred Shield on yourself? As an addition to Holy Shield, or is the attitude more towards, let the healers worry about shields?

E.g. I tank mostly 10mans, us having a group of IRL friends, we find it the most fun just keeping it short scale. And we don't have a Paladin healer. We have a Ret Pala, and Im tanking as Prot ofc. Our healers are Resto Druid, Disc Priest and a Resto Shaman. So would it be of any interest to me, to selfbuff Sacred Shield, or not??

Also, if anyone knows.. how do shields function when cast on top of eachother? Im thinking of e.g. Sacred Shield, Power Word: Shield and Earth Shield? Do they stack? And in which case, how, and in what order do they get ripped??

//Phul
Phul

Re: The use of Sacred Shield as a Tank?

Postby Venoseth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:59 pm

You have to take damage to proc Sacred Shield, so Power Word: Shield would be taken down first, then, once damage proc'd, you'd get both a SS and an Earth Shield proc, then the Earth Shield wouldn't Proc again until after the SS went down.

Unless I'm mistaken (earth shield's the one I know the least about).
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Postby Worldie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:53 pm

Bare in mind our SS is generally weak enough to be bypassed by a single hit.

(this absolutely doesnt mean it's useless)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby QuantumDelta » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:17 pm

whenever a holypally isn't keeping it on you, use yours. :P
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Sarima » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:00 am

I assume that when a Holy paladin casts his shield on you, the stronger shield will overwrite the weaker one (whoever's it is)?
Worldie wrote:[...]omg, WotLK will seriously hurt my bran.
Sarima

Postby vexryn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27 am

I tried testing this out the other day in a Loatheb fight, and thought I noticed something unusual... it appears that any time Sacred Shield procs, I can NOT also get a block.

Unfortunately I wasn't getting a WWS on the fight, so I can't go back to verify, but it appeared that I was getting EITHER a block OR a Sacred Shield proc, but never both (and yes, I'm block capped).

With my gear, Sacred Shield was covering something like 2k damage, while my block was about 1800, but I never got 2,000 mitigation from Sacred Shield AND 1800 block.

If this is correct, it radically diminishes the value of casting Sacred Shield on yourself as a tank, as the marginal value of the spell (even with your spellpower thanks to TbtL) over a block is limited in most cases (I guess slightly more useful in a fight where I'm in avoidance gear and have less block value).

Can anyone confirm this for tankadins who cast Sacred Shield on themselves?
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 am

Pretty sure that's a combat log error. Also don't forget about Death bloom eating away and you may be close to full blocking his attacks.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby vexryn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:54 am

Majiben wrote:Pretty sure that's a combat log error. Also don't forget about Death bloom eating away and you may be close to full blocking his attacks.

The reason I had noticed it is that I'm so close, but NOT fully blocking, his attacks.

I was expecting to see that the stacking of Sacred Shield and my block value would result in many fully-mitigated attacks.

However, in practice I was seeing (I believe) a small amount of damage still coming in on EVERY blow, and my scrolling combat text (for whatever that's worth) indicated a series of reductions from EITHER block or Sacred Shield but not both.

I will try to get a WWS parse on it later this week and report back further.
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby Conaan! » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:25 am

Vexryn wrote:
Majiben wrote:Pretty sure that's a combat log error. Also don't forget about Death bloom eating away and you may be close to full blocking his attacks.

The reason I had noticed it is that I'm so close, but NOT fully blocking, his attacks.

I was expecting to see that the stacking of Sacred Shield and my block value would result in many fully-mitigated attacks.

However, in practice I was seeing (I believe) a small amount of damage still coming in on EVERY blow, and my scrolling combat text (for whatever that's worth) indicated a series of reductions from EITHER block or Sacred Shield but not both.

I will try to get a WWS parse on it later this week and report back further.

SCT does not show it, its a bug in it, the combat log will show it though
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby toothdecaykills » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:36 pm

Keep in mind that 3.1 introduces a target limit to Sacred Shield. Divine Guardian thus increases the scaling and makes it easier to babysit on you or anybody else, like say an offtank. This would be extremely handy in fights with multiple tanks where you may only have one Holy Paladin.
toothdecaykills

Postby Garath.Gorefiend » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Frankly, when I am acting as a tank on a boss fight, I wouldnt want to waste a cooldown on SS...

I may pop it when I am not in a threat rotation (Sapph flight phase, Maly Air Phase), but otherwise, its not worth the loss of the cooldown in my opinion
Garath.Gorefiend

Postby Spectrum » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:52 pm

I mostly tank 10s (and it sometimes comes up in 25s due to fail pallies). The question is, why wouldn't you be casting it? Before a pull it's a free bit of mitigation. During fights I often can fit in in as a "9" ability every 27 seconds. I often even keep it up on the off tank. Even if it is just 3% mitigation why wouldn't you do it? We will go to much greater lengths for 3% mitigation.

Granted, it doesn't scale well and it really isn't a big deal on big hitters like Malygos. On trash and weaklings like Loatheb it can absorb a lot of damage.

Also, currently it is proccing off a lot of environmental damage, like Sapphiron's aura, and can be used on unlimited targets. During Sapph's air phase I toss it on everyone within range. It absorbs a fair amount of damage, but even if it only procced four times and absorbed 1500 damage each time that would be 6k damage absorbed for a cheap instant cast. Why wouldn't you?

Frankly, if you don't have SS up all the time you either aren't optimizing for mitigation or you're doing it wrong.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Venoseth » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:17 pm

While this is a SShield topic...something that I've heard, and was curious is...I've been told that whenever your SShield is proc'd on someone (doesn't matter who) that all of your FoLs get a +50% crit.

So...let's take Sarth3D as an example, if I cast my SShield on myself, and the holy Pally who's healing has his SShield cast on the DK who's tanking Sarth...so, if that pally healer casts a FoL on me, and my SShield's proc'd he doesn't recieve the benefit?

Anyone who can clear this up for me (I can't read the verbage, 'cuz I'm at work).
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Postby Candiru » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:16 am

The +50% crit to FOL is only when healing someone with the proced shield I think.
Candiru

Postby Muffswindler » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:09 am

Yes, when you have SS on yourself any incoming FoL has an increased 50% chance to proc. I don't see any downside in getting this ability considering that it has a minute long duration and to be frank, if you arent out threating your dps in a minute then you are doing something wrong in your Rotation. So, I don't see wasting a global cooldown if you aren't having major threat issues. It also allows a Holy Pally to use their SS on another raid member since Blizzard made it so SS can only be applied to one person at a time.
Muffswindler

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations