Glyphs in 3.1

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Glyphs in 3.1

Postby Aldonza » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:53 am

I'm probably going DP, SoV, and then I'll just get one of the guild inscriptionists to make me a bunch of the Judgement and HotR ones. I'm slightly behind the warrior in our guild in terms of gear (primarily due to his stat stick), but also, he tends to be the go to 25 man MT. Of course, he gets cushy jobs like 3 drake tanking while I run around collecting a zillion adds...but I digress...

I tend to be the add tank and primary OT, which does not bother me (not for progression). If we happen to be going along with a fight that needs more add control, I'd rather have HotR. I may go with that initially because TPS is not an issue for me, so the loss of Judgment shouldn't be too bad. Now, long term, I can see me re-glyphing that 3rd one depending on the fight (or until one is arguably better than the other).

For my regular 10 man (which will be put on a slight hiatus for a bit until our guild gets 25 man Ulduar under control), I'll likely go with Judgement unless one or the other is arguably better. I am the primary MT for that group, and I tend to try to keep my TPS way up there in that role.
Aldonza
Maintankadonor

Re: Gyphs in 3.1

Postby Solare » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:01 am

Knaughty wrote:Hunters, Rogues, Warriors, Wand-users (all clothies?) all get decently itemised stat-sticks.

Shaman, Paladin, DKs get crap. Can't recall if Druid ones are good or bad.

And they certainly at least have a pick of their decently itemized stat-sticks, as well. So it appears that as a class you have two choices:
1) Normal Class - Get a stat stick because your ranged weapon (or in hunters' case, melee weapon) isn't used very often BUT you get the abilites listed on it, regardless.
2) Relic Class - Get what is essentially a weaker glyph slot, and have the options be so dramatically limited that level 70 badge items can still be best-in-slot.
Solare

Postby Jasari » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:02 am

When bashing librams, you have to recognize that we're balanced around not having a stack stick in that slot.
Jasari

Postby Conaan! » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:34 pm

relics arent bad, they give interesting effects that are really straight-forward, i personally prefer them
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Venoseth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:10 am

Conaan! wrote:relics arent bad, they give interesting effects that are really straight-forward, i personally prefer them

While I agree that I like librams, and wouldn't want a shotgun, it'd be really nice if they put a little thought into them so we didn't have so many useless librams (compounded by the short supply).

On the subject of glyphs, I'll be using SoV / DPlea / Judgement. We use judgement EVERY CD, so the 10% from the glyph is really steady, which I like.

About RD glyph, using RD and 4 horsemen: I tank in the front, and I use RD on every pull. If you didn't know, RD has a 40 yard range, longer than the average 30 yard range taunt. Not to mention that you can target the other person, as opposed to the mob, giving you even more distance than your counter-part (so long as he's not another pally). I have RD set to scroll-wheel up (or hand of taunt if it misses), so I just spam it as we initiate a swap, then the other tank taunts off of you a moment later. Has yet to fail me. The easiest way is to set the "Target Focus" keybind to something convienent, and set the other tank as your focus. ^^ I use T...very original. XD
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Postby majiben » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:43 am

The range on RD is deceptive because it only works if the player the mobs are attacking is within 40 yards of you. So you could encounter a situation like the one below where you would be unable to taunt even if the mob was close to you.

Code: Select all
Tank---15Y---Mob----------35Y---------Victem DPS
Tank---------------50Y----------------Victem DPS

Worst part is many people have the instinct to run from mobs so you may not be able to get close enough to the victem to taunt as they run away.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:15 am

Their problem.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Dorvan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Majiben wrote:The range on RD is deceptive because it only works if the player the mobs are attacking is within 40 yards of you. So you could encounter a situation like the one below where you would be unable to taunt even if the mob was close to you.

Worst part is many people have the instinct to run from mobs so you may not be able to get close enough to the victem to taunt as they run away.

This is correct, and definitely came into play on A'lar.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 pm

Jasari wrote:When bashing librams, you have to recognize that we're balanced around not having a stack stick in that slot.

† Citation Needed

Balanced how? The rest of our gear is the same as warrior gear.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Levantine » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:28 pm

Majiben wrote:The range on RD is deceptive because it only works if the player the mobs are attacking is within 40 yards of you. So you could encounter a situation like the one below where you would be unable to taunt even if the mob was close to you.

You guys need to run with more Night Elves. >_> <_< >_>
Levantine

Postby Dokidoki » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Can someone explain to me exactly how bad the hand of salv glyph would be? I have not yet had the experience of testing ulduar and my threat has always been phenomenal, I'm wondering whether or not it is possible to eat the threat reduction for the cd.
Dokidoki

Postby knaughty » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:32 pm

Dokidoki wrote:Can someone explain to me exactly how bad the hand of salv glyph would be? I have not yet had the experience of testing ulduar and my threat has always been phenomenal, I'm wondering whether or not it is possible to eat the threat reduction for the cd.

The problem is that the glyph isn't -20% to TPS, it's -20% to total threat.

IE: You've been doing 7k TPS for 1 minute. Pop HoSalv. Lose roughly 84k threat. You're effectively running at -2.5k TPS for 10 seconds.

Pop it at 5 minutes? Boom... lose over 400k threat.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Selinaria » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:58 am

I am probably gonna run DP/Judgement/SoV with a full stack of HotR and HoSalv (for situations where they will be useful) sitting in my bags (along with replacements of the first 3 of course) since it no longer takes a Lexicon to switch as per patch notes:

Blizzard wrote:Applying a glyph no longer requires a Lexicon of Power. The same rules for switching between dual talent specializations now apply to switching glyphs and cannot be performed while in combat, Battlegrounds (except when Preparation is up), or Arenas (no exceptions).
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Selinaria

Postby majiben » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 am

Knaughty wrote:
Jasari wrote:When bashing librams, you have to recognize that we're balanced around not having a stack stick in that slot.

† Citation Needed

Our scalars are different for stamina and str.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Jasari » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:48 am

Knaughty wrote:

† Citation Needed

Ghostcrawler wrote:Paladins, druids and death knights are designed around the fact that they don't have the stat allocation on a gun (or a shield in some cases) available.

We typically design Idols et al. without say Strength or Stam on them because we don't want them to just be guns with different art that you can't shoot.

If in the overall picture a class or spec is gimped compared to others who fill their same role, then that is a problem. But you can't just lift any single piece out of the whole package and scrutinize it. In those cases we almost certainly have implemented a difference on purpose. It is one of the things you have to do to justify having multiple classes.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 4&sid=1#33
Jasari

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents